Roger Simon apologizes on behalf of the media

parados

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 11:49 am
@fishin,
Quote:
When John Edwards was still in the race I don't recall any of them asking how he was going the manage his duties as president (if he was elected...) if his wife had a recurrance of cancer.

http://www.spike.com/video/couric-grills/2836152

One of many instances of his running being questioned.
fishin

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 12:10 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

Quote:
When John Edwards was still in the race I don't recall any of them asking how he was going the manage his duties as president (if he was elected...) if his wife had a recurrance of cancer.

http://www.spike.com/video/couric-grills/2836152

One of many instances of his running being questioned.

*nods* Note the string of comments about how her asking them the question was inappropriate.
fishin

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 12:13 pm
@parados,
parados wrote:

They look like questions about Palin. "Sexist" questions perhaps in the case of Quinn, but isn't Quinn a columnist?

Has the word "media" been redefined to exclude columnists now? AFAIK Quinn does commentary, not hard news. But she's still a part of "the media".
Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 12:15 pm
@fishin,
fishin wrote:
Has the word "media" been redefined to exclude columnists now?

Given that Roger Simon is, himself, a columnist it would be an odd distinction.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 12:21 pm
@fishin,
fishin wrote:

And they damn sure should have asked him about it. It was certainly a question I had for him.
Her situation is unique. And unique situations bring about the need for unique and honest questions that may not be asked of everyone else. Again, she put herself out here. Deal with it. But I guess telling everyone to STFU is how they're dealing with it.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 01:39 pm
@fishin,
So it seems the media DID act the same way toward Edwards. Should they act differently with Palin because she is a woman?

Or maybe y0u should go back and tell all the Fox commentators and other RW radio windbags to STFU.
JTT

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 02:26 pm
@parados,
Quote:
Bill O’Reilly has a segment called Pinheads & Patriots. In one of his rants he attacked Jamie Lynn’s family because she is a teen who got pregnant.

Bill O'Reilly: On the pinhead front, 16-year-old Jamie Lynn Spears is pregnant. The sister of Britney says she is shocked. I bet.

Now most teens are pinheads in some ways. But here the blame falls primarily on the parents of the girl, who obviously have little control over her or even over Britney Spears. Look at the way she behaves.

http://www.crooksandliars.com/2008/09/04/obama-goes-on-the-factor-tonight-will-bill-oreilly-attack-sarah-palins-family/

This is a common trick from the right, an equally common trick from the Republican party. They get caught up in these highly contradictory positions but that's no problem for folks with such high levels of cognitive dissonance.
JTT

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2008 02:41 pm
@JTT,
See what I mean.

Quote:

Analysis: GOP contradicts self on Palin family

ST. PAUL, Minn. " People: Make up your minds.

For two days, the chorus from Republicans on TV news and in the halls of the convention has been resounding: Back off and let the Palin family be. "That's out of bounds," said Minnesota's Republican governor, Tim Pawlenty. "There's no need to be intrusive and pry into that."

Yet Wednesday found the following scenes unfolding:

_Sarah Palin's pregnant, unmarried 17-year-old daughter and probable future son-in-law stood in a nationally televised, politically packaged airport receiving line to meet and greet the Republican candidate for president.

_The extremely cute and bubbly Piper Palin, 7, made her debut on her mother's behalf, appearing in a video on John McCain's daughter's blog. "Vote for my mommy and John McCain," she said, giggling as Meghan McCain grinned.

_Bristol Palin and her 18-year-old boyfriend, Levi Johnston, were expected to appear together as part of the GOP political narrative at the convention Wednesday night, according to the young man's mother.

Huh? The Republican message about the Palin offspring comes across as contradictory: Hey, media, leave those kids alone " so we can use them as we see fit.

http://news.yahoo.com/story/ap/20080903/ap_on_el_pr/cvn_measure_of_a_nation_palin_family_politics

0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 06:53 am
Thanks for the examples, fishin.

I think that this is something that can maybe only be meaningfully discussed after a Pew study or something -- a really thorough survey of who was saying what when.

Because I haven't read enough to assert that nobody in the media went over the line, at all. (And I agree that while Schultz is pretty obscure, I can see the annoyance with the other two examples you mention.)

I'm saying that by and large, in my opinion, the media did what it needed to do here. It did the vet that McCain didn't, and that's a good thing.

But none of us have the time to do the kind of survey that could prove or disprove that point.

I'm not sure a Pew survey would quite cover it either, because they tend to differentiate between positive and negative stories -- but I think there are different kinds of negative stories. One is, "She says she was against the Bridge to Nowhere but in fact was originally for it." That's negative but IMO entirely valid. Then there's "she faked the pregnancy" which is negative but over the line IMO. (Did any mainstream news organizations pick up on that one though? Or was it just DailyKos and Sullivan? And Sullivan, as I said, took the position that sure it's unlikely but could someone definitively debunk it already?)

Clark Hoyt in the NYT today:

Quote:
By choosing a running mate unknown to most of the nation, and doing so just before the Republican National Convention, John McCain made it inevitable that there would be a frantic media vetting. It turns out that Palin was for the Bridge to Nowhere before she was against it, that she sent e-mail complaining about a lack of disciplinary action against a state trooper who was going through a messy custody battle with her sister, and that she never made a decision as commander in chief of the Alaska National Guard, one of her qualifications cited by McCain.

The drip-drip-drip of these stories seems like partisanship to Palin’s partisans. But they fill out the picture of who she is, and they represent a free press doing its job, investigating a candidate who might one day be the leader of the Free World.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/07/opinion/07pubed.html
Brandon9000

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 08:13 am
@sozobe,
Gosh, it's terribly complicated, but I think the the idea is that the print and TV media don't treat the two campaigns equally. Where are the hard hitting "New York Times" and CNN exposes of the Obama campaign?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 12:45 pm
@Brandon9000,
NY Times slams Obama for being 'New and not Improved'
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 01:02 pm
@fishin,
fishin wrote:

Are you serious? That some short memory you got there.

I guess one only notices if it's someone on one's own side on the receiving end...
fishin

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 04:22 pm
@nimh,
nimh wrote:

Are you serious? That some short memory you got there.

I guess one only notices if it's someone on one's own side on the receiving end...

Really? Or is your short term memory acting up? I've been supporting Obama in this campaign, remember? Wink

0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 04:30 pm
@parados,
Or maybe YOU should go back and tell the FOX commentators and RW radio windbags to STFU. Apparently you spend your time listening to them. I don't.
fishin

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 04:49 pm
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

Then there's "she faked the pregnancy" which is negative but over the line IMO. (Did any mainstream news organizations pick up on that one though? Or was it just DailyKos and Sullivan? And Sullivan, as I said, took the position that sure it's unlikely but could someone definitively debunk it already?)

I don't have any idea on who all carried the various stories. I don't have time any more to watch all of the news programs I used to watch. I did catch one news story (ABC Evening News) that aired after Palin publiclly stated that her daughter was pregnant and they alluded to the DailyKos story with something about how the McCain/Pailn campaign had released the info on the daughter's pregnancy "in response to internet rumors".

The pic of Palin in the flag bathsuit holding the rifle was featured on whatever the ABC "Entertainment" news program is that follows the ABC Evening News ("Entertainment Tonight"? "Extra"? One of them...) . They ran a 5 or 6 minute segment on the pic and her hunting in their typical sensationalized style and the very last statement made was a short quip about the "an obviously photoshopped picture". When they spend 3 minutes with the pic on screen and 1/10th of a second saying it was photoshopped which one sticks with the viewers?
parados

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 07:12 pm
@fishin,
You said you weren't aware of it. It was pointed out that it did occur. Now you are upset with those that pointed it out.
parados

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2008 07:13 pm
@fishin,
Entertainment Tonight and Extra are both syndicated as far as I know. Your local station bought and aired the show. It isn't from ABC.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2008 03:55 am
@parados,
I am? I wasn't aware that I was upset... Thank you for letting me know!
0 Replies