What the hell is that thing?

eoe

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 08:48 pm
THAT IS TOO FUNNY!!!
Ooooweee. And I used to smoke too. Just not that close to my food! Shocked
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 09:00 pm
I've watched people smoking and eating at the same time. On that last job, in fact. I noticed cause, I was, like, eww.
Even when I smoked, I never ate something at the same time.

I quit in Feb. I've very proud of myself.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 09:07 pm
caribou wrote:
I've watched people smoking and eating at the same time. On that last job, in fact. I noticed cause, I was, like, eww.

Those of us of a certain age will remember a time when the smell of cig smoke was not considered to be a negative thing by most. Growing up (1960's-1970's) I remember a few people objecting to the smell of cigs while eating and them being promptly made fun of, or brushed off as whiners. Watch the show Madmen, it gives a good sense of how things were.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 09:21 pm
boomerang wrote:
What the hell is that thing?I

You know, boom, this would be a good topic for a thread called, "What the hell is that thing?", whereby people post various mystery objects and see who can identify them! :wink:
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 09:45 pm
hawkeye10 wrote:
caribou wrote:

Those of us of a certain age will remember a time when the smell of cig smoke was not considered to be a negative thing by most. Growing up (1960's-1970's) I remember a few people objecting to the smell of cigs while eating and them being promptly made fun of, or brushed off as whiners. Watch the show Madmen, it gives a good sense of how things were.

Don't presume to know so much about me.
<kick that high horse out from under you>
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 09:46 pm
Caribou so completely nailed my mystery object that I have no worry about anyone posting theirs for identification. I'm amazed that I got an answer so quickly.

Even well into the 80s everyone smoked. I remember ashtrays built into the desks in college. Some knucklehead started a no-smoking airlines that went bankrupt after about six months.

You can't open the paper these days without reading about something that will cause cancer. Our whole food supply is contaminated. You need a haz-mat team to shop for toys. Smoking is becoming retro-cool here.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 09:52 pm
What the hell IS that?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 09:58 pm

We need it here on A2K.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 10:03 pm
Don't put your lips on it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 10:07 pm
Yeah, I was reading this interview with a retired maternity doctor a couple years ago, recounting his house calls in a well-known working class neighbourhood in Utrecht; he'd come into these small houses, two small rooms on the ground floor, the mother with the newly born in bed in the back room, and in the front room uncles, aunts, neighbours gathered - all smoking, of course, so the rooms were heavy with grey smoke...

Ah them days of self-evident things!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 10:10 pm
caribou wrote:

Good for you! I'm very proud of you too!
0 Replies

Sglass

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 10:22 pm
caribou wrote:
Ha! Found it!

"These are the 1950 Colonial Lady ServASnack Trays.
Some people say that they are by Imperial Candlewick and others say that they are by Hazel Atlas.
The sections are an ashtray, drink holder and snack area. Each tray measures 11 inches x 6 inches including handles.
The cups have the candlewick feature on the handle and squared bottom. They measures 2-1/2 inches tall x 2-3/4 across.
I have 10 plates with cups available. These sets are in great condition with no discernable signs of wear."

http://i1.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/02/6a/8f66_1.JPG
Ebay page

Sandwich Glass? From Sandwich, Massachusetts of course.
0 Replies

lezzles

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2008 01:53 am
dlowan wrote:

Sobranies were just tres sophisticated.

They were black..with gold filter covers...or the cocktail Sobranies were all delicious colours.

They were smooth and luvverly.

The thought of Sobranies brings back so many wonderful memories!
Going to balls at the Trocadero in Sydney, dressed in some fabulous evening gown, hair done up in an elaborate coif, handsome partner in a tux, and thinking I was some glamourous movie star smoking my black and gold Sobranie Black Russians. Aahh me!

In Wikipedia I discovered they still exist :

The Sobranie cigarette brands (Собрание) are produced in various places in Europe by the Gallaher Group. Sobranie of London was established in 1879, the original cigarettes were handmade in Russian tradition, and are still produced at Old Bond Street in London.

Premium varieties include the evening-out styles Sobranie Cocktail and Sobranie Black Russian, which are produced in Ukraine and as of 2005 in Russia itself. Sobranie produces several styles geared specifically for ladies, some slimmer than standard cigarettes and others brightly colored.

Cocktails are five separate pastel shades with a gold foil filter, and are the same ring gauge as standard cigarettes, unlike Nat Sherman's Fantasias, which are slimmer and use deeper, primary colors.
Black Russians are black with a gold foil filter. While both Cocktail and Black Russian variants are emblazoned with the Russian imperial eagle and use blends suited to Russian tastes, this is a different blend than Cocktails.
Sobranie is one of the most expensive cigarette brands in Russia, and is considered to be a brand comparable to Dunhill cigarettes.[citation needed]
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.64 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 11:18:23