What the hell is that thing?

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 04:45 pm
I was talking on another thread about this thingy I found at Goodwill and I still haven't figured out what it is supposed to be.

If it weren't for the section that seems to be an ashtry I would think it was some kind of serving dish but having an ashtray on your plate seems odd, even for some old thing at Goodwill.

Here's the (impossibleish to photograph) object in question:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/House/whatis.jpg

I forgot to add that it weighs about a half pound -- pretty heavy for it's size.

Any idea what it was used for?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,329 • Replies: 32
No top replies

eoe

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 04:48 pm
could the curvy part be an inset for a glass or cup maybe? Your combo ashtray/coaster type thing? Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 04:48 pm
Maybe the cigaret holder is a spoon handle holder, the inset a sauce/salsa/dip bowl holder and the other a place for a basket of bread type thing like corn chips or bagette slices.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 04:49 pm
Could the "appears to be a cigarette holder" be a spoon or knife rest? Looks like a dip and cracker plate with a little side area to rest the spreading knife but...
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:01 pm
It certainly could be for a spoon or a knife if they had really skinny handles. A pencil fits in there almost perfectly.

I bought 6 of them thinking they'd make great little dishes for tempura or sushi with a sauce area, or crudite and dips.

I didn't notice the little holder part until Mo pointed out that the dish was "broken". So I looked at the others and they all have that dip in the corner.

eoe- the other inset could certainly fit a highball (don't you love that word) glass -- one of those squarish ones with the rounded edges. But then what is the other part for? A snack?

It must be some kind of serving dish (note the handles).

Something about the dimensions of it make me think of airplanes. it is very close to the little plastic trays they bring you now (if they still do that these days).
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:06 pm
ah - sushi plate makes sense. The little holder could be for chopsticks, the well could be for soy sauce, and the rest could hold the sushi.

Are the overall dimensions for individual serving or group serving?

edit: just noticed the overall dimensions in your original photo. It could be a very fancy sushi plate.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:09 pm
Individual servings, I'd think.

But the section isn't really long enough to hold chopsticks. Maybe if the divot went the other way so the sticks would balance over the inset but the way it is, chopsticks would just tumble off.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:30 pm
It's a snack plate, and it probably had a matching cup that fit in the curvy area. The little ridge is so you can carry the plate without the cup sliding around.

Snack plates like this have been around for a long time. Yours may have been made in the Depression years - my mom had some similar. If they're Depression, they were probably giveaways (at the movies maybe?) They're not Asian at all...

The indentation is not a place for a cigarette. Could it be a place to put your thumb to carry the dish?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:38 pm
A snack plate makes sense but the thumb thing does not. Unless people had weird thumbs during the depression.....

It has those little handles on each side for carrying it around and if you use those you have to twist your thumb into a strange, unnatural position.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:39 pm
Oh! And I didn't think they were Asian -- I intend to use them for such foods though.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:42 pm
Ha! Found it!

"These are the 1950 Colonial Lady ServASnack Trays.
Some people say that they are by Imperial Candlewick and others say that they are by Hazel Atlas.
The sections are an ashtray, drink holder and snack area. Each tray measures 11 inches x 6 inches including handles.
The cups have the candlewick feature on the handle and squared bottom. They measures 2-1/2 inches tall x 2-3/4 across.
I have 10 plates with cups available. These sets are in great condition with no discernable signs of wear."

http://i1.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/02/6a/8f66_1.JPG
Ebay page
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:45 pm
Wow, caribou! Thanks.

It really is an ashtray. Smoking and drinking and snacking! I probably would have love the 50s. Missed it by 10 damn months.
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:46 pm
They sure liked their smokes back then...
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:50 pm
Oh, and Wy deserves credit for saying "snack tray".
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 05:58 pm
Just the thought of smashed up cigarettes next to food makes me lose my appetite. Boomer, maybe a single chopstick would fit into the groove.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 06:07 pm
Forget tempura, man. I'm gonna load those up with saltines, vienna sausages and velvetta with a side of mentholateds and a stiff shot of scotch.

Who wants to party!?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 06:17 pm
Oh jeeez -- major flashback -- Vienna sausages, aka vII-EEners (rhymes with weiners) if your from the south.

Pam, you got any vII-EEners in here? I'm starved.

Shoot.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 06:55 pm
boomerang wrote:
Forget tempura, man. I'm gonna load those up with saltines, vienna sausages and velvetta with a side of mentholateds and a stiff shot of scotch.

Who wants to party!?

Lol!!!

I smoked menthols very briefly, and I can recall a man I was living with at the time saying disgustedly:

"How can you smoke those things!!!??? If I die of lung cancer so be it...but I'm damned if I'll FREEZE to death!"

Remember Sobranies?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 07:25 pm
dlowan wrote:

Remember Sobranies?

Can't say that I do. Did they call them that because the brainies smoked them?

Honestly, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around a snack/ash tray.

Would that be a snaksh tray?

That sounds kind of James Bond, doesn't it?

"Bring me a snaksh tray, Pussy."
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2008 07:45 pm
boomerang wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Remember Sobranies?

Can't say that I do. Did they call them that because the brainies smoked them?

Honestly, I'm still trying to wrap my mind around a snack/ash tray.

Would that be a snaksh tray?

That sounds kind of James Bond, doesn't it?

"Bring me a snaksh tray, Pussy."

Smoking was just such an accepted part of life.

My parents for instance....one kid with asthma (and remember there was almost no treatment then, except doctors rushing in and injecting you with adrenaline until the wheezing stopped) and the other dying of cystic fibrosis (one of the effects of which is terrible lung problems) and they BOTH smoked! In the house...in the car....everyone (almost) did.

Sobranies were just tres sophisticated.

They were black..with gold filter covers...or the cocktail Sobranies were all delicious colours.

They were smooth and luvverly.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What the hell is that thing?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 11:19:20