Reported attack site

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 04:33 am
I clicked refresh on my a2k browser, and got a big red window telling me this:

Quote:
Reported Attack Site!

This web site at software-traffic.com has been reported as an attack site and has been blocked based on your security preferences.

Attack sites try to install programs that steal private information, use your computer to attack others, or damage your system.

Some attack sites intentionally distribute harmful software, but many are compromised without the knowledge or permission of their owners.

it only happened once and i didn't have a problem getting in afterwards, nor did i get any other messages, but i don't like the sound of that. any ideas what that was about? thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,157 • Replies: 21
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 05:58 am
Someone probably snuck an attack software application into one of their banner ads. It's happened to me before but they are pretty rare.

A2K doesn't have a whole lot of control over which ads show up but it helps if you can ID the actual ad and report it.

It is posssible that your that your anti-virus/spyware app (it sounds like an IE warning message that you got) is jumping on something that was innocent too.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 09:37 am
ah, ok. thanks. i did think it was probably nothing to worry about, but thought it would be better to check.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 02:45 pm
Hey, I've had two of those, only with the warning verbage used by PC-cillin. These were from links posted by well known, and reliable a2k members. Uh, links from strangers don't get clicked. I sometimes wonder if my software isn't just trying to show off its usefullness.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 03:35 pm
Hey - I've had 4 of those tonite.....

Windows defender comes up when I come onto A2K - then it closes me down. Have run Norton 360 and closed down - can't find anything amiss.... but all a bit strange tonite!
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 05:29 pm
mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

still getting nasty messages on A2K windows that I open...

a window comes up that says I need to download spyware etc... I cancel it, it closes down A2K and then Norton 360 window pops up and runs an automatic scan checking for threats. Confused
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 06:27 pm
I just got a mysterious spyware ad one minute ago while reading the list of new posts.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 06:29 pm
strange a? i've got a load of different windows open but it's only happening on A2K.... maybe Jes will know Confused
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 06:41 pm
Izzie,

I just asked about this on forum help. Let's see if they know anything.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 06:42 pm
Yep hun - just followed you on there.... happening constantly with me! Sad
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 06:55 pm
(another reason to stick with Firefox)

(now I know why Set had us in our tinfoil chapeaux earlier Laughing )
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 07:01 pm
Beth - I'm really not au fait with all this techno stuff.... what is firefox? Can HIM... someone explain what the difference is with Internet Explorer please?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 07:09 pm
Firefox is an internet browser as is Internet Explorer.

Ticomaya/o? has helped me quite a bit with what I do understand of it. You can (and I have) easily add extensions to it that help you block ads (some or all/your choice).

browsers - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_browser

there are links on that wiki pages to sites where you can download different browsers if you're tempted by any of them. I believe that dlowan is a fan of the Opera browser.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 07:15 pm
Tico first put me there as well, and has forgotten more than I will ever know as to Firefox...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 07:23 pm
He's a lovely lad. Too bad about the ceegar.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 07:36 pm
ehBeth wrote:
Firefox is an internet browser as is Internet Explorer.

Ticomaya/o? has helped me quite a bit with what I do understand of it. You can (and I have) easily add extensions to it that help you block ads (some or all/your choice).

browsers - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_browser

there are links on that wiki pages to sites where you can download different browsers if you're tempted by any of them. I believe that dlowan is a fan of the Opera browser.

I am and have returned to it from Firefox.

Firefox is a lovely browser, though.

But....why do you connect these warnings with IE, Beth?

Mind you, I am not getting them...but still...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 12 Jul, 2008 07:39 pm
fishin wrote:
It is posssible that your that your anti-virus/spyware app (it sounds like an IE warning message that you got) is jumping on something that was innocent too.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 12:21 pm
Nobody reporting this gave any details but I actually suspect some of them are using Firefox 3.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 07:08 pm
I'm using the latest version of Firefox, whatever that is, and got something like this yesterday. My computer still crashes sporadically (I've gotten used to it, Firefox's "restore" feature is useful there) and it crashed (usefully) while the spyware/ virus thing was happening. I'm vague unfortunately because I just wanted to Get Rid Of It -- I did notice as it was attempting to download that it was an .exe file (which I never like to see, especially on something unsolicited).

I forced Firefox to quit (the rainbow pinwheel of death was going -- that's what happens when it crashes but the screen still remains), the screen disappeared, I reopened Firefox, the "start new session" or "restore session" options appeared, I chose "start new session," and that was apparently that. (The weirdness didn't reappear.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2008 07:09 pm
As far as I can tell the whole thing started when I hovered over the skyscraper ad on the right. I hadn't clicked anything, was just moving the mouse (I think to one of my bookmarks in the upper right corner of my screen).

No idea which ad it was.

And am sure of virtually nothing, just tossing out info on the "in case its useful" principle. Happened fast, start to finish.
0 Replies