Best history of Europe during the Dark Ages?

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 05:21 pm
Anyone familiar with European history who could suggest the latest bestest book about Europe (primarily Western Europe) during the "Dark Ages"?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 804 • Replies: 4
No top replies

dov1953

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 08:11 pm
Smile I can half answer your question. The author is Barbara Tuchman, and I think the title is something like, "In a World Lit Only by Fire". It's the best I've read.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 09:43 pm
Shoot -- came in to print out three of four pages of this thread with helpful suggestions and they've gone poof! And the great photos, etc.... Darn!
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 10:33 pm
Avoid Tuchman, and the "world lit only by fire" book, which is not hers, like the plague.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 27 Oct, 2003 11:39 am
Will do some research. Once, at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts with my late close friend who was an art historian, I stepped from the gallery housing the last days of the classical world to the Medieval galleries. After seeing finely worked, minutely detailed silver jewelry, I was presented with crudely carved wooden statues. I gasped then grabbed MAry's arm and showed her what I had witnessed: the reason why the Dark Ages are called the Dark Ages.

Took an excellent course on the Dark Ages when working on my master's.
0 Replies