Things you can't part with for no particular reason

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 08:58 pm
We just moved and thus far we're doing quite well with the unpacking. The kitchen is set up and usable, the clothes are in the closets (at least all that would fit in closets). But we still have a bunch of boxes filled with books and no place to put them.

The books were among the very first things I packed (wasn't using them and they pack so easily) and they will be the very last thing I unpack -- if, indeed, they ever all get unpacked. Since we were paying for the move by the pound and they are extremely heavy, the sensible and practical thing would have been to get rid of some of them, at least. But I couldn't part with them. Most have not even been opened for years, but I wouldn't dream of giving them away.

What things do you have that you'd rather keep in unopened boxes than part with?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,876 • Replies: 33
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:01 pm
Missed ya, glad to see you, bandylu.

Books, definitely books.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:03 pm
Books are my weakness, too.

I moved over 4 years ago, and still have boxes of books, and nowhere to put them. Had a garage sale, and got rid of some, but just couldn't let a lot of them go!

Wish I'd throw those old clothes out, too, not to mention shoes! Confused
0 Replies

safecracker

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:06 pm
my .308 and I have no real use for it.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:08 pm
All my backpacking equipment. Intellectually, I know I'll never use it again, but emotionally, well, maybe someday. . .

Sure glad to see Bandylu back on the boards.
0 Replies

EileenM

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:09 pm
yup books and magazines.... Good ol' Cosmopolitan and old 'Psychology Today".
I love them!! I've even kept magazines from when I was little because I thought that I could give them to my children. It's gross!
How do you pack anyways? We're moving to a different appartment next month and so I need advice on how to pack, what to get rid of, what to keep... how to make it painless
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:18 pm
There is no painless way to pack or to move (unless you can afford to hire someone else to do it and I'm not sure that wouldn't hurt, too). And the amount of pain is directly proportional to the amount of stuff you have which is also directly proportional to the number of years you've lived in your current abode. In our case we had 21 years of stuff from the last house, including the belongings of two kids who both had moved out without taking all their stuff.

roger, my husband still has his drill team jacket from the Air Force (c. 1964) and he wouldn't let me throw it away. At least your backpacking stuff might come in handy some day (you never know). Good to see you, my friend. Good to see everyone again.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:19 pm
Where shall I start? No; I'm not up to it. Got way too much junk.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:22 pm
Books. Magazine archive. Paper. It always seems to be paper, doesn't it?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:22 pm
No. Albums, too. Wax and paper.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:23 pm
I am attached to my books as well. I also have moved rocks from one side of the country to the other and up almost the full length of the east coast.

And these animals of mine.... just kidding.

Good to see you Bandylu.
0 Replies

bandylu2

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:35 pm
littlek, fortunately for me, my son and my daughter each took their rocks and shells. But I am guilty of taking some of their stuff which they decided not to take (for example my son's favorite stuffed animal when he was a wee one -- he could part with it, but I couldn't). I figure some day I may have grandchildren and they might want these things.

Actually, a case could be made for saving almost anything. Just check out ebay -- sooner or later anything might be worth money!
0 Replies

EileenM

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:36 pm
Yup, I have a bunny who has to make the move too... I have lots of clothes too.. bags of them. And things like bags of flour and sugar
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:46 pm
Oh.

Where to start!

Mostly old doodads, that sat on grandmothers' and mother's end tables and curios. Tiny tea cups and saucers, old plaques, boxes of ancient photographs, linen napkins of fruity colors, which I will never use. Ceramic statues... Most of these are boxed away. My children will have to throw them out after I die.

I find it difficult to throw out old shoes.
0 Replies

EileenM

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 09:57 pm
Oh shoes and purses!!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 11:38 pm
I have a dog stuffed animal I've had since I was 4 that will stay with me for life, photo's, my craft stuff, stuff that belonged to my father, my pets, and so much more. I've just got so much stuff that I can't part with. Good thing we have a big house and I don't have plans on moving anytime in the near future. Oh, I can't part with books either.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 11:51 pm
I don't think I could ever part with my collection of skulls. I have been collecting them for years. I have mink, raccoon, fox, beaver, weasel, woodchuck, deer, moose, dog, cat, horse, chipmunck, gopher, gazelle, wolverine, capybara, slender loris, rhino, duck, pheasant, otter, elephant, badger, owl, coyote, and many others. I dread the day I have to move because it will take several trucks just to handle my skull collection. But I will never, under any circumstances, part with it.
0 Replies

EileenM

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 11:39 am
Um skulls hey? hmmm...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 01:06 pm
dust

seriously, there's a lot of it round here. mostly on the books and records and the tent we got in germany after throwing away the other one because it leaked which wouldn't have been a problem if we'd just been in spain and portugal like we planned but it rains a lot more in austria and switzerland and germany and denmark where we somehow ended up so we had to buy a new tent, everything soaked from nights of storms in an undersized sieve.

and pointless memories.

somewhere or other i've lost all my old photos, which i used to lug around and never look at and now miss as bits of my brain fall out my ears and stick to the books and the records...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2003 01:09 pm
Oh, I agree, photos....
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Things you can't part with for no particular reason
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 09:21:37