What Th....?

Letty

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 12:58 pm
Ever been searching for one answer and come up with a startling discovery? We may call that "serendipity". I was looking for the similarity between the swastika and the square wheel, and found the following:

http://smoter.com/flooddam/swastika.htm

Ever done that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,523 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 01:43 pm
Re the symbol in question: I did know that it existed before the Nazis used it, and that it had a positive connotation. Needless to say, it's meaning has been effectively subverted!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 01:47 pm
very interesting there Letty - great jog - what th.. is right Smile
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 01:52 pm
Indeed it has, D'art. Where I got the idea that it was associated with a square wheel, I'll never know, nor did I know that the symbol existed before Hitler. Shocked Just ticks me off that I can't find the short story with the title "How Beautiful Are thy Feet Wearing Shoes" and I run across this tidbit.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 01:55 pm
Letty wrote:
Indeed it has, D'art. Where I got the idea that it was associated with a square wheel, I'll never know, nor did I know that the symbol existed before Hitler. Shocked Just ticks me off that I can't find the short story with the title "How Beautiful Are thy Feet Wearing Shoes" and I run across this tidbit.

Geesh you've been looking for that for a long time - sorry you are not able to locate it.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:01 pm
Husker, I know that short story exists, and I originally thought that it was by Ring Lardner. The title, of course, was taken from The Song of Solomon, just as Frost's "Out,Out" was taken from Shakespeare. I'll keep on sloggin', I guess. Mad
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:09 pm
Good grief. There really is such a thing as a square wheel:

http://www.exploratorium.edu/xref/exhibits/square_wheel.html
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:13 pm
Sorry about that story Letty, I tried a search and only got your search here! However, here is a brief history of the swastika:

http://history1900s.about.com/library/holocaust/aa120699a.htm

I found more interesting stuff too, but the site requires a plug-in, free though. Stuff researched in the 1800's. If you are curious, I'll post the URL.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:16 pm
Well, at least we Europeans (and certainly most [art]historians ) know about the swastika and it's "different appearances". (The 'Thor hammer' is here the most famous.)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:30 pm
Thanks, Cav. That was great info. I don't know if I have plug in or not, but please post the URL and I'll soon find out.Smile

Walter, I declare, child. You don't expect us 'mericans to know everything, do ya? Bet you don't know one thing about soul food. Smile
I no longer expect Google to know everything, either.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:30 pm
I constantly run across great stuff when I'm searching for something else. Sometimes I end up so wrapped up in my new discoveries that I completely forget what I was searching for in the first place :-)
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 02:33 pm
Montana, I swear it's just like lookin' for a word in the OED and finding all kinds of interesting stuff. Cool
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 03:05 pm
I hear ya Letty. Don't you love when that happens :-D
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 03:08 pm
Letty, here is the work, you need the free plug-in to view the book in it's entirety:

http://abob.libs.uga.edu/bobk/sw/
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 03:10 pm
I should add...it's a bit dodgy to actually read the thing, as it is printed in it's original format. There is a lot of cool info there though.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 12 Sep, 2003 07:28 pm
I also get caught up in what Ive found and tend to forget what I was looking for...eh, its okay...learn something new everyday Smile
Good luck in your search
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 05:48 am
Good morning, all.

Cav, that information was unbelievable. I was particularly taken with the notion of the "rolling cross" and the one legged bird idea. Thanks, my friend.

Hey Quinn. Where you been? Smile
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 06:30 am
I understood that the swastika was used for thousands of years, with a very positive meaning, but I was surprised how many different cultures around the world have used it!

Quote:
In ancient times the swastika was common in both the old and new worlds. With the ends of its crossbars bent to the right, as on Laguna Dam, the swastika was a symbol of the sun, fire and lighting for peoples from Scandinavia to India and on to China.

In German mythology the swastika (usually represented in rotary fashion) was the fire whisk that twirled the earth into existence. To Buddhists it represented resignation or the wheel of the law. Later it came to symbolize life or good luck around the world. It decorated the shields of Crusaders in the middle ages and even today can be found over the doorways of public houses in Korea.

A swastika, on the other hand, with the crossbars bent to the left was considered a bad luck symbol to some nations. As an example, to Hindus it symbolized night or destruction.

Swastikas have also been found in the monumental remains of ancient Americans, including objects taken from old burial mounds within the United States. Similar art is also known to have been used by various Indian tribes up to the present century.
During its early years the United States Bureau of Reclamation used the swastika for its symbol. The swastikas on Laguna Dam are a legacy of that period.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 06:59 am
And I, code. What a revelation. I am glad I came upon that article.

Thanks all, for the great input.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 13 Sep, 2003 07:30 am
I recall a WWII era film in which an American Indian chief is telling one of our generals that the Nazis have usurped their symbol. Wish I knew the film title, or at least the history of that remark.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What Th....?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 02:00:09