Things you can't part with for no particular reason

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 01:13 pm
Photos are strange. They are usually relatively unvalued when first taken, and some are even thrown away. Years pass, they accrue value. More years pass and some become seemingly priceless. More years pass and you pass too, and then a younger family member gets them and says, Who the hell are these people? Where is this anyway? and so to the trash.

Not the route of all photos, but probably of the majority.

Above written by a photo addict.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 01:16 pm
A friend of mine once imparted his wisdom on painting portraits, probably unoriginal -- give it to them right away, and they'll hate it. Give it to them after 5 or 10 years, and they'll rhapsodize.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 01:25 pm
I like seeing unflattering portrait paintings. It gives me some respect for both painter and subject.

Of course, I'm assuming the portraits I have in mind aren't flattering. Perhaps the person was a good deal uglier even than they appear in the portrait.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 01:51 pm
Reminds me of getting weary of seeing madonna and child paintings on my treks around museums in italy. #2034, #2035, it must be Tuesday in Perugia, and so on. Except that I got into looking at the babies. Some really really homely babies got painted...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 01:55 pm
Letters, hundreds of them. They fill a big trunk and lots of shoe boxes. One of these days I must open that trunk and see what's there, exactly, but I fear the waves of nostalgia (and the sense of how much time has passed) that will beset me...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 02:51 pm
Yes, D'art. I once put my mother's letters - not only from her to me, but lots of others - in a binder, in order, and made photocopies for my cousins of the relevant family letters. I almost but not quite finished when I gave up at some of the eternal grudge descriptions and which letter came first. That binder still sits in a box with little tabs sticking out.

It was hard to do, they didn't date letters except with Wednesday...
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 02:56 pm
Agreed re the problem of undated letters, ossobuco. If the postmark is legible, that of course helps. But that isn't always the case. I know I've tried to keep my letters in some kinds of sequence, but it would take many hours to sort them all out. Somehow I can never work up much enthusiasm for this. But I know what's inevitable if I don't do something--

"Can you believe he kept all these old letters? What did he think would happen to them, anyhow? Well, they're all going into the recycling bin!"
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 03:09 pm
Yes, envelopes with postmarks did help, but I think some were missing, sigh.

Well, my own cards and letters are in worse shape; I have kept them in batches tied with some sort of cord or in shoeboxes with a few years' worth probably well mixed.
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 03:12 pm
Hi bandylu!!!

It's so good to see you again!!!

I just moved, too.... from a very large house to a very small house.... I threw out lots of little tiny things from the kitchen junk drawer.... keys without labels, that were probably from three cars ago.... LOL....

My most valued unopened boxes contain all my cross-stitch supplies: patterns, threads, frames, unfinished projects.... and my sewing supplies: scraps of material, spools of threads, buttons, bobbins, pins, needles, etc.... I haven't sewn a stitch for years, but I could never part with any of those little boxes of snaps or hook-and-eye's.... LOL...

Luckily, I have a spare bedroom.... it's FULL of unopened boxes.... my plan is to slowly donate 'stuff' to the local Value Village.....

How's your back?? Moving those boxes was really hard on my back!!!

PaL
:-)
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 06:14 pm
Hi P&L! Yes, the back became rather sore, but it's feeling better now (I actually think moving all those boxes around has made it stronger). Now the legs are still kinda weak (went from very flat suburbia to hilly country and walking the dog around the yard is enough to make the legs quite wobbly, though that, too, is getting better. I might wind up in good shape despite myself!

Photos are a good example of things not to part with. I have albums of them and then boxes of them, too. In some cases there are maybe 5 or 6 copies of the same school photo of my kids. I don't need all those copies but sure can't throw them away.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 03:28 pm
Hey bandylu2 good to see you again. For me the only thing I would not part with are my memories. Both the good and the bad.

Pictures are good but I have found that with a little effort I can call up pictures without actually being able to see them.

Of course at my age I may not have a memory to much longer. But then I will not know what I am missing will I.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 07:34 pm
Hi. joanne, and I think of you as a kid (sort of), just getting started.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 09:59 pm
You could be right Osso - seems like it to me too sometimes. I already forgot to live and learn. But some day maybe someday I will grow up - not.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 10:04 pm
:wink:
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 01:18:10