Posting a web page link, at a precise part of the page...

Roosh

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 12:59 am
Know what I mean?

Seems like some are able to post links citing not only a site's page, but to make it that so the link directly leads to a particular spot in the page as well, like 3/4 of the way down for example, to bring the reader's attention to a heading or something specific.

How do you do that?
Question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,044 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 01:09 am
Well there has to be a bookmark inside the page.

For example the suject near the date of your post has this type of link:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=357594#357594

Click on it and it will take you to the anchor.

It's done like this:

In the webpage there has to be a link like this "<a name="1a" href="#1a">"

When linking to the page that has one of those links you append a # and the name of the anchor.

Like so: http://www.able2know.com/disclaimer.php#1a

I am moving this question to the internet forum.
0 Replies

Roosh

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 02:03 am
By "bookmark" you're referring to a hyperlink? So just right-click a hyperlink, check properties, copy that url & post? I still must not be following you, as I could have sworn it's possible to cite any point of a page, not just a hyperlink...
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 02:34 am
It's impossible to know where the bookmarks (aka anchors) are on a page unless you look at the page's code (or see someone else link to a particular point on the page).

If you include this html code somewhere on a page named mypage.html ...
Code:<a name="mysection"></a>

then later (or even on the same page) you could use a link to: mypage.html#mysection
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 02:34 am
Not all pages have the anchor. And the anchor is not always visible.

For example, on these forum pages there is an anchor called "top". If you append a #top to the URL of any forum page it will take you to the top of the page. The Anchor at the top of the page is invisible. It is linked to using this image http://www.able2know.com/forums/templates/Able2Know/images/icon_up.gif and if clicked will take you to the top of the page.

but try that on other sites and you might discover that there is no anchor like that and that wouldn;t work on those pages.

In short, unless the web developer has included those anchors you can't link to a specific point in the page. The anchors are part of teh site design.

-----

NOTE: when you click "back" and are taken to what you were last looking at in the page this is your browser behavior and not related to links.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 02:37 am
Monger said the same thing. I'm not sure as to the name either. Front Page calls them "bookmarks" but that just confuses people.

I've always called them anchors but I rarely learn the 'official' names.
0 Replies

Roosh

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 09:10 am
Well, no offense guys, & I appreciate the effort, but I'm more confused than when I started... Confused

How do I reveal the code of a page or certain spot on a page -- how do I uncover these "anchors" (I realize you said they're invisible, but they have to be detectable in some fashion, or you wouldn't be able to link to them)

Anyway, I also realize this isn't such a big deal either -- we can friggin' scroll to wherever we need to go! Rolling Eyes

EDIT: What's with "Hamster 653 reports" every time I post?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 09:16 am
Normally you don't link to them. The webmaster of the site does and if you see the links then you can link (e.g. I made these links on this site and if you click the up arrow they are used).

If you want too look for hidden and unused anchors you can view the page source code but that would be a pain.

In short, you link to them when you find them. If you don;t see a link with anchors then there probably are not any on the page.
0 Replies