The hottest time of the day

Reyn

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 06:27 pm
I check our local weather listings for our city and I am at a loss for an explanation.

Who can tell me why the hottest time of the day seems to be between 4pm to 6pm? This seems to be quite consistent.

Why don't the hottest temperatures occur mid-day between about 12 noon and 2pm?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 8,817 • Replies: 11
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 06:30 pm
Well, yada yada yada, and that's about it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 06:32 pm
I think there's always a lag effect after the peak sunshine.

Like, the sun heats up surfaces (streets, sidewalks, roofs, etc.) which retain heat, and everything gets cumulatively hotter until the sun gets less intense.

Something like that.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 06:51 pm
Hot enough for ya?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 06:52 pm
I don't know, but, while I see the highest temperatures in late afternood, that's also the time when it starts feeling comfortable. Maybe better breezes, maybe the sun at a lower angle, or maybe just longer shadows. Anyway, June 21, or thereabouts is the longest day, but July and August tend to be a taddie bit warmer.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 08:28 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Well, yada yada yada, and that's about it.

What can I say? Edgar always has the answer! :wink: Laughing

sozobe wrote:

Like, the sun heats up surfaces (streets, sidewalks, roofs, etc.) which retain heat, and everything gets cumulatively hotter until the sun gets less intense.

Something like that.

Hmmm, interesting answer. The temperatures that are posted are from our official Environment Canada weather outfit, which locally, would be measured at our airport.

The temperatures for all day are recored on their website and one can follow the progression. Typically, the hottest time seems to peak at 5 to 6pm.

I'm sure on an official temperature reading apparatus, wouldn't they be mounted away from hot surfaces? Not sure on that, but thanks for your perspective.

Chai wrote:
Hot enough for ya?

Well, Chai, I'm sure I would be a wimp compared to what you folks get in Texas, but it's hot enough for me when it gets past 25 degrees Celsius (77 F).

roger wrote:
I don't know, but, while I see the highest temperatures in late afternood, that's also the time when it starts feeling comfortable. Maybe better breezes, maybe the sun at a lower angle, or maybe just longer shadows. Anyway, June 21, or thereabouts is the longest day, but July and August tend to be a taddie bit warmer.

I would have thought if the sun was at a lower angle (rather than a higher one) the temperature would be somewhat cooler.

Thanks for your answers, but I'm still puzzled. Laughing If someone can find a link with an explanation for this, I would be grateful.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 08:49 pm
Reyn wrote:
sozobe wrote:

Something like that.

Hmmm, interesting answer. The temperatures that are posted are from our official Environment Canada weather outfit, which locally, would be measured at our airport.

The temperatures for all day are recored on their website and one can follow the progression. Typically, the hottest time seems to peak at 5 to 6pm.

I'm sure on an official temperature reading apparatus, wouldn't they be mounted away from hot surfaces? Not sure on that, but thanks for your perspective.

She's 100% right. The ground itself cools overnight and begins heating back up during the day. The sun reaches it's peak strength at about 2pm and lasts for an hour or two so the ground (and buildings, etc...) will heat to that temp. Until the point where the ground has reached it's max temp for the day the ground is actually absorbing heat. Once it has recahed it's max temp for the day it is releasing heat.

For the remaining part of the afternoon you have the combination of the direct heating of the sun and the radiated heat coming off of the ground. The two combined release more heat into the ambient air than the direct heat of the sun alone so the hottest part of the day will be shortly after the most intense direct heating from the sun.

Since temps are typically taken within a few feet of the ground itself the ground temp is more important than the direct heat from the sun (all "offical" temps readings are "in the shade" readings. If you go to the airport you'll fined their eqipment enclosed in a box to prevent direct sunlight from reaching them.).
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 08:50 pm
The hottest time of the day is later in the afternoon. The sun heats the Earth which, in turn, heats the lower troposphere. The incoming solar radiation starts each day at zero at sunrise, reaches a maximum at noon and falls back to zero at sunset. The warm earth also radiates out into space and continues to do this at night. If you plot the incoming solar radiation on a graph together with the outgoing terrestrial radiation, you will see that the two lines cross twice, once a couple of minutes after sunrise when the coldest part of the day occurs and it crosses again in the afternoon, usually between 3pm and 4pm, when the hottest part of the day occurs. While incoming solar radiation is greater than the outgoing terrestrial radiation, the temperature rises. When the terrestrial radiation is greater than the solar radiation, the temperature falls.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 03:31 am
Quote:
but it's hot enough for me when it gets past 25 degrees Celsius (77 F).

PFFfffThhththt. Don't come here then.

Not sure if this actually fits your description but its a possibility.
Inversion layers.

An inversion is also produced whenever radiation from the surface of the earth exceeds the amount of radiation received from the sun, which commonly occurs at night,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temperature_inversion
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 01:54 pm
fishin wrote:
The ground itself cools overnight and begins heating back up during the day. The sun reaches it's peak strength at about 2pm and lasts for an hour or two so the ground (and buildings, etc...) will heat to that temp. Until the point where the ground has reached it's max temp for the day the ground is actually absorbing heat. Once it has recahed it's max temp for the day it is releasing heat.

For the remaining part of the afternoon you have the combination of the direct heating of the sun and the radiated heat coming off of the ground. The two combined release more heat into the ambient air than the direct heat of the sun alone so the hottest part of the day will be shortly after the most intense direct heating from the sun.

Since temps are typically taken within a few feet of the ground itself the ground temp is more important than the direct heat from the sun (all "offical" temps readings are "in the shade" readings. If you go to the airport you'll fined their eqipment enclosed in a box to prevent direct sunlight from reaching them.).

Hmm, that makes sense. Thanks for the explanation!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 01:55 pm
Intrepid wrote:
The hottest time of the day is later in the afternoon. The sun heats the Earth which, in turn, heats the lower troposphere. The incoming solar radiation starts each day at zero at sunrise, reaches a maximum at noon and falls back to zero at sunset. The warm earth also radiates out into space and continues to do this at night. If you plot the incoming solar radiation on a graph together with the outgoing terrestrial radiation, you will see that the two lines cross twice, once a couple of minutes after sunrise when the coldest part of the day occurs and it crosses again in the afternoon, usually between 3pm and 4pm, when the hottest part of the day occurs. While incoming solar radiation is greater than the outgoing terrestrial radiation, the temperature rises. When the terrestrial radiation is greater than the solar radiation, the temperature falls.

Okay, another good explanation. Thanks for that!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 01:57 pm
dadpad wrote:
Quote:
but it's hot enough for me when it gets past 25 degrees Celsius (77 F).

PFFfffThhththt. Don't come here then.

Yes, I know I'm a wimp. I'm finding as I get older, I just can't tolerate hotter temperatures like I used to when I was younger.

Also, thanks for your answer!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » The hottest time of the day
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 01:30:35