[answered] Spyware Ads Appearing Suddenly

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 06:38 pm
Dagmaraka's Thread

Dagmaraka started the above thread about this problem. Others are reporting the same problem. Does A2K Help Desk know what is going on?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,650 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 06:41 pm
and again......

this is the message I get - only on A2K windows

Windows Internet Explorer
---------------------------
NOTICE: If your computer has been running slower than normal, it may be stored with Adwares, Spywares or Malwares.

InternetSecurityDeluxe can perform a quick and completely FREE scan of your system for malicious software.

Download InternetSecurityDeluxe FREE now!
OK Cancel

then when you cancel - it shuts you out and you have to reload www.able etc
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 06:42 pm
the exact same thing happened to me
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 06:54 pm
Now, not only am I afraid of clowns, Im afraid of A2K.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 06:58 pm
k

now I get this

Last Scan:
Privacy threat: 110.064.002.111
Description: Hackers Attack
Controlled PC (ip / country): 86.149.168.37 / {COUNTRY_CODE}
Infected through: msie/7.0
Controlled operating system: nt6.0
Time of investigation: Sun Jul 13 01:53:28 2008

To protect your privacy, you need to download and install one of the recommended security software.

• InternetSecurityDeluxe
The most technologically advanced Firewall and popup protection software in the world today.
• SystemSweeper
This program is all you need to protect your PC against security threats and errors in your system. Keep your computer clean and properly operating.
• AntiSpywarePremium
Complete scan of your computer system to detect and remove all compromising materials or evidence.

BIG RED SCREEN AND COMPLETELY KICKS YOU OUT.

oooh dear Confused

Just as a quick thought - I have an all singing and dancing 360 Norton.... how safe is my lifeline..... sorry...... laptop!?
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 07:05 pm
I have been attacked by a similar bug on other sites before, but never here.

I run Foxfire from the mobile, so I can't help til monday, but I am ancient windows at work.

My experience with said bug was to shut down, run spyware kickasser of choice, clean cookies, and reboot, but I am a bit paranoid. (it worked, though)
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 07:07 pm
yep - did all that already and sis a system close.... happening more now... which is a little worrying to say the least.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 07:41 pm
Could it be another version of the dreaded Errorsafe affliction?

This is out of date now...but may be useful?

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=84916&start=0
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 05:26 am
K - thanks Deb - looked at that.

It's Sunday lunchtime here... and A2K is playing up Sad Verra Verra slow and posts not submitting. Think Dutchy has got similar problems his end too.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 05:31 am
I am assuming they are working on the site, have experienced similar problems in the past. Just now I was tossed out of a2k and had to log in again, so don't worry if it happens to you, all part of the upgrade process I'd say.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 06:15 am
OH NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Something is going horribly wrong on my laptop.

Is anybody else having big problems since this spyware stuff.....

I have lost all my sound - a Java update came through this morning which I did (seemed just like the normal updates which I get regularly). It then automatically gave me Mozilla Firefox as my default browser, sound has not worked since, everything is very slow and not playing nice - have run Norton 360 again which is not detecting anything....

when I call up msn messenger.... or another program, the windows keep disappearing to the toolbar when I am in the middle of typing something....

CravenDK.... Jes.... anybody got any advice here??????????????
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 08:14 am
Two hours ago, A2K was working slow for me. Now it is working okay. I still don't know what is going on behind the scenes.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 08:41 am
Well, if I had stumbled across this thread yesterday, I might not have resubscribed to the Spyware Doctor program that I let expire last year. But I was also being plagued with the stuff you guys are talking about. I identified it as a Vista Antivirus spyware bug:

Quote:
Vista Antivirus 2008 is another clone of XP AntiVirus 2008 & System AntiVirus 2008 and all these software are rogue security application. Vista Antivirus 2008 does this as a scare tactic to get you to purchase the full version Vista Antivirus 2008. It displays fake warning alerts and message as other rogue security application does.

Anyhow, after reading the elaborate measures recommended for removing it, along with dire warmings that if the process is done incorrectly it could severely damage my computer, I reinstalled Spyware Doctor as a simpler solution. And it did seem to get rid of it along with a whole lot of other junk that McAfee had been missing.

(Craven had referred me to the folks that put out Spyware Doctor years ago when I was having another computer problem.)
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 08:50 am
Yes, we are aware of it. And, of course, keep your spyware definitions up to date and for God's sake don't download anything from these popups, no matter how insistent they are. Restart if you have to.

Thank you.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 10:21 am
Thank you, Foxfyre and Jespah. This explains it for me. I hope Izzie is all right. She was having worse problems than I was.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 12:44 pm
Foxfyre wrote:

(Craven had referred me to the folks that put out Spyware Doctor years ago when I was having another computer problem.)

I don't think I ever recommended Spyware Doctor. It must have been someone or something else.

--------------

Izzie wrote:

CravenDK.... Jes.... anybody got any advice here??????????????

It sounds to me like your problems are unrelated to able2know. You should ask for help on the computer forum or take your computer to a pro to get help.

-------------

About spyware warnings: It sounds like one of the advertisers through one of our networks is blacklisted on a securtity blacklist that your browser uses and is triggering these warnings. If you are actually seeing popups it is possible that an advertiser snuck them in, and if so would be blocked as soon as I or the ad network finds out but it is also possible that you have spyware on your computer.

In any case, I need much more information to find out either way, so when this happens let me know:

1) your browser
2) what url you were visiting
3) any other details you can provide (error messages, warnings etc)

Knowing what page you see this on will help hunt it down.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 01:10 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:

In any case, I need much more information to find out either way, so when this happens let me know:

1) your browser
2) what url you were visiting
3) any other details you can provide (error messages, warnings etc)

Knowing what page you see this on will help hunt it down.

I have Windows XP with Internet Explorer.
I was looking at the A2K "New Posts" page last night.
The exact same thing happened to me that Izzie describes below:
Izzie wrote:

Windows Internet Explorer
NOTICE: If your computer has been running slower than normal, it may be stored with Adwares, Spywares or Malwares.

InternetSecurityDeluxe can perform a quick and completely FREE scan of your system for malicious software.

Download InternetSecurityDeluxe FREE now!
OK Cancel
then when you cancel - it shuts you out and you have to reload www.able etc

I also clicked cancel. The window disappeared. I clicked on my bookmark for Able2Know. Able2Know home page came up showing that I was still logged in to A2K.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 01:27 pm
Hey CdK

Yep - ditto jw up above - have run Norton many times which comes up with everything being coco. A2K was running real slow - kicking me out but I was still logged on when I went back in Confused

Have put up a separate post in the computer forum as I had lost my sound (the dawgs were pleased) and had to do a windows restore - Shocked but that apparently failed!!!!

Sightspeed had disappeared from my laptop....

and sound...

now it is back.

Very strange.

(I am a technophobe!)

Thanku anyway tho.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 01:34 pm
Yep. The same thing happened to me twice yesterday. I'd click on an A2K topic and be diverted to the same message.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 01:38 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:

I don't think I ever recommended Spyware Doctor. It must have been someone or something else.

No you didn't. You did suggest the folks at PCTools to find a solution to another unrelated problem I was experiencing. It had nothing to do with spyware at the time. That's why I was careful to say that you recommended the folks who put out Spyware Doctor. I didn't mean that you recommended that program itself.

The popups I was getting all related to Vista Antivirus 2008, and when I would click that off other screens would pop up including one that appeared to be an application running a scan exposing all kinds of 'infections' on my computer. When I would click that off I would get a final popup advising me that my computer was still infected. After running the Spyware Doctor scan, however, these stopped appearing every 15-20 minutes and my computer, which had slowed to a crawl, was running normally. The initial screen popped up one additional time later--yes I had been on A2K at the time--and I ran a scan again plus this time I turned on their advance detection program. I have not had a problem with any of these since.

I am using Windows XP operating system. McAfee was not touching the problem I was having.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » [answered] Spyware Ads Appearing Suddenly
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 02:26:07