I'll never over-drink again!

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 08:45 am
That is how rakija is always drank. Straight up.
Ouzo is about 40% alcohol and I agree with patio that the best way to deal with it is to pour it on the ground and order something else. Yechch.

Rakija varies widely by region. It's anywhere from 40-60% (NEVER 96, you'd be dead). Very rarely it reaches almost up to 70% (Russia). Above that, you would likely go blind (and it happens). I'm not a fan, but if you come across one of exceptional quality it is a good digestive.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 09:17 am
Recently had the last of the tipple my sis's in-laws make in Germany. It's many-times-distilled plum brandy -- basically super-clean slivovitz, though they call it schnapps... Don't know the proof, but it sure tastes like 100+. Great stuff.

Sadly, their plum tree died, and there won't be any more of it...
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 09:18 am
And if you think Ouzo is bad, try Retcina.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 10:01 am
How about Grappa? Anyone tried it? When I was in Italy last spring with a friend we had dinner with a local guy we met in Manarola. He ordered us all Grappa after dinner. I think I may have taken two sips but my friend said "Just throw it back". And that she did. I think I would have thrown up right there and then.

He tried to kiss me that night. Maybe that's why he bought the American's Grappa!
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 10:26 am
I like Grappa and just about any brandy.

Aquired taste for sure.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 12:38 pm
There's a restaurant here with about 15 or 18 or so grappas on the menu. I've tried just about all of em by now -- some to rival an very good tequila, some taste like kerosene.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 01:14 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
That is how rakija is always drank. Straight up.
Ouzo is about 40% alcohol and I agree with patio that the best way to deal with it is to pour it on the ground and order something else. Yechch.

Rakija varies widely by region. It's anywhere from 40-60% (NEVER 96, you'd be dead). Very rarely it reaches almost up to 70% (Russia). Above that, you would likely go blind (and it happens). I'm not a fan, but if you come across one of exceptional quality it is a good digestive.

This stuff was like liquid fire. I didn't know it at the time....it is a social drink there. Most places you probably should shoot it...but the Albanian way of drinking it is to sip. I learned that the hard way. He sat the drink in front of me and made a motion like I was suppose to be drinking - so I picked it up and shot it. My reaction entertained Frojo greatly. His wife Tatiana was worried and kept patting my back and fussing. Good times.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 01:28 pm
My husband called Grappa gasoline..

I agree that there is grappa and grappa, some delicious.

Uh oh. I never should have looked at this page..
http://www.sherry-lehmann.com/wines.asp?category=59
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 02:33 pm
patiodog wrote:
Recently had the last of the tipple my sis's in-laws make in Germany. It's many-times-distilled plum brandy -- basically super-clean slivovitz, though they call it schnapps... Don't know the proof, but it sure tastes like 100+. Great stuff.

Sadly, their plum tree died, and there won't be any more of it...

It is great stuff and it helps to digest a heavy meal. Had a few myself
the past week. There is a company in the Black Forest who makes the best
plum schnapps.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 02:39 pm
I'm just hesitant to call it schnapps, given the sickly sweet quality to what's sold as schnapps in the US...
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 02:55 pm
There is no sweet taste whatsoever in a German Schnaps. It's a pure, clear, and highly distilled alcohol from fermented fruit (apricot is good too) with a minimum of 35 % ABV, mostly 40 % + though.

American schnapps is a liqueur that is sweet and has only fruit flavors in
addition to some other syrup-like additives. A typical headache drink!
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 02:57 pm
Hello.

I am here to let everyone know I will probably over-drink again. Like, tonight. Will I deliberately set out to have too many beers at the PUBLIC ENEMY CONCERT? No. Might that happen anyway? Yes. Yes it might.

Kind regards,

Aloysius Gargamel Espozito
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 03:06 pm
I have a Polish friend coming for the weekend from Poland.

The half a year that I've known her in Vienna I barely remember. So there's hoping I will come out of this weekend alive. Meat and vodka, here I come!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 03:16 pm
Cute Gargamel! Have fun at the concert!

Dagmar, in Amsterdam you'll be able to perfect your taste for alcoholic
beverages. The Dutch are known to drink quite a bit at social gatherings.

I don't have a problem with good tequila or a clear schnaps, but even
a good and expensive wine will give me a headache if I have more than 2 small glasses.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2008 03:20 pm
yes, for some reason good hard liquor lends better results than wine or even beer. good scotch or good fernet, no headache the next day.

but mix a cosmopolitan with some beers and a few fernet shots and ayiyiyiyiiii.
0 Replies

urs53

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 09:27 am
dagmaraka wrote:

I get a headache just reading this.... Shocked
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 09:50 am
dagmaraka wrote:
yes, for some reason good hard liquor lends better results than wine or even beer. good scotch or good fernet, no headache the next day.

I think I should go have a drink with Dag, its just that the hard liquors scare me. Maybe I just haven't tried any good ones.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 10:44 am
I rarely get hungover.... and when I do I grit my teeth and take it.

I have a system at work... I have a shot of tequila (and usually I'm well poured by the bartenders) an hour but stop 90 minutes before the end of my show... add 20 or 30 minutes to that for loading up and I've metabolized enough out to drive home and pass a breathalyzer if it came up.

I would never pledge to give up drinking. I'm afraid God would choke laughing.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 03:33 pm
martybarker wrote:
How about Grappa? Anyone tried it? When I was in Italy last spring with a friend we had dinner with a local guy we met in Manarola. He ordered us all Grappa after dinner. I think I may have taken two sips but my friend said "Just throw it back". And that she did. I think I would have thrown up right there and then.

He tried to kiss me that night. Maybe that's why he bought the American's Grappa!

Ever had a caffe corretto? Literally a 'corrected' coffee. It's an espresso with grappa. Perfect when you've hiked from Levanto to Monterosso in the rain.
0 Replies

martybarker

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2008 04:27 pm
hingehead wrote:
martybarker wrote:

Ever had a caffe corretto? Literally a 'corrected' coffee. It's an espresso with grappa. Perfect when you've hiked from Levanto to Monterosso in the rain.

So what do you look for when ordering a good grappa? And I'm willing to try new things. Is it tasty?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/05/2024 at 06:11:28