5 Years Old Can Play Any Song 'After Just One Listen'

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 10:30 am
Toward the end of the video, the host said the little girl would be given piano lessons. I hope that doesn't happen. When I was her age, but not blind, I had a similar talent that was tested many times. Experts and my parents decided to give me piano lessons and teach me to read music. BIG MISTAKE! From then on, all the fun was gone and I lost interest in playing and resisted my lessons for ten years. Let the child do what she naturally loves and don't destroy it. PLEASE Don't exploit her.---BBB

Blind Piano Prodigy From South Korea Only 5 Years Old, Can Play Any Song 'After Just One Listen' (VIDEO)
by Chris Laker
July 13, 2008

A blind five-year-old pianist from South Korea has stunned the music world after a video of her performance received more than 27million hits.

Yoo Ye-eun, who was born blind and adopted in 2002, has never had a formal piano lesson but can play any song after just one listen.

And now her remarkable talent is set to propel her to stardom as clips of her amazing performance have attracted millions of viewers to Korean website Pandora TV. A similar clip on YouTube has so far received two million hits.

Her display on 'Star King', a Korean talent show, earned the youngster £500 in prize money and moved the studio audience to tears.

Keep reading here.

Watch a clip of Yoo Ye-eun.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/13/blind-piano-prodigy-from_n_112387.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 736 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 12:49 am
music talent
Bumble,
Thanks for sharing.
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2008 02:41 pm
Re: 5 Years Old Can Play Any Song 'After Just One Listen'
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Toward the end of the video, the host said the little girl would be given piano lessons. I hope that doesn't happen.

Perhaps. If these piano lessons consist of musicianship and theory skills, an argument could be made to leave the child to her natural talents. But a good piano teacher would also teach her physical technique, which could be indispensable if she wanted to pursue piano in the long term. The piano teacher I had for the first fifteen or so years of my life never taught technique, and as a result I've internalized some very bad habits that I simply can't correct anymore. There are lots of pieces I can't play simply because my fingers won't do what is physically necessary. It would be a shame to see the same happen to this girl.
0 Replies