The Jesus of Suburbia: Music as a social critic.

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 08:49 am
Last night Mr. B has an oldies station on and Graham Nash's "Chicago" came on which led to a discussion of why music in the 60s was full of social protest and our questioning why you don't hear much of that anymore.

"Well there's always Green Day...." I said.

Mo's current favorite song/album is "American Idiot" so I get to hear that song a lot and the rest of the album a little bit. It really is a biting commentary on 21st century American life -- but not really a "protest song" in the classic sense in that it doesn't address specific current events.

I don't really listen to rap music but I understand there is a lot of social commentary, maybe that's where it's hiding. But still, is it a protest?

Is anyone writing/preforming protest music these days? Who? What are they protesting? Is it a specific event or society in general?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,061 • Replies: 15
No top replies

littlek

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 08:54 am
I love Greenday for that reason - social/political challenges.

Maybe a definition of what you would consider protest music - what makes it protest music?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 08:55 am
I just read an article about this. Must mull where it was.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 09:15 am
From WIKI
Quote:
A protest song is a song which protests perceived problems in society. These songs cover a wide variety of topics, and deal with issues and concerns ranging from personal and interpersonal to local and global matters. Every major movement in Western history has been accompanied by its own collection of protest songs, from slave emancipation to women's suffrage, the labor movement, civil rights, the anti-war movement, the feminist movement, the environmental movement, and many others. Over time, songs have come to protest more abstract, ethical issues, such as injustice, racial discrimination, the morality of war in general (as opposed to purely protesting individual wars), globalization, inflation, social inequalities, and incarceration. Such songs tend to become more popular during times of disruption among social groups. [snip]

Some of the most internationally famous examples of protest songs come from the United States. They include "We Shall Overcome" (a song popular in the labor movement and later the Civil rights movement), Bob Dylan's "Blowin' in the Wind and Marvin Gaye's "What's Going On".....[snip]....Protest songs are generally associated with folk music, but more recently they have been produced in all genres of music.

Maybe they have just morphed?

Quote:
Contemporary Protest Songs
Conor Oberst, lead singer/songwriter of the band Bright Eyes, writer of the anti-Bush protest song "When the President Talks to God"
Conor Oberst, lead singer/songwriter of the band Bright Eyes, writer of the anti-Bush protest song "When the President Talks to God"

Modern-day mainstream artists to have written protest songs on this subject include Pink with her appeal to Bush in "Dear Mr. President" (2006), Bright Eyes with "When the President Talks to God" (2005) (which was hailed by the influential Portland, Oregon, alternative paper Willamette Week as "this young century's most powerful protest song."[45]), Dispatch's anti-war underground hit "The General", and Devendra Banhart's "Heard somebody Say" (2005) in which he sings "it's simple, we don't want to kill". In 2003 Lenny Kravitz recorded the protest song "We Want Peace" with Iraqi pop star Kadim Al Sahir, Palestinian strings musician Simon Shaheen and Lebanese percussionist Jamey Hadded. According to Kravitz the song "is about more than Iraq. It is about our role as people in the world and that we all should cherish freedom and peace." [46] The Decemberists, while not normally known for writing political songs (or songs set in the present day, for that matter), contributed to the genre in 2005 with their understated but scathing song "16 Military Wives," which singer Colin Meloy described thus: "It's kind of a protest song, [...] My objective is to make sense of foreign policy decisions taken by the current Bush administration and showing how they resemble solipsistic bullying." [47] Pearl Jam also included two anti-Bush songs ("World Wide Suicide", "Marker In The Sand") in their 2006 album Pearl Jam.

American avant-garde singer Bobby Conn wrote an album of anti-Bush songs with his 2001 collection The Homeland. Conn said of his art that "All the records that I've done are a critique of what's going on in contemporary America" [48], and he is an outspoken critic of the Bush regime. Conn has admitted that while he actively protests what he sees as the evils of American society, he is not always at ease with such a label for himself. "I've always done lots of social commentary that I believe in pretty strongly but I am very uncomfortable with the role of the artist as a meaningful social critic...my whole generation [is] a confused group of people with an ambivalent way of dealing with protest." [49]
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 09:20 am
Maybe there isn't a distinction between the two but if I had to draw one I suppose the "specific event" would make the difference.

Like "Chicago" was about the trial of the Chicago Eight.

Or "Ohio" was about the shooting at Kent State.

Where say, "The Jesus of Suburbia" is about general discontent, not a specific event.

I'd love to see the article if you can come across it again, eBeth.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 09:36 am
Hey thanks, littlek!

I'll have to give those artists/songs a listen.

Maybe part of the problem is that radio is so limited to top 40 and satellite radio is so specific to one style of music. It is next to impossible to simply stumble across new artists. I wonder if any of the protest songs listed in your article received airplay.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 09:39 am
Internet radio's a good way to go.

Or "friend" nimh at last.fm - you'll meet up with some interesting music Very Happy
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 01:52 pm
That looks like an interesting site, ehBeth, thanks! Do you what username nimh uses there?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 03:55 pm
boomerang wrote:
That looks like an interesting site, ehBeth, thanks! Do you what username nimh uses there?

almodozo...

but the KoЯn is not me! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 04:22 pm
Groovy!

I'll give your station a listen. (I'll skip the Korn!)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 04:26 pm
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=k4kTnP5VJ1k
Neil Young is still doing protest. Here is Impeach the President.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 04:31 pm
yeah - that's why I like him - he's never afraid to let you know what he thinks.
an old neil young favorite with a new youtube protest slant:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24wHh38vld4
(for the turnstiles - neil young)
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 04:47 pm
from the canadian part of the live 8 concerts

mr. young gives us his take on god and his flock

When God Made Me
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2008 06:33 pm
Uh, I think this one qualifies, from an artist not generally considered a protest singer.

Dear Mr President - Pink

On the debate about single issue versus wide ranging rants. I'd call Dylan (as a folk singer) a protest singer - but he was never single issue.

Do you know Birds Without Wings by David Gray ? He sounds like he's channelling every Dylan wannabe from 1963
0 Replies

Woger

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 02:24 pm
There's quite a lot of music that contains lyrics protesting against a wide range of issues. The problem is that much of it doesn't make it into the mainstream. A recent band that were shown to me are Flobots.

Other artists i can think of immediately are: Dead Prez, Fugazi, Choking Victim, Leftover Crack, Rage Against the Machine, Bad religion, Joe Lally.

Music that has strong viewpoints and isn't part of a disposable consumerist culture rarely makes it's way into the mainstream without compromising something. I think the majority of people who listen to music don't want to be challenged by what they hear, whether this is what they have been taught to expect/desire or whether a lot of people just like a tune they can hum without thinking is a different matter.

Music isn't the only art form that this happens to. You don't see serious political films or art getting much mainstream coverage. Taking Liberties is an important British film that was recently released and managed extremely little coverage and few screenings outside of committed venues
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 10 Aug, 2008 04:14 pm
Somewhere between political and social critique is a funny song by a smallish band (getting bigger, I'd say). During the end of the Clinton presidency, they wrote the following. It's less of a finger waggle at Clinton and more of a commentary on the media handling of the thing.

The President's Penis is Missing
(NEWS FLASH!!!) (scene: the press corps have descended upon the White House, a spokesperson begins to speak:)

"They looked in the White House and Capitol Hill
They looked everywhere for Buffalo Bill
We called every scholar, reporter, and genius
Has anyone seen the President's penis?"

"It ain't in the Congress or Judiciary
It ain't in the Smithsonian or that big ole library
an astronomer claims it was sighted on Venus
Has anyone seen the President's penis?"

(now the entire press corp. erupts in song:)
"THE PRESIDENT'S PENIS IS MISSING OLE'!!!
WE SEARCHED HIGH AND LOW, EVERY NIGHT EVERYDAY
LORD, WON'T YOU COME DOWN AND REDEEM US
HAS ANYONE SEEN THE PRESIDENT'S PENIS?"

(at this point, legendary news man Walter Cronkite returns from the moon to add his commentary:)
"Now Presidents have goofed up in all kinds of ways
in the 80's we elected one missing his brain
George Washington caught a cold he couldn't explain
and we all know the truth about Thomas Jefferson's name"

(suddenly William Randolph Hurst rises from the grave and bellows out in an Orson Welles type voice:)
"Franklin D. Roosevelt wasn't no square
with that raging Woodrow in his wheelchair
and all the lesbians snickered that Elenor didn't care
and John Kennedy's penis was seen everywhere"

(once again everyone breaks out in gleeful song:)
"THE PRESIDENT'S PENIS IS MISSING OLE'!!!
WE SEARCHED HIGH AND LOW EVERY NIGHT EVERY DAY
LORD WON'T YOU COME DOWN AND REDEEM US
HAS ANYONE SEEN THE PRESIDENT'S PENIS?"

(the scene shifts to Sen. John Glenn, wandering pensively, somewhere in space:)
"Them outer space people would laugh if they'd seen us
all this talk about cum-stains and oral coitus
meanwhile the whole world suffers from hunger and meanness
but we're more concerned with the President's penis"
0 Replies