Village re-elects dead mayor

Reyn

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 09:14 pm
Village re-elects dead mayor

BUCHAREST (Reuters) - The residents of a Romanian village knowingly voted in a dead man as their mayor in Sunday's municipal election, preferring him to his living opponent.

Neculai Ivascu, 57, who ran the village for almost two decades, died from liver disease just after voting began -- but still won the election by a margin of 23 votes.

A local official said the authorities decided to keep the poll open in case Ivascu's opponent, Gheorghe Dobrescu, won, avoiding the need for a re-run.

"I know he died, but I don't want change," a pro-Ivascu villager told Romanian television.

In the end, election authorities gave the post to the runner-up, but some villagers and Ivascu's party, the powerful opposition Social Democrat Party (PSD), have called for a new vote.

--------------------------

Reyn says:

I would like to see this option available in Canada. I'm sure we can make this work a la "Weekend at Bernie's". Surely such a candidate could do no worse than current ones who are living.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 915 • Replies: 26
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2008 10:01 pm
If they would only round up all the mayors and shoot them down like dogs - - -
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 07:53 am
Yeah, but where would one stop? There's all the higher up politicians, etc. It would indeed be a blood bath!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 08:37 am
Reyn wrote:
Yeah, but where would one stop? There's all the higher up politicians, etc. It would indeed be a blood bath!
The first step is always the hardest.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 12:41 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Reyn wrote:

Hi, Dys. Yes, indeed, it'll be tough at first, but things will get better, right?
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 12:34 pm
Reyn wrote:

Make it easy, just shoot all the lawyers.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 04:49 pm
current score
reyn 66 views
dagmarka 94 views
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 05:38 pm
dadpad wrote:
current score
reyn 66 views
dagmarka 94 views

I guess I'm just not as popular. Oh well.......
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 05:55 pm
No Reyn, you're just not as pretty!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 06:26 pm
I would imagine that, in the mayors present state, he would be one of the most honest mayors in the towns history. Being dead, should not, technically, be an impediment to a successful term of office.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 06:36 pm
Brings to mind a certain John Ashchroft.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 08:39 pm
98 a piece.

I reckon your the dark horse reyn. A come from behind king.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 08:45 pm
dyslexia wrote:
Reyn wrote:
The first cut is the deepest, baby I know
The first cut is the deepest

Cat Stevens
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2008 09:13 pm
Diane wrote:
No Reyn, you're just not as pretty!

Look at this face! What's not to love?

http://www.able2know.org/forums/images/avatars/247993178486d867425d73.jpg

farmerman wrote:
I would imagine that, in the mayors present state, he would be one of the most honest mayors in the towns history. Being dead, should not, technically, be an impediment to a successful term of office.

Yes, I would tend to agree. Although, I would like to extend this to politicians other than mayors.

Imagine for a minute, a whole country run by dead politicians! I think this could be the start of a terrific trend!

dyslexia wrote:
Brings to mind a certain John Ashchroft.

Enlighten us, oh great one!

[takes deep bow]

dadpad wrote:
98 a piece.

I reckon your the dark horse reyn. A come from behind king.

Well, alright then! That sounds more like it!

Does that mean I can stop clicking into the thread now?

Chumly wrote:
The first cut is the deepest, baby I know
The first cut is the deepest

Cat Stevens

As sung by Mr. Chumly, and well done, I might add!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 06:51 am
reyn
Quote:
Imagine for a minute, a whole country run by dead politicians! I think this could be the start of a terrific trend!

We in the US have already adopted the model for our own Supreme Court. However, the corpses have been a bit too activist as of late. We need more stakes in the heart.

One of our townhips has a dead supervisor and he always , like Jeremy Bentham in the Royal Academy , votes "present"
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 06:19 pm
103 Vs 132 views

14 Vs 6 replies

Well done reyn That'll teach that upstart dagmarka not to try to usurp the king.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 08:29 pm
farmerman wrote:
reyn
Quote:

We in the US have already adopted the model for our own Supreme Court. However, the corpses have been a bit too activist as of late. We need more stakes in the heart.

One of our townhips has a dead supervisor and he always , like Jeremy Bentham in the Royal Academy , votes "present"

I'm sure we have something similar here in Canada.

Imagine, the dead politicians society.

dadpad wrote:
103 Vs 132 views

14 Vs 6 replies

Well done reyn That'll teach that upstart dagmarka not to try to usurp the king.

Yes, indeed! There are many who have their eye on the throne.

Hmmm, maybe I should be magnanimous and offer to share the glory here in Human Interest? Or would that be inhumane?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 27 Jul, 2008 11:01 pm
Hm, sorta reminds me that a surprising number of the inhabitants of many Texas cemeteries voted regularly for Lyndon Johnson.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 05:26 am
Being dead is no excuse for failing to exercisie ones duties as a citizen.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2008 05:35 am
I plan to start up a write in campaign for Thomas Jefferson.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Village re-elects dead mayor
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/03/2024 at 03:10:06