Walking distance

Chai

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 07:18 am
In threads about the price of gas, transportation, being green, the phrase "walking distance" often comes up.

What is walking distance for you?

Not just on a fine April morning, but what about on a 100 degree August day, or windy damp 30 degrees in February? (For me, if the air was still, walking in 25 to 30 degree weather was wonderful)
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,055 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 07:25 am
i can do 1 to 2 miles in any weather other than super hot.

when it is super hot, i try not to do more than a 1/2 mile (the distance i walk to get to and from my office) at a time...
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 07:25 am
I don't mind walking in the cold...I will easily walk 2 to 4 miles (round trip)in even 85 degree weather if the humidity is low. It is when the humidity is high and you are a huge ball of sweat by the time you get where your going that is the problem.

Also, we are in the county and there are not a lot of things that are "walking distance" - or within 2 or 3 miles. That is still hard for me to say - because that is a long haul...but people have had to do it...we could if we had to I suppose.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 07:43 am
ok, adding to this....

When I say walking distance, I was also considering if I had to walk to get somewhere, rather than just for pleasure, I'm going to be needing to carry somewith with me, or on the way back, like from a store.

For me a pleasure walk, where my hands are free, and I'm just going around the neighborhood, as opposed to on a trail in the park, is about 2 miles. I don't go for walks in the summer....too too hot for me.

Walking on a trail, closer to 4 total.

Without a back pack, carrying even one or 2 light bags of stuff really puts me off balance. My arms can't swing naturally and walking a half mile with packages can get uncomfortable.

Digressing a bit regarding transporting bags/packages and such....

If I lived in a city, I'd have one of t hose little carts I could push stuff in. However, I noticied something the other day...

At the regular grocery story I go to, they have the big size carts and smaller ones for a few items. When I would take the smaller one, I noticied my back would be aching by the time I got to my car. I compared the height of the small and big carts, and the small one was a couple of inches shorter. Another time I compared the heights of the small and regular carts and Whole Foods, and they were the same height.

They don't hurt my back.

So, walking distance for me is definately connected to my body mechanics if I'm going to be holding/transporting something.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 07:48 am
We need a horse and cart
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 07:58 am
walking distance is wherever i need to get when i don't have my bike. i used to walk to work in the spring, because it's beautiful walk along the river. that is about 3.5 miles...but i guess i wouldn't do that every day. But if walking distance is defined as the distance I would choose to walk instead of taking public transportation or a car, that would be also 1-2 miles....But I always run very late, so i bike everywhere. Fastest.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 08:10 am
Walking distance? how far 45 minutes to an hour gets me.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 08:11 am
It is a very variable distance for me.

I am happy to walk somewhere an hour or more away if it makes sense to do so. (An hour's walk gets me longer now than it did a few months ago.)

I will walk way less far in intense heat. Rain and cold doesn't bother me, but lightning does.

I will walk a long way if I can wear my walking shoes/carry good shoes to change into conveniently/if it doesn't matter if I get a bit hot and sweaty. If I am really dressed up and want to look very well-groomed and glamorous I am far less likely to walk....ditto if it is dark.

The more I walk (and I am now walking a lot) the further away walking distance becomes. I realised this the other night when we were going home from a cabaret night.....I argued that my car was closest, so it made most sense to walk to my car, and that I would drive everybody else to their cars. I really believed this, because my car seemed very close to me....but my tired, puffed and cold friends were disagreeing strongly by the time we reached my car!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 08:14 am
dlowan wrote:
...but my tired, puffed and cold friends were disagreeing strongly by the time we reached my car!

hehehehehe

you've just brought to mind a walk through a blizzard from a resto to a concert with Set, brendalee, and a pal of Set's a couple of years ago. I said we could just walk over - it was close - brendalee looked a bit doubtful, the boys didn't know - everyone was mad at me by the time we got to the concert. It apparently was NOT walking distance.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 08:20 am
haha, i made my visiting friends walk from our place in cambridge to downtown boston (total about 2 hours) on Thanksgiving... I thought it's 'just across the river'.... it was, oh, maybe 20 degrees. They complained loudly the whole way, but it was fun too.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 08:20 am
when you are after that triple quarter pounder with cheese and a 32 oz diet pepsi, park the car and walk in to order rather that use the drive thru.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 08:37 am
I'm hearing some say places that take up to an hour to get to.

Not directed at the people who said this, but it certainly seems to conflict with what so many people complain about nowadays....a lack of time to get everything done that needs to get done.

Many people are saying they get by on 5 hours sleep, babies, jobs, all other responsibilities. Now they have to add in 2 hours a day to get somewhere on foot?

I see people walking through my neighborhood talking away of their cell phones. To my mind negating most of the pleasure of walking. Their minds are so wrapped up in their call, they don't even say "Hi" as they pass you.

For those that are walking a half hour or more regularly, are you multi tasking while you do so? Or how are you fitting it in?
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 08:42 am
i think it's instead of a gym or other form of working out. if you fit in walking to and from work, you probably can skip gym later, so you'll have the evening uninterrupted once you get home...

i wouldn't talk on the phone while walking. but i hardly use my cell at all.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 08:44 am
Re: Walking distance
Chai wrote:
In threads about the price of gas, transportation, being green, the phrase "walking distance" often comes up.

What is walking distance for you?

Not just on a fine April morning, but what about on a 100 degree August day, or windy damp 30 degrees in February? (For me, if the air was still, walking in 25 to 30 degree weather was wonderful)

One thing you notice about the stories about school walking distances in the past is that kids do not go to school in July or August.

Nonetheless even as late as the 50s and 60s kids normally walked a mile or more to school and thought nothing of it. My own elementary school was a mile and a half walk from home.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 08:49 am
I walked/biked to school too.

Unless it was frigid, icy weather, then I got a ride.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 08:56 am
Chai wrote:

Not directed at the people who said this, but it certainly seems to conflict with what so many people complain about nowadays....a lack of time to get everything done that needs to get done.

Many people are saying they get by on 5 hours sleep, babies, jobs, all other responsibilities. Now they have to add in 2 hours a day to get somewhere on foot?

I see people walking through my neighborhood talking away of their cell phones. To my mind negating most of the pleasure of walking. Their minds are so wrapped up in their call, they don't even say "Hi" as they pass you.

For those that are walking a half hour or more regularly, are you multi tasking while you do so? Or how are you fitting it in?

I walk to work most days (nearly an hour) unless it is stinking hot....it means I have to get up earlier.

I walk part, or all, of the way home. This means I get home later....shrugs....or I work later, then walk to social engagements.

I often walk to weekend social engagements, depending on where they are. (They are often in the city centre, and that is an easy walk) I walk to shops if I can.

It IS instead of gym etc.

I don't usually talk on the phone etc....I use the time to reflect on stuff I want to reflect on, enjoy whatever is to be seen....I do minor shopping, post mail, fill scrips and such though.

If I had young kids or such I would not likely have time.

It's an investment in health, weight loss and relaxation, and sanity.

It IS a problem re dorky shoes, and arriving sweaty and blown about, instead of cool, well-groomed and suave.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 09:03 am
Chai wrote:
I walked/biked to school too.

Unless it was frigid, icy weather, then I got a ride.

I defied my mother and insisted on walking home from when I was five!!! I could escape from her through a little gate in a high hedge, and I was half way home by the time she recovered from her fury and embarrassment at my defiance, and managed to drive the much longer distance she had to go as the car would not fit through the little gate.

Then I moaned about the walk once I had won my freedom.

Oh the humanity!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 09:07 am
Chai wrote:

I don't multi-task while I walk - but I organize my at-home time differently than some people do. It's about setting your priorities.

(I'll stop before I start another of my cell phone rants)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 09:08 am
ehBeth wrote:
Chai wrote:

I don't multi-task while I walk - but I organize my at-home time differently than some people do. It's about setting your priorities.

(I'll stop before I start another of my cell phone rants)

I'll rant with you.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 09:14 am
Chai wrote:

The multitasking we do (RP and I walk together) is reconnect as a couple without the game being on or the phone ringing (we leave the cel at home). We get to talk about our day or plan the next one or whatever. Daily walking is usually about 15 - 45 minutes, it kinda depends on how tired we are and what the weather is like.

These days we walk to the post office, the CVS and the bank. All are within 30 minutes. We did one walk to the UPS drop off and that was kinda far (took us an hour but we meandered and I wasn't in as good shape as I'm in now) but I'd do it again and it would probably take less time. We both walk to a bus and then to our offices so walking is a part of every day.

The only things we drive for are groceries and car-related stuff, like filling the tank or getting an auto inspection. I fill the tank about once every 6 weeks or so, sometimes it's more like 8 weeks.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Walking distance
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/22/2024 at 03:59:55