Hello, my name is Drewdad, and I'm an insane liberal.

DrewDad

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 02:20 pm
I believe in the First Amendment, the Second Amendment, the Bill of Rights, and in fact, the Constitution. I believe in women's rights, personal responsibility, the potency of education, the power of hard work, listening to my intuition, doing more with less effort, the stupidity of war, the danger of unchecked power, power tools, measuring twice and cutting once, looking before I leap, not following the herd, thinking before I speak, loving my wife, hugging my kids, driving a high-mileage car, the beauty of nature, the wonders of technology, sending thank you notes, and generally not being an ass.

Thank you and good night.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,077 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 02:29 pm
Why do you have a grilled cheese sammich on your head? Is that a liberal thing?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 02:33 pm
It's a pancake.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 03:46 pm
Spriggin' liberals. What's wrong with spending every penny we have fighting Godless Muslims and giving contracts to Bush's friends? Since when do old people need Medicare? I say we shoot the b*****ds.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 03:52 pm
Apparently, either the "insane" or the "liberal" is redundant.

:wink:
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 03:53 pm
Don't you live in Texas, DrewDad? The reason I ask is, I "know" a guy (on another message board I frequent) who is a devout liberal living in Texas.

He longs to live in a more "liberal" part of the country so he can be around others who share his opinions and worldview.

He'd love to live in the Northeast -- but can't believe the staggering cost of living here.

I told him that, unfortunately, if he wants to live around his fellow liberals, he'll have to get used to paying a lot more money -- for much less.

They will kill you with their income taxes.......then slay you with their sales taxes. They have managed to make the entire Northeastern part of this country an income tax hell, where the cost of living is sky high -- to the point of being almost unliveable -- and definately cost prohibitive to anyone who might actually want to live here.

As the song says:

"if you try to sit, I'll tax your seat;
if you take a walk, I'll tax your feet."

Sadly, your liberal brothers and sisters don't come cheap.

"Now my advice for those who die,
Declare the pennies on your eyes."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 03:56 pm
Another reason to be a conservative: Under Clinton gas was $28 barrel. But, it now costs over $140. Long live free enterprise.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 06:51 pm
You can also thank
Quote:
Clinton
and his fellow libs for the fact that this country still refuses to produce its own oil -- and the fact that we haven't built any new refineries since 1976.

Imagine how much our demand for fuel has increased in the last 32 years and consider the fact that we're still refining it at the same rate we were back then.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 06:59 pm
Stray Cat wrote:
You can also thank
Quote:
Clinton
and his fellow libs for the fact that this country still refuses to produce its own oil -- and the fact that we haven't built any new refineries since 1976.

Imagine how much our demand for fuel has increased in the last 32 years and consider the fact that we're still refining it at the same rate we were back then.

Well thank God we listened to Reagan and eliminated every incentive to produce alternative, sustainable energy and fuel efficient cars.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 07:12 pm
Thank Jesus for all Reagan did for us. To us. Ramen
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 07:28 pm
Stray Cat wrote:
You can also thank
Quote:
Clinton

Uhm . . . i'm sure you're just peddlin' BS here (is your tongue supposed to be in your cheek?), but can you explain how Clinton being elected in 1992 effected oil company policies from 1976 onward?

(Hint: The windfall profits tax taxed revenues from domestically produced oil. Buying foreign oil got around that, and reduced refinery capacity in the face of increased demand justifies higher end product prices.)
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 07:37 pm
Quote:
Reagan

who was elected in a reaction against the dismal state of the economy after four years of Jimmy Carter....

Quote:
eliminated every incentive to produce alternative, sustainable energy and fuel efficient cars.

What happened to your fellow Democrats (who had a congressional majority at that time?)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 07:45 pm
Carter's presidency was sandbagged by his predecessors failures.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 07:48 pm
Quote:
Uhm . . . i'm sure you're just peddlin' BS here (is your tongue supposed to be in your cheek?),

Well, I consider myself to be an independent. I'm not always at odds with the liberal point of view as much as I might appear to be here - but I like to present the other side because I don't think it gets enough play around here.

However, I know my limitations. I'm not knowledgeable enough to go around being the "conservative voice" of A2K - so I usually keep my mouth shut (which is why I avoid the political forums).

So, yes, I have to BS a little - but I also seriously think too many people honestly believe their party is right all the time - on every single issue - to the point where they won't even consider the other side. In fact, they demonize the other side. That's a little scary.

Quote:
but can you explain how Clinton being elected in 1992 effected oil company policies from 1976 onward?

(Hint: The windfall profits tax taxed revenues from domestically produced oil. Buying foreign oil got around that, and reduced refinery capacity in the face of increased demand justifies higher end product prices.)

I'll look into it, and study on it. :wink:
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 07:52 pm
Arguing about this is probably futile Stray Cat, but if you go back and look at our history, you will see Reagan and the Republicans set the energy policy in this country for the next 30 or so years during his administration. Take a good look at our historical relationship with Saudi Arabia. Read a little about oil exploration in America (even the oil companies admit we hit peak sometime in the late 70's). I know you won't make the effort because you believe what you want to believe and I'm tired of doing other people's Googling and library work.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 07:53 pm
Rolling Eyes

This is headed to Politics in a handbasket...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 07:54 pm
I didn't blame the Republicans for anything. If there was any demonizing going on, it was you ludicrously dropping Clinton's name into that silly rant of yours. Clinton wasn't even the Governor of Arkansas in 1976. Hell, he wasn't even the Attorney General of Arkansas in 1976.

What kind of partisan crap motivated your sudden and quixotic attack on Clinton?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 07:59 pm
Setanta wrote:

What kind of partisan crap motivated your sudden and quixotic attack on Clinton?

Bashing Clinton is a form of Tourette Syndrome just for Republicans. Say something negative about the party and they start screaming "Clinton!".
0 Replies

username

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 08:02 pm
While you're looking into it, stray cat, consider this. The country now has something under half the refineries it had in 1976, if I remember the statistics correctly. Why, you ask? One of the indteresting facts that came out in the investigation into the California energy crisis of 2001-2002, was that the big oil companies, in the 80s and 90s were worried that what they thought was excess refining capacity could actually work to lower the price of refined petroleum products and so cut into their profits, so they bought up the large majority of independent refineries and shut most of them down. And now something like half the refining capacity of the USA is owned by the big 5 companies, and around 80% by the top 10. Free market economics only work when you don't have a few who can control most of the market (and they don't even have to conspire--just follow each others' lead).
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Thu 10 Jul, 2008 08:03 pm
Quote:
I didn't blame the Republicans for anything.

My God, I didn't say you specifically.

I also never said Clinton was solely responsible for the fact this country is still using outdated equipment to refine its oil -- I was referring to liberals in general.

Ah, forget it.

Quote:
you believe what you want to believe

Same to you, Green Witch. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Hello, my name is Drewdad, and I'm an insane liberal.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/28/2024 at 03:14:19