Forget about Sygate Firewall

wolf

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 06:23 am
Symantec exec gets U.S. post

Any critic of the Bush administration using Sygate better watches out...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,344 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 06:30 am
You are incredibly paranoid. You are also talking about something that makes no sense.

What you are implying is something that would simply be impossible to hide. It would be in the source for the program.

If they did what you imply they will do it would take 24 hours for it to be all over the news.

Just because you don't know how to tell if your firewall gives the government access doesn't mean nobody else does.

Plus, it's a lot easier to simply hack the firewall. Or just seize the puter. Or monitor the lines....

If you want to be paranoid pick something that makes sense to be paranoid about.

[edit]fixed typo[/edit]
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 06:47 am
what a nuthole Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 07:18 am
What naivity. Don't trust any Bush government appointment to benefit you. If you haven't learned that by now, there's no hope for you.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 07:22 am
I suspect you didn't understand what Craven said. To summarize: good programmers can reverse assemble a program & see for themselves whether what you're suggesting they'll do has happened or not.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 07:45 am
wolf I am talking about viability, not intent.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:12 am
I don't talk to newbies.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:14 am
How much time did it take before anyone discovered the loopholes in Windoze? A firewall can very well be used for government purposes and you wouldn't even know it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 03:35 am
There is a big difference between a buffer overrun vulnerability in the program with the most lines of code in the history of commercial software and a simple firewall.

You are making a ridiculous claim and now are using ridiculous arguments to defend it.

It would take all of a few seconds to tell if the firewall is being breached. No programming experience is necessary.

Just go to command prompt and type netstat -a and it will list all the computers your computer is connected to.

If the government were connected to your computer it would show up there. Unless of course, the government also has windows in their pocket.

Look, the US government uses Windows, don't you think that's a better program to use for a crackpot conspiracy?

Get real wolf, firewalls are SIMPLE programs. I wrote a firewall for a server on a document that has fewer lines of code than this thread.

Having a backdoor in a firewall is something that would IMMEDIATELY be noticed. The government techies are simply not as good as the best of the private sector.

When it comes to firewalls people try to hack them all the time. They probe for vulnerabilities and for a company to include a backdoor would spell the absolute end of their sales. Wait, that's an appeal to common sense, maybe I should just stick with the clear cut ones with you.

Firewalls can be hacked easily. anyone who is not saavy enough to properly secure their system can easily be hacked.

Anyone who knows how to secure their system can easily detect a gaping hole like that.

What you suggest is simply absurd. That you resort to dumb comments about "newbies" is not going to help your glaring, and basic lack of understanding of the most simple concepts in programming.
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 11:33 am
The Bush security council does try to get Windows under their control, of course they do. You don't think all those lawsuits against them were for the principle of justice, do ya?

Newbie.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 11:36 am
wolf, you are acting like a child. I will not try to explain this to you.

You know you were wrong about Sygate and you are just hurling idiotic allegations and insults. Get a grip.

The lawsuits against Microsoft preceeded the Bush administration, again, get a grip on reality. You live in a fantasy world. Your allegations are meritless. Microsoft is being sued by their copetitors as well, do you claim their competitors do this to isntall a backdoor? LOL
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:06 pm
I try to get a grip, but it's really hard under this government. So much lies, so much deceit. Attempts to centralize the media corporations, attempts to control telecom companies.

Quote:
A former Securities and Exchange Commission chairman appointed court monitor of WorldCom Inc. on Wednesday was previously responsible for clearing U.S. President George W. Bush of insider trading concerning his involvement in Harken Energy
URL

It would be unimaginable if they wouldn't try to control Microsoft. Investigators have proven keys inside Windows to be the property of the NSA.

Quote:
The first discovery of the new NSA access system was made two years ago by British researcher Dr Nicko van Someren. But it was only a few weeks ago when a second researcher rediscovered the access system. With it, he found the evidence linking it to NSA.
URL

Now forgive me if I adress the appointment of a firewall exec as Bush' chief of internet security with a weary eye. You should do the same, in all honesty. Unless you're on the same team of course.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:15 pm
wolf,

I am not "on the same team" as Bush. But there is nothing to suggest I should consider it with suspicion. If I want to know if your allegation is true I will simply check for myself.

Since anyone can check (no need to even be a programmer) it would be sheer stupidity to do what you allege.

Please cite the "keys inside Windows to be the property of the NSA" after you explain what the heck you mean by that. I suspect you do not know much about computers, would that be a fair guess?
0 Replies

wolf

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:33 pm
The link is there. Investigate it, or don't.

http://www.heise.de/tp/english/inhalt/te/5263/1.html
0 Replies

RF-Omega

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 06:42 pm
With my extensive work on all types of Firewalls, I'd have to say that Sygate firewall actually isn't terrible. It is, actually, an OK free firewall. Of course, it does not rank anywhere near ZA or NPF, but it is pretty good. Besides, I'd use that over McAfee...*pukes*...What a PATHETIC company...

Now Tiny Personal Firewall, THAT'S a POS...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 07:45 am
Wolf,

First of all I am not going to argue the merits of the "key" that link claims the NSA has in Windows. If you care to believe that link please do so.

But I do have a question for you (that is earnest).

Do you know what that link's text means?
0 Replies