Overcharged credit card help.

littlek

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:08 am
@OCCOM BILL,
O'Bill, below is what the credit card statement says. My bank account says that $100.00 is there, cleared and all (with no ODP fees incurred). So, maybe once the extra charge the establishment laid on me is absolved, this $100.00 will be returned and I'll have no transfer and no charges.......

Quote:
Pending BANK OF AMERICA ODP Temporary Authorization $100.00 $100.00
Transaction Date: 08/19/2008
Transaction Type: Temporary Authorization
Reference Number: TEMP
A temporary authorization is an approved transaction that has not yet been posted to your account. The amount of the transaction has been deducted from your available credit. Normally, a temporary authorization converts into a posted transaction, but if the merchant doesn't complete the transaction it will expire and the temporary charges will be removed.
dagmaraka

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:18 am
@littlek,
did you call Bank of America? They're used to explaining charges....somebody will be able to tell you how it is and what you will and won't be charged and what you can do. I had pretty good experience with customer service.
FreeDuck

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:30 am
@littlek,
Is it Bank of America? That's who I have and they have very strong guarantees about these things. It should not cost you a penny.
littlek

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:32 am
@dagmaraka,
I did call them last night.....
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 11:39 am
@FreeDuck,
i think so too. all those pending charges tend to clear up...it just takes a few days.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 12:17 pm
@littlek,
Quote:
O'Bill, below is what the credit card statement says. My bank account says that $100.00 is there, cleared and all (with no ODP fees incurred). So, maybe once the extra charge the establishment laid on me is absolved, this $100.00 will be returned and I'll have no transfer and no charges.......

Quote:
Pending BANK OF AMERICA ODP Temporary Authorization $100.00 $100.00
Transaction Date: 08/19/2008
Transaction Type: Temporary Authorization
Reference Number: TEMP
A temporary authorization is an approved transaction that has not yet been posted to your account. The amount of the transaction has been deducted from your available credit. Normally, a temporary authorization converts into a posted transaction, but if the merchant doesn't complete the transaction it will expire and the temporary charges will be removed.
I'd lay 10 to 1 your ODP Authorization will expire providing there is no overdraft, which there should not be. Unless the restaurant employee was a complete idiot (possible); he/she would have used the same authorization code for both the $30 dollar charge and the larger authorization... which effectively cancels the authorization on the restaurant CC processor's end as soon as the $30 was put through on the "end of day" report.
My take: Restaurant made a small harmless booboo that would never have cost you a nickel.
ODP: Responded by readying itself to step in if need be, but ultimately will not need to be.
You: Unfortunately got spooked by the online reflection of the authorization making your funds appear to be about to be gobbled up. Had you not noticed anything; all of this would have passed harmlessly without your ever having had to do anything.

What I don't know is if your bank charges a fee merely for your ODP readying itself to step in. I seriously doubt it, because that would be pretty asinine.

If you're still worried (I would not be), call the bank and ask: Do I incur fees for ODP authorization? Or only if indeed that transfer actually takes place?
littlek

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 01:02 pm
@OCCOM BILL,
Why was it unfortunate that I got spooked?
OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 02:08 pm
@littlek,
Because you had to deal with being spooked (time & worry), when in all likelihood the situation would have taken care of itself.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 19 Aug, 2008 02:09 pm
@littlek,
Overdraft protection is a temporary loan, if and when you need/use it. But a bank generally gives you a grace period to repay this "loan", and you should not incur any ODP or interest charges if it is repayed during this time. My bank gives me 30 days (I think) to repay the ODP without incurring any charges.

If Bank of America charges just for using the ODP, without giving you any grace period to repay it, that really does not seem right.
littlek

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:01 pm
@firefly,
So, to wrap up the incident, here's what happened. The overcharge is gone, but the OD coverage went through anyway. There was a 10 dollar charge to the credit account for the service. I'd contest it (I never needed it to go through), but I could use the extra 100 bucks in my checking.
roger

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:26 pm
@littlek,
Whaaat!? There was no overdraft to begin with, and there is an overdraft charge?

I had this happen at work. We had bill in dispute, and eventually prevailed. This was an easy one, though. Sometimes it comes down to whether or not the vendor needs the customer more than the customer needs the vendor. Everyone should be in that position once in a while.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:16 pm
@littlek,
Agree with Roger. That's a ripoff! Was the $100 yours in the first place (just in a different account)? Or, do you have to pay interest on that too? It is certainly wrong to pay $10 to move your own money, for an overdraft that never happened.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 01:25 pm
@littlek,
Definately complain about it and get it reversed. I thought I some one made reference to BOA - was that your bank? I once had a charge for receiving a wire. I thought the money was going to show up similar to direct deposit - didn't realize there was a difference. They charged like $10 for the receiving a wire. I called them and they did point out that it is spelled out that there is a fee for wires. I started whining how I hate banks and companies that nickel and dime you about every little thing. They reversed the charge for me (even though in a sense it was my fault).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 06:43 pm
yeeeeeaaah, but I really could use the 100 in my account. I imagine they won't let me keep the 100 and refund the charge.
0 Replies