Get thee behind me, Satan

Foxfyre

Reply Thu 21 Aug, 2008 12:35 pm
Certainly Satan was portrayed as the serpent/snake in the Garden of Eden. Presumably his form was much different before the bruhaha when Adam and Eve were banished and the snake sentenced to crawl on his belly forever after. That was also the creation point of work for the man and pain in childbirth for the woman. All quite unscientific of course, but quite charming and colorful in the way the ancients described their world and the reasons that things are the way they are.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 10:10 am
I kind of thought this thread was going to be about the White Stripes album by the same name.

T
K
O
RexRed

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 10:56 am
@Letty,
Quote:
Most of us recognize Jesus as a man or a prophet, and when he was in the wilderness, and tempted by Satan, his bewildering comment was "Get thee behind me, Satan." Who would want evil at their back?

Another example of this unusual observation is the code of the old west. "To shoot a man in the back is the lowest form of cowardly behavior.

Consider the hermit in the kabala that guides us with his lantern through the wilderness of life. We follow at his back because if we were to move ahead we would be walking in darkness. Heaven has a hierarchy of power Christ being at the top, second only to God... Satan has a false light and thus cannot outshine the true light of God. Even a fallen angel cannot see without the true light, powered by the energy of God.

Genesis 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

Comment: Actually get thee "beneath" me Satan is probably a more accurate translation of that verse also. The Christian church is actually standing on the head of the antichrist. The antichrist cannot rise as long as there is even a single light (believer) left upon the earth. Light expels darkness.

This is why the devil "walks to and fro" upon the earth and is not everywhere present. The devil can only walk where light has been "by free will" hidden or obscured by unbelief or wrong teaching.

The devil did physically attack Jesus in the flesh (heel) but spiritually the devil was mortally wounded (head). This also supports the above below kind of logic as opposed to the ahead and behind imagery.

Hope this helps Letty Smile
Letty

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 11:33 am
@RexRed,
Indeed, Rex, it is a marvelous biblical explanation of the situation. Thanks, Maine. All input helps, y'all. Now I can have support for my discussion with my older sister when we talk once again.
Letty

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 11:36 am
@Diest TKO,
Strange, DTKO, my first reply to you vanished. UhOh. I tried to incorporate your musical observation by observing that often we "FACE the music and dance. You do know what the Baptists think of that.

Hope this reply works.
McTag

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 01:39 pm
@Letty,
The people all said "Siddown!
Siddown, you're rockin' the boat!"
For the devil will drag you under...
Letty

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 01:42 pm
@McTag,
By the big lapel of your checked coat. Laughing
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Fri 22 Aug, 2008 03:19 pm
@Letty,
Quote:
Indeed, Rex, it is a marvelous biblical explanation of the situation. Thanks, Maine. All input helps, y'all. Now I can have support for my discussion with my older sister when we talk once again.

Thanks Letty

I love to discuss these things with people when they have such thoughtful and heart felt questions and concerns. Smile

0 Replies

Kenson

Reply Fri 8 May, 2009 08:02 am
@Letty,
But Jesus turned and said to Peter, "Get behind me, Satan!
You are an offense to me, because you are not thinking God's thoughts but human thoughts!"

Words from a Spiritual book always carry double meanings,
one is OUTER worldly meaning and the other INNER heavenly meaning.

0 Replies