Internet Flaming

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 06:35 pm
Flaming is the hostile and insulting interaction between Internet users. Flaming usually occurs in the social context of a discussion board, Internet Relay Chat (IRC) or even through e-mail. An Internet user typically generates a flame response to other posts or users posting on a site, and is usually not constructive, does not clarify a discussion, and does not persuade others. Sometimes, flamers attempt to assert their authority, or establish a position of superiority over other users. Other times, a flamer is simply an individual who believes he or she carries the only valid opinion. This leads him or her to personally attack those who disagree. Occasionally, flamers wish to upset and offend other members of the forum, in which case they are trolls. Most often however, flames are angry or insulting messages transmitted by people who have strong feelings about a subject.

Some equate flaming with simply letting off steam, though the receiving party may be less than pleased. Similarly, a normal, non-flame message may have elements of a flame -- it may be hostile, for example -- but it is not a flame if its author seriously intends to advance the discussion. The word flaming is also sometimes used for long, intensive and heated discussions, even though insults do not occur.

Some forms of flaming can be attributed to deeper social or psychological weaknesses, probably from lack of exposure to a broader spectrum of disciplines that result in self-control issues.[3]
It is noted that Internet users are more likely to flame online than insult others in the real world, as the latter can lead to embarrassment and physical altercations, which online "anonymity" can avoid. Others urge against flaming, citing that people on the other side "have feelings too."

http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Flaming+(Internet)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 839 • Replies: 10
No top replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 07:02 pm
ok. what about it?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 07:20 pm
Rama-lama-ding-dong here doesn't do English very well, and he has an almost hysterical hatred of the United States, of all things American and of capitalism. I suspect that he is a Marxist, or even a Maoist. He may have once described himself as a Marxist, but i don't recall.

Given those facts (and except for not recalling if he did say he considers himself a Marxist, those are facts), i suspect he frequently gets flamed. He considers that being told his English is poor or that his posts are incoherent is a form of flaming. I strongly suspect that he would consider any criticism of what he writes to be flaming. I am not surprised that he is obsessed with this.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 07:25 pm
flaming
Hello Dag,

From your bio: "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, shouting...."holy ****...what a ride!

Knowing that your work has centered you in conflict resolution, I'm not sure where you want to go with your posting? Are you implying that flaming on the internet is just another name for what has been discussed a million times?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 07:29 pm
You're making a lot of assumptions there, ML. Dashenka was just asking him, as far as i can see, why he felt it necessary to make a thread on the subject. I doubt that there are many people here who don't know what flaming is.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 07:33 pm
Hi Mapleleaf. I'm not implying anything (usually, if I want to imply something, I just say it or ask it). I am merely wondering what reactions is Ramafuchs looking for. Whether he wanted to discuss flaming in general, or on a2k or something completely else entirely.... since he didn't post anything besides copying and pasting the article. so my question is and remains "what about it?"

And as to my profession -- i am here as dagmaraka, not as a conflict resolution professional. i come here for play. not sure what that has to do with anything?
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Sat 2 Aug, 2008 08:25 pm
Thanks for the nice responses and regards to all the repondents.
I got what i wish to get.
Rama
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 05:18 pm
A2k is not a chat forum but a forum to get intellectula response.
Am i wong as usual?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 05:20 pm
Are you Wong?

You don't know whether or not you are Chinese?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 05:22 pm
Rama, a2k is both a chat forum and a place where you can get a semi-expert, quasi intellectual answer to questions. It is not either/or, but both.
0 Replies

Ramafuchs

Reply Mon 4 Aug, 2008 05:48 pm
I am Rama
I will never pick up to the two choice.
I observe the world as it is.
0 Replies