1,000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 09:23 am
http://www.1000recordings.com/blog/
I have been getting names and checking some on youtube.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 545 • Replies: 6
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 10:52 am
Hi Edgar, I'm not sure about 1,000 recordings, but I'm sure I've listened to some number much greater than 1,000. It all started when I was in the air force back in the late fifties when I purchased a hi-fi kit you had to assemble yourself. The magic of that period was the simple fact that I put it all together, and it worked the first time we put a record on it! I was hooked on music from then on, but I'm afraid listening to all that loud music hurt my hearing. Fast forward to the 1970's when my wife and I started to attend concerts at the San Francisco Symphony. We drove up to San Francisco on Friday evenings for over 13 years until I found the drive too exhausting at my age, but we did see some of the world's best artists and conductors. That was really a pleasurable period of my life. I have a pretty good collection of CDs that includes jazz, blues, rock, and classical music which I've neglected for over two decades. I've stored most of them in our garage, but they are easily accessible.

Most of my music listening is now relegated to my car radio. I have xm on my car, but discontinued paying the subscription, because I'm infrequently in my car - about 5,000 miles/year.

When I go to Chicago and meet up with some a2kers there, we usually go to jazz/blues clubs to listen to some great musicians. That's been the extent of my "live" music for the past several years.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 07:40 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I will never buy the book or be able to find all those recordings, but I think it's interesting that people want to preserve and promote the best recorded sound.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 07:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
A thou is low, IMHO...

Got access to a private library, however...
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 08:46 pm
@Rockhead,
Thing about the collection in the book, it includes a lot of music I would not ordinarily look for. I am interested for that reason more than any other.
Rockhead

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 08:50 pm
@edgarblythe,
I was not uninterested, sir... Wink
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 23 Aug, 2008 09:11 pm
@Rockhead,
Okey dokey.
0 Replies