"Nice to meet you!"

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 12:41 pm
I usually say, "I have found our short time together to be both pleasurable and memorable and I would relish the opportunity to share some time together in the future, if you would be so inclined."

That's what I say to the womenfolk. To the guys I say, "Later, dude. See you around."
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 01:55 pm
I usually say "It was a pleasure to have met you." Certainly this is just socially acceptable polite noise. The level of your sincerity will be evident to all but small children and bimbos (male or female). In either case, it won't matter.

Don't sweat the small ****, Thomas, there are more serious matters, such as getting mugged or beaten with which to concern yourself. Matters such as dealing with those whom you have just met have a way of resolving themselves.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 02:03 pm
Re: "Nice to meet you!"
Thomas wrote:
But what are we confused second-language-ers to do about it? What are we supposed to say to North Americans when the experience of meeting them was nice, and we want to communicate this fact to them? How do you say "nice to meet you" when you actually mean it?

"It was an excruciating pleasure to make your acquaintance."
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 02:18 pm
likewise I'm sure :wink:
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 02:48 pm
BBB
"I hope you enjoyed meeting me."

BBB
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 02:53 pm
"It was a rare pleasure to have encountered your true self, whose affability I just praise".

But it only works with a French accent...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 02:56 pm
"Let's do lunch!"

Kidding, natch. I've been trying to avoid the word 'nice' for years, haven't succeeded fully. Also have been trying to excise the word 'really', with some improvement that I'll attribute to a2k.

I'd just say what you think and mean it. If not, stand there and frown...

So, what do they say in Germany?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 03:21 pm
imo adding a little extra to the standard : "nice t have met you ! " , one can personal things a bit .
by referring what you enjoyed about meeting the person , you give it that personal touch .
" ... the chat/talk we had about ... ... really gives me a better insight into .. ... " , makes easier for the other person to remember you .
of course , it should be genuine . if you really had no interest in meeting the other person , there is no need to pretend .
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 03:22 pm
I think if you give em a hug, it might show you really enjoyed meeting them.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 12:19:59