@boomerang,
Thanks guys!

How's the bat going, boomer?

Here are a couple more pics.

Decided to make a fish candy bag out of extra fabric:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/fishcandybag.jpg

A view of the mermaid:

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d130/sozobe/mermaid1-1.jpg

The weather is stupendously gorgeous. I've jettisoned the cloak. With the silk undershirt and tights she was warm -- added fleece pants later should do the trick, weather-wise.
sozobe

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 01:47 pm
@sozobe,
One mildly annoying thing about having found matching fabric... everyone thinks it came the way it looks now.

I did all kinds of tweaks, especially adding a kick pleat in the back (it had just been a slit, which made for easy walking but looked bad) and taking off the fakey foam "seashell" bra and making the front look like a continuous evening gown sort of thing. I did a good enough job that nobody can tell I did it. Which is good I guess, but people think I made the crown/ garland and that's it. Hmph.
Tai Chi

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 01:55 pm
@sozobe,
It looks great, soz. And I'm so glad the weather is cooperating (a week ago we had snow!). Nothing sadder than a great costume hidden under a parka, but tonight should be great for trick or treating.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 01:57 pm
@sozobe,
That's amazing!

I know I shouldn't laugh but it is kind of funny that you did such a good job nobody knows you made it. I'm not surprised. I know how inventive you are.

Great job!

The bat costume.....

<humph>

After several rejected ideas I was about to give up and convince him to be Batman so I could just go buy something.

There is not a lot of actual bat stuff out there and all of the vampire-person looking things were eye-roll inducing. At one point he even asked me if I knew what a bat looked like and that maybe we should find some pictures or something.

In a last ditch effort, I bought a fright wig, glued the hair up into two points and gave the rest of it a close trim. He was a bit more enthusiastic about that version.

I'll get some photos of him once we put it all together tonight.
sozobe

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 02:11 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
In a last ditch effort, I bought a fright wig, glued the hair up into two points and gave the rest of it a close trim. He was a bit more enthusiastic about that version.

Ooh, smart!

Quote:
I'll get some photos of him once we put it all together tonight.

Looking forward to 'em.

I took some photos with my "real" camera too that should be better, will either post or send some of those once I get 'em developed. There is one series that I really like... there was a Halloween party at school and she wore her costume for that, then came home and was tired and lay down on the couch. Too tired to change out of her costume, just wanted to lay there and watch TV. I realized she looked super mermaidy laying there and there was nice light, so I took a bunch of langorous-mermaid pics, they looked great in the viewfinder anyway...
boomerang

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 02:27 pm
@sozobe,
Those sound great! You still have my email address, don't you?
sozobe

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 02:33 pm
@boomerang,
I do!

I'm worried they might be too dark though... we'll see!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 02:35 pm
@sozobe,
Oh, that costume of sozlet looks very lovely and luckily the weather is holding
up for you too.
jespah

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 06:14 pm
@CalamityJane,
You did a fantastic job!
sozobe

Reply Fri 31 Oct, 2008 06:17 pm
@jespah,
Thanks, peoples!

Trick or treating is over and she was toasty warm the whole time. Thank you, freakishly warm weather! (I know, Tai Chi, us too. Just a few flurries on Monday, nothing that stayed on the ground but still.)

Happy Halloween to all...
boomerang

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 03:50 pm
@sozobe,
It rained almost all day yesterday but cleared up just before the sun went down so it was full throtle trick or treating.

Here's Batboy Mo and a couple of photos of our yard decorations:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/batboy.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/dogbone.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/scarecrow.jpg
sozobe

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 06:37 pm
@boomerang,
Oh wow!!

Both your yard and your boy are wondrous.

What are the bat arms made out of?

Mo looks proud of his costume.

Your house... wow!! Love the skeleton doggie.
boomerang

Reply Sat 1 Nov, 2008 07:19 pm
@sozobe,
The inital bat arms were store bought Batman things. You can see the short wings in the photo. They were really cool -- you cranked them in and pulled a rip cord to make them pop out but Mo didn't think they were "batty" enough since they didn't come down between his legs like a real bat's wings.

So I spray painted a broken patio umbrella. Drilled holes in the Batman wing armature and wired the bigger wings on so that they could still be retracted and pop out. It was pretty fun.

Doing the yard was a blast. I found this thing called a bubble fogger -- it blows bubbles filled with fog! When the bubbles pop there is this little fog bomb inside. Very cool! We ended up with crowds of kids on the porch popping bubbles. So much fun. If you can find one at an after-Halloween sale I highly recommend it.
0 Replies