"Nice to meet you!"

Thomas

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 04:05 pm
Ever since I've come to New Jersey, the following scenario has been haunting me: I meet an American and enjoy seeing him or her. (No haunting so far.) On saying good bye, I want to say how nice it was for me to meet him or her. But just as my cerebral cortex instructs my mouth to say, "X, it was really nice to meet you", my forebrain interrups and yells "No! Don't say it! 'Nice to meet you' can mean anything! It could mean 'it was just kind of okay to meet you'. It could mean 'let's just put an end to this real quick, shall we?' Or it could even mean 'it actually was nice to meet you.' There's no way for the listener to tell."

My forebrain is right, of course. "Nice to meet you" is ceremonial noise that doesn't mean anything, certainly not what it literally says.

But what are we confused second-language-ers to do about it? What are we supposed to say to North Americans when the experience of meeting them was nice, and we want to communicate this fact to them? How do you say "nice to meet you" when you actually mean it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,500 • Replies: 28
No top replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 04:06 pm
Thomas,

Is this a sneaky attempt to get around your promise not to discuss politics? Smile
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 04:13 pm
You may be over thinking this.

Oh, but wait-- you may be right, I remember a few years ago I was introduced to this actress when I was at a thing for work. It was really awkward and I was struggling for topics to discuss...

Anyway, at the end of the evening I said "It was nice to meet you" for lack of anything better to say and I wanted to high tail it out of there.

Her egomaniacal response to my statement "It was, wasn't it." Aycarumba.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 04:26 pm
Have a nice day.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 04:31 pm
If you mean it you should say it...most people know when you are being genuine and when you are not. Even if you use standards like,"It was nice to meet you"
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 04:57 pm
From one second-language-er to another - if I really have enjoyed making
that acquaintance I say "It's been a real pleasure meeting you".
It conveys a more genuine and sincere gesture.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 05:09 pm
thomas should come to canada : "nice meeting you , eh " :wink:

after 50+ years in canada , i still can't understand why canadians when being greeted with : "how are you ?" , almost always answer : "oh , not too bad ! " (sometimes even here the "eh" will follow) .

i know i shouldn't do this , but every-now-and-then i'll say : "not too bad , eh , just plain bad ? " (notice :no second "eh" followed ) .
sometimes i get a smile or grunt in reply , sometimes just an astonished look . :wink:
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 05:15 pm
I only say that when it was nice to meet someone. Confused

Then, I look them straight in the eye and say it, so they know I mean it.

My eyes are windows to my soul.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2008 05:31 pm
please close them when you are naked.

Thank you.

( this was a public service message)
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 06:49 am
In this circumstance I usually say "It was really nice to meet you." Seems odd, but yes, the really emphasizes not just a nicety but you did enjoy their company sort of thing.

I also think that your tone and body language defines if you are just saying the words or if you really mean you enjoyed meeting them.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 07:32 am
Yeah, I agree with the tone, and intensifiers.

Can make it specific to WHY it was so nice to meet this person, too... "I just haven't met that many people who are familiar with [the obscure topic you were discussing]; I'm so glad I had the chance to talk to you!"

More specifics = less ceremonial noise.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 07:37 am
Calamity Jane wrote:
if I really have enjoyed making that acquaintance I say "It's been a real pleasure meeting you".

[quote="Linkat]In this circumstance I usually say "It was really nice to meet you." Seems odd, but yes, the really emphasizes not just a nicety but you did enjoy their company sort of thing. [/quote]
Interesting. So the word "really" does seem to make a difference. I would have thought "really", in a social context, is just ceremonial noise, too.

WandelJW, you're right, I'm getting dangerously close to politics here.

Gala -- "It was, wasn't it", huh. I must remember this response

Mismi, you may be right.

Me, look someone in the eye, Chai? I look way too threatening, they'd never look back and notice my expression.

Dyslexia, thanks for your response. Here at Thomas.com, your feedback is important to us. We appreciate your writing in.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 08:01 am
Thomas wrote:
Me, look someone in the eye, Chai? I look way too threatening, they'd never look back and notice my expression.

Laughing Laughing Someday we will meet Thomas, and we will both be so frightened by the other we will have to communicate from separate rooms.

My eyes can solder steel when the urge hits me.

http://www.forevervampires.com/images/dark_eyes.jpg

It's been really nice to meet you Thomas.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 08:06 am
sozobe wrote:
Can make it specific to WHY it was so nice to meet this person, too...

Very good point. (Sorry for not responding immediately. I didn't see your post when I wrote mine.)
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 08:11 am
Thomas wrote:
sozobe wrote:
Can make it specific to WHY it was so nice to meet this person, too...

Very good point. (Sorry for not responding immediately. I didn't see your post when I wrote mine.)

Another example of sozobe's point, you could say, "It is nice to meet another person who supports Ron Paul, like I do." Smile
0 Replies

Gala

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 10:28 am
Be careful, though, with the "it was wasn't it" response. This woman was an over-the-top prima donna.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 10:36 am
Thomas, you could have said, "Have a nice day."

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/loyd0008/villain/images/mr-yuk.gif
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 10:41 am
Isn't that the poison control sticker?

I like to say "it was nice talking to you" or "I'm glad I ran into you" if it's someone I already know. I always say "nice meeting you" to new acquaintances whether or not I actually enjoyed their company.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 10:42 am
I think George Carlin has the answer you are looking for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16Rxys_uBsw
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2008 11:56 am
thomas , why not throw off your "shyness" ( :wink: )
and offer something more substantial upon parting , such as :

Quote:
treffen wir uns heute abend ?

Would you like to go out tonight?

the response will tell you quickly how interested the other person is in seeing you again .
let us know if you are successful - or if you wind up with a black eye .
hbg
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » "Nice to meet you!"
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 04:47:05