Discussion guide for "Great Expectations"

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 06:10 pm
I'm going to lead a discussion group (1 hour) on Dickens' "Great Expectations". I'm looking for a guide to help me in this. I don't want a literary analysis or serious critical appraisal, but just something that will enable me to keep the discussion on track, or, alternatively, get it going if it seems stuck.

My only previous discussion leader was once with a Great Books group, filling in for an absent leader. I had never participated in any book discussion group before, nor have I since except once this spring. I am not particularly looking forward to doing this, but am committed, so I want to do it right. The group consists of 30-40 well-educated seniors.

Googling "Study Guide..." and "Discussion Guide..." has shown me many critical studies, but nothing that seems quite appropriate. I have a feeling that I'll have to make up my own list of talking points, but I would like a bit of help.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,154 • Replies: 9
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 08:07 pm
My of my favorite books in grade school. Just bm'g.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 05:09 am
Discussion Guide
Oops everyone!
Quote:
My only previous discussion leader was once with a Great Books group

I meant "discussion leader experience" - guess my mind got ahead of my fingers.

C Imposter - I never liked Dickens until "Bleak House' was required reading in grad school. Two reasons - "A Christmas Carol" which I considered mawkish and couldn't stand, and "Oliver Twist" which scared me to death. Then I hit "Bleak House" and now I re-read most of the novels every couple of years, mainly on tape, actually, since some of the recordings are beautifully read - a serendipitous little extra.

As to the subject in hand - I suspect I need more of a how-to guide for discussion leading generally.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 11:21 am
Discussion Guide
I hit the jackpot with our local public library - found a study guide and also a guide to leading book discussions. Both looked so helpful that I bought secondhand copies at Amazon.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 11:39 am
Tomkitten, When are you gonna start the "discussion?"
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 12:57 pm
Discussion guide
Not until October. That will give me time to re-read Great Expectations at least once.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 12:59 pm
Re: Discussion guide
Tomkitten wrote:
Not until October. That will give me time to re-read Great Expectations at least once.

Good idea; I'm going to the library to look for a copy too!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 03:14 pm
Discussion guide
Let me know how you enjoy it.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2008 03:38 pm
Well, that'll be an interesting observation even for myself. However, as a fan of Les Miserables, I'm sure most of us have since then seen the movie and stage production which were both very well done and popular.

As they say in show business, break a leg.
0 Replies

cptjack

Reply Sun 3 Aug, 2008 05:56 am
It was a fairly decent movie :-)
0 Replies