Slade

sozobe

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 09:38 am
I've mentioned before that every once in a while I wake up with a song going though my head that I can't shake. Yesterday morning it was "Run runaway" -- first I just had the melody, then "run, run away" emerged (just those lyrics), checked YouTube, and found it, luckily.

I'd remembered it as being some ridiculous 80's hair band but when I saw the video the song came back more strongly (I'm deaf now, could hear at the time, good memory for music) and it's a pretty good song!

It's by Slade -- I looked 'em up on Wikipedia to find out more about them and they're WAY cooler than I realized.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slade

Quote:
Slade's influence

"Slade was certainly our greatest influence; not only in the crafting of rock songs but also as performers. Before Slade, no one really knew **** about how to make an audience riot. We really got off on that. There would probably never have been us without them." - Gene Simmons (Kiss)

"I spent most of the early 70s listening to Slade Alive thinking to myself, "Wow - this is what I want to do. I want to make that kind of intensity for myself. A couple of years later I was at CBGB's doing my best Noddy Holder." - Joey Ramone (The Ramones)

[...]

"The whole punk rock thing really happened because of bands such as Slade and the like; rock bands that wouldn't back off." - Paul Weller (The Jam/The Style Council)

"Absolutely. Slade! A band that would never bend over." - Kurt Cobain (Nirvana)

Who knew?

They seem to never have really translated here (they're British) -- maybe because nobody was really a looker? The main guy (Noddy Holder) had a great voice though!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 824 • Replies: 8
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 09:39 am
I believe this is the first non-political post I have see you make in quite some time, soz.

Welcome back.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 11:13 pm
Soz, who knew...

I love Slade, but we are a rare breed anymore.

I picked carefully, cuz it's you...

Mama weer all crazee now
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gPulu85q04&feature=related

Shocked
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 2 Jul, 2008 11:27 pm
Bad suits and bad haircuts is my main memory of them. They were pretty big in Oz - back then we got an even helping of US and UK artists (but you'd be surprised about some of the classics that never charted here).

http://newsimg.bbc.co.uk/media/images/41791000/jpg/_41791284_slade_1974_416.jpg
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 01:31 am
Christmas just wouldn't be the same without these guys Very Happy .
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 03:15 am
So you think I've got an evil mind
well I'll tell you honey,
and I dont know why

so come feel the noise
girls rock your boys

Some things you just never really forget.

Slade (is still) Alive
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 06:15 am
Quiet Riot covered that one here, I remember it -- had no idea that Slade did the original. Found a video of Slade doing their version on YouTube -- hilarious! The outfits are amazing!! The tempo is a little slower than Quiet Riot's but otherwise it's really similar, especially towards the end as the intensity picks up. (As far as I know -- the vocals are the only thing I can really see.)

I was wondering if they were big in Oz, too.

This was totally E.G.'s genre at the time, he'd never heard of them. (Quiet Riot, he knew.)

Thanks for the vid, Rockhead... I went on a pretty thorough YouTube tour yesterday. The only ones that really worked were the ones I knew exactly (Run, runaway) or a close approximation (Cum on feel the noize).
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2008 08:43 am
I'm having so much fun with these two songs! One of them goes through my head, I watch the video, I dance around, I do something else, one goes through my head... etc.

I love the "and I don't know why" part of "Noize" -- he's basically saying yeah, I make a lot of money, chicks dig me, but I don't know why. Laughing Not that he minds, just kind of bemused. Love it.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2008 03:02 am
soz, slade were pretty big in oz as i recall, though not as big as rock chick Suzie Quatro, who got an honour guard and motorcade courtesy of the Hells Angles Melbourne chapter (whether she wanted it or not!).

Not sure how much you can "hear" of the music. You should Get EG to install ginormouse sub woofers and "feel" the beat through the floor.
0 Replies