What's a good example of viral

chotki

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:01 am
like a viral video or viral campaign. I get the idea that it becomes popular and gets "passed" from person to person but is it used to only describe types of advertising, or just crazy sh*t that you might see on the internet through the Onion or something, or... how is viral different from something that is just really popular?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,716 • Replies: 3
No top replies

etan

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 11:28 am
@chotki,
What, viral like the flu? Smile

Viral is very hard to pin down. It used to mean any bit of news or content that got widely distributed just by interested folks. Like an email forward that finds its way into your inbox -- the way those spread is a very good example of a viral phenomenon. The other term somewhat related is "word of mouth," like how a movie with no advertising gets popular.

So, good examples? Well, of comedy I would say the SNL video shorts, like "d--- in a box," which was distributed like crazy a few xmases ago (the one with justin timberlake and those other guys from the show). I think it was even a youtube hit before it aired.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhwbxEfy7fg (this might be uncensored)

Advertising-wise, you've got gotvmail's Gary Busey campaign

www.garybuseyonbusiness.com

Which got blogged like it was going out of style a few months ago. That one is a weird example because the company is actually a top-tier virtual voice mail provider -- not at all who you'd expect to start a viral campaign. Arguably though it was the Buseyisms that spread the videos around the way it did.

Hopefully that sort of answers your question...
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 11:34 am
@chotki,
When I think of a successful viral marketing campaign, I think of BlendTec's "Will it Blend" videos.

Seriously.. they are selling blenders. How many people had heard of them before the videos, vs. afterward. They were great because not only were they entertaining and provide brand awareness for the company, they also were entirely based on advertising their product and it's capabilities.

http://www.willitblend.com/
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2008 08:09 pm
Here's a famous example of viral marketing:

They didn't film the commercial and then pay to air it, they just made youtube bait and counted on users sharing it with each other to get millions of views to the ad.
0 Replies