what are YOU drinking?

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 06:41 am
Not what most of you were thinking...

I want to know whether you drink tap water, or bottled water, and why.

I recently moved to a very rural area with their own water supply, treated and "safe" from a local reservoir. It reeks of iron, and my birdbath already glows orange. I seem to be the only resident buying water at the grocery, in fact, I had to ask them to increase their supply. I got a strange look, as though I was a dainty boy...

What is "safe" water?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,530 • Replies: 47
No top replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 06:49 am
We have our own well water and it's excellent. I had it fully tested when I moved into the house. I had the water sent to a private lab and even had it tested for "rocket fuel". Visitors have commented on how good our water is. We are in a rural area known to have good water, although we certainly have our share of river pollution. I never drink bottled water unless desperate - always tastes like plastic to me. I would drink Mountain Valley Water brand if I had to pick.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 06:52 am
Will a water filter help Rock? I drink tap water and we get a report about twice a year telling us the components of the water. The percentages of chlorine and flouride and such. But we drink the tap.

Found the EPA's website
Ground Water and Drinking Water
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 06:54 am
tap @ home
filtered @ work
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 06:55 am
I was buying bottled water, but reverted to tap water. I read too many bad things about those clear plastic bottles, plus, it's ridiculous to pay so much. But, a good filter is essential, I think.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 06:55 am
iron is necessary

you need it to get muscles like popeye

he got his from eating a can

what about you? eh???

http://www.geocities.com/~shovalfilm/images/popeye-yam-spin.gif
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 07:08 am
We also have private well water that tests safe but it does contain iron and high levels of calcium and/or lime. We get orange stains in toilets and heavy lime buildup in the showers, coffee-maker, teapots, etc.

I don't avoid my tap water but I don't drink large quantities of it either. I'll use it to make coffee or tea, I'll use it for cooking but I always have bottled water on hand for drinking throughout the day. I drink lots of water and I want to limit my exposure to the metals/minerals in my well water.

One interesting side note -- we had our well head replaced a few years ago and the process must have somehow stirred up some rust in the tank/lines. I flushed the lines before drinking any of the water (or so I thought) but a routine blood test a few days later came back with extremely elevated iron levels. A follow-up test done a week later showed high but reduced iron levels. So, yes, the metals/minerals in your drinking water does make it's way into your system.

Does your community have data on the water quality tests? You could check with town hall, if you have such a thing where you are. Someone has to be testing the reservoir - the data exists somewhere.

edit: I found the EPA standards for contaminates here.

The maximum allowable iron level is 0.3 mg/L

That link was found at the KS Dept of Health and Environment website here
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 07:22 am
Thanks, JPB, I will check some from work.

I already get strange looks from the locals, so I need to limit my rabble rousing in the village.

Ed, I heard some on the plastics, what is that all about?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 08:01 am
We use tap water that has been filtered for drinking and cooking. We don't buy bottled water for regular drinking as it gets too expensive. However, if I am away from home or traveling I will buy bottled water. And I agree (maybe it is just in my head), bottled water does seem to taste better.

I do buy seltzer water also to drink, because I like the fizz and a little extra flavor like lime or lemon.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 08:16 am
Straight from the tap, into the kettle, boiled, over the tea-bag - mmmm mmm good. Other than that... don't really drink water, except bottled water in the car Razz
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 09:34 am
I read as much as 15 years ago one assesment that the clear white plastic leaches into the water. After a number of years, I read that frozen, then thawed, the plastic releases cancer causing agents into the water. And, I've rcently seen a few other leaching articles. Since I have had skin cancer, I try to play it safe.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 09:53 am
I had caught whiffs of that before, Ed. Would that not affect milk as well?

The jugs I get are of the same construct as milk jugs.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 10:02 am
snopes
http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/petbottles.asp
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 10:07 am
Nonetheless, I use glass wherever possible and avoid clear white plastic, and will continue the practice.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 11:47 am
Like Izzie, I use the tap for cooking, and my tea, but if I can smell the iron and taste it, how can that be healthy long term?

There is a care home nearby, and I know that they are drinking tap water.(a neighbor works there.)

I seem to be the only one in town that is concerned...
(this seems to happen to me a lot)

Oh, btw, the cat won't touch it either... Shocked
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 12:30 pm
Let me explain - First, where I said clear white plastic, I meant to say clear plastic.

I don't trust the FDA to always do what is right for the consumer public. Too often they side with big money interests (most notably drug companies) at the expense of our basic rights. Over the past few years they took away some products I had been using in my struggle against cancer. Not because they don't work. They are very effective. But, because they are cheap and can't be patented by the drug companies. But, I don't want to sidetrack your thread any more. I will step away now.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 12:55 pm
I pour my unfiltered tap water into plastic bottles for easy use and to carry - I am doomed!
0 Replies

caribou

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 05:05 pm
I do the same, Linkat!

And I leave them in the car, in the heat, and still reuse them.

I've been known to freeze them too.

I recycle them when they get to crumply or tattered looking.

<shrugs>
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 07:01 pm
I use filtered tap water in the city and bottled water on the cape.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2008 07:12 pm
I need Gus to send the H2O man signal.

What is the CHEAPEST functional GOOD filter for a really poor guy in a rental?

(lets not turn this into a filter thred Rolling Eyes )

Also, what is wrong with spring water vs "drinking water"
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » what are YOU drinking?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 02:00:57