Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 07:38 pm
NRDC

found this interesting.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 07:53 pm
Rockhead wrote:
I need Gus to send the H2O man signal.

What is the CHEAPEST functional GOOD filter for a really poor guy in a rental?

(lets not turn this into a filter thred Rolling Eyes )

Also, what is wrong with spring water vs "drinking water"

The Brita pitchers and faucet filters work well.

For choosing between the different bottled waters this site may be helpful.

Quote:
Drinking Water: Drinking water is another name for bottled water. Accordingly, drinking water is water that is sold for human consumption in sanitary containers and contains no added sweeteners or chemical additives (other than flavors, extracts or essences). It must be calorie-free and sugar-free. Flavors, extracts or essences may be added to drinking water, but they must comprise less than one-percent-by-weight of the final product or the product will be considered a soft drink. Drinking water may be sodium-free or contain very low amounts of sodium.

Spring Water: Bottled water derived from an underground formation from which water flows naturally to the surface of the earth. Spring water must be collected only at the spring or through a bore hole tapping the underground formation and the spring. Spring water collected with the use of an external force must be from the same underground stratum as the spring and must have all the physical properties, before treatment, and be of the same composition and quality as the water that flows naturally to the surface of the earth.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 08:12 pm
My warped slightly overcautious mind favors the "outta the ground in a good place" (and cheaper) over the My company says this is "drinking water" and you should pay more for it ****...

May be the native in me... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 08:17 pm
I've been using Brita filters for about 30 years now. I buy bottled water for when we're out with the dogs, but at home - Brita filter works for me.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 08:23 pm
Rockhead wrote:
rental?

(lets not turn this into a filter thred Rolling Eyes )

Why not? Seems lots of people here are favorable to filtered water.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 08:27 pm
OK, twist my arm...

If we can get folks not drinkin' stuff that might kill 'em (me included) I guess I gotta go there, sorry Lil'K...
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 08:35 pm
A pretty good paper on iron water and your options for filtering:
http://info.ag.uidaho.edu/PDF/PNW/PNW589.pdf
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 08:39 pm
Rockhead, if you want to go with tap and can stand the iron, go for it. But do consider the filtered pitcher instead of the bottled water option. It uses much less plastic and if you're drink as much water as you should be, it's a cheaper option in the end too.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 08:41 pm
Rockhead wrote:
My warped slightly overcautious mind favors the "outta the ground in a good place" (and cheaper) over the My company says this is "drinking water" and you should pay more for it ****...

May be the native in me... Rolling Eyes

I definitely get that.

However, if the CAT won't drink it... Laughing Shocked
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 08:47 pm
for me, though i like bottled water better than filtered water, i try not to buy it unless i have to. i have brita pitcher at home and at work. don't care about the cost as much as about the enormous plastic waste that the bottled water bottles contribute to.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 08:52 pm
Doing a little research online I don't see thT BRITA FILTERS IRON. damn allcaps.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 07:43 am
Did the Brita thing a long time back (mighta been a wedding gift) and remember liking it, but wishing it was bigger. We were not in a place with really bad water, so I don't know truly how effective it was.

I do agree on the plastic waste, Dag, and try to buy larger jugs and find creative uses for them after.

Hawk, what a pleasant surprise.

I get the boss today, so discuss away without me....or not.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 05:25 pm
Yesterday, or rather earlier today I was drinking Jimi Hendrix Vodka.

I drank it for the first time about 3 days ago and thought it was strong but this time I paired it with OJ and even though it was roughly 50/50 it went down like water.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 05:35 pm
I got a letter from the authorities of the burg today (I am #1100, and am to my knowledge the newest recruit...

We are under mandatory fix yer sh*t or else...(I dint do it)

All 1100 of us gotta fill out a survey and then...

Town Hall Meeting.

Glad I been on the bottles...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 05:37 pm
bn drinking Oranginas today
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 05:39 pm
How are Oranginas?

I had never seen one until last week, they look good but I've haven't bought one yet.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 05:53 pm
they're good. especially with vodka.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 06:02 pm
our water comes right out of lake ontario - freshly chlorinated and laced with all kinds of goodies !

we are always being re-assured that it is perfectly SAFE to drink . i don't have a quarrel with that , but it's not exactly fresh tasting - particularly in the fall it tastes like nicely boiled mud !

for general use we put it through the britta-filter and it's not TOO BAD - but we also use about one large bottle (1 1/2 l) of bottled water for drinking a day .
even after having gone through the britta filter , the water starts to have a chemical taste after about an hour out of the fridge .
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 06:11 pm
Mr. HBG, I sympathize. Even in the "big city" we would have bouts of very rank algae smell.

A clarification if anyone else cares.

Apparently our water is purchased from said big city after it is taken from the ground, and... untreated, pushed through a pipe, and into our impressive new water tower.

Problem is it is taken out of the Kansas only famous Equus beds aquifers(sorry chap) which are being depleted due to people growing corn instead of wheat Twisted Evil

The mineral content drew a letter from health and environment saying we had x amount of time to fix it.

It will be very interesting what happens, cuz there is no cheap easy solution.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 27 Jun, 2008 06:53 pm
if the water tastes real bad ... ...

http://www.badgerwest.com/images/Benedictine.jpg

Laughing

i'm sure pope benedict will appove of it ! :wink:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/ni/pope-benedict-saturno-hat.jpg

he looks like he might enjoy a wee drop !
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 01:27:53