Lessons From An Ant

RexRed

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 07:52 am
Today I woke up really early with a foreboding feeling like my life was unfulfilled. I decided to take a morning stroll though the city and wake up slowly. There was a misty morning fog blanketing the city and the air was a bit cool and refreshing. Times like these when you feel like something is on your mind and you can’t seem to fathom how to carry it any further. I have been so angry lately where everything seems so insurmountable and my obsessive mind relentlessly going in circles unable to shake this feeling of well, hating the world. The only business open was a Starbucks so I went in and ordered a small coffee and then left Starbucks continuing my walk down main street. The homeless were out in full swing bumming spare change and I was not immune to their persistent banter.

About an hour into my walk I decided to sit on a park bench and contemplate life for a while. This was when I noticed a tiny ant trying to carry a giant piece of organic matter across what seemed like a huge expanse of brick sidewalk. I looked around an did not see another single ant or even an ant hill or dirt area anywhere. I wondered how this ant knew where it was even going along such an endless expanse. Yet there was this ant carrying this thing that was at least two times it’s own size. I could see it struggling and taking moments to rest. The going was extremely slow and almost futile yet the ant just kept on trekking.

The brick sidewalk seemed like an entire universe to this tiny almost infinitesimal creature. I thought about what was going on in the mind of this ant. Was there a starving family of ants awaiting the return? Were they depending on the sustenance the seemed almost unlikely to ever reach its destination? It amazed me the heavy load that one solitary ant could carry. That this ant could seemingly with only the energy of one soul accomplish so much. That such a tiny creature could have such energy of conviction was reassuring. That here I was vacillating and bound still in my own conflict yet this ant happily struggled along the way unhindered by this daunting task.

Then I though of my own universe and how seemingly small I am compared to the billions of planets, solar systems and distant galaxies. Then I looked around and noticed all of the things that the world had built. Cars, a network of streets and tall buildings. It paralleled this same conviction to carry and deliver to the world an effort far beyond one’s own limitations. I realized that an actualized life gives more than it takes in return. The energy of life is exponential when coupled with determination, commitment and desire.

How could an ant have more conviction than me? Here I am feeling broken and self defeated, yet there is this tiny ant happily struggling along with so much less to appreciate. By sheer scale and proportion I paled this day compared to this ant in my own duty to life.

I got up and left this struggling ant with its heavy load and somehow life did not seem as insurmountable. I learned from the determination of this tiny ant that life has the power to move mountains, we need only to allow the energy within to move with the fortitude of self resolve.

To think that an ant sees its own rewards in life worth overcoming the pitfalls of defeat, it behooves one to get back into the game and fulfill life’s call to duty. To haul the load and reach our destination with success, drive and determination. If a tiny little ant can do it, so can I…

RexRed

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:33 pm
No matter what the world heaps upon us, we still have to pull the cart.

It is the energy of conviction that separates those who win from those who fail.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:44 pm
"Everyone knows an ant can't
Move a rubber tree plant..."

Words from a silly old song, but I like them.
Hang in there, Rex.
0 Replies

JustBrooke

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 08:50 pm
@RexRed,
Wow! This was wonderfully written, Rex.

Absolutely beautiful. I would have missed it had you not posted about it on the other thread. I'm glad I did not. It's one of the best things I've read in a long time, to be truthful. Thank you for posting it.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 09:16 pm
@RexRed,
Good post, RR. Be the ant.

0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 09:33 pm
Nice.

Relative size in the scope of things can feel overwhelming and diminishing. I like your ant perspective. Further shows that even the smallest things can matter.
OGIONIK

Reply Sun 24 Aug, 2008 09:37 pm
@squinney,
i chose to admire the wolf.

the ant is no less admirable.
RexRed

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 05:10 pm
@OGIONIK,
Quote:
i chose to admire the wolf.

What is it about wolves that fascinates you most? Smile
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2008 05:29 pm
@RexRed,
How could an ant have more conviction than me? Here I am feeling broken and self defeated, yet there is this tiny ant happily struggling along with so much less to appreciate. By sheer scale and proportion I paled this day compared to this ant in my own duty to life.

these sentenses make me think of my school days in Madras( India)
I wish to die a real decent critical communist due to the collective co-operative struggle of such example.
Forget the rest basesless, unsocial insects that run around the globe with Channel5 and BMW.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 12:41 am
Inspirational post, Rex.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 09:59 am
Ants in my pants. Smile
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 01:20 pm
@RexRed,
Very well done, Rex!
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2008 01:28 pm
@RexRed,
Quote:
Ants in my pants.

During childhood, I sat near an anthill
and had that happen; uncomfortable.
I fled to the bathtub. That worked.
RexRed

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:46 am
"red" ants Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 08:54 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:

I have never really heard of that actually happening till now. Smile
OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:07 am
@RexRed,
Quote:
Re: OmSigDAVID (Post 3375645)
Quote:

I have never really heard of that actually happening till now.

Thay were Red ants; musta been commies.
RexRed

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2008 09:42 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
Thay were Red ants; musta been commies.

Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 29 Aug, 2008 11:49 am
"Horton Hears A Who"

A great animated movie watching it now...

http://www.hortonmovie.com/site/index.html
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2008 09:41 am
I wonder if ants have to carry their laundry to the Laundromat?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 18 Feb, 2011 12:27 am
http://science.slashdot.org/story/11/02/17/2243203/Ants-Build-Cheapest-Networks?from=headlines
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Lessons From An Ant
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 09:25:14