If social security is gonna run out before I retire...

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 10:31 pm
Shouldn't be afforded the option to not have to pay into it?

My dad says many older folks are being forced to sell the homes they have lived in all their lives because social security just doesn't cover the cost of living anymore. How many people's 401k got completely screwed within the last 10 years? Its tough to get a job with enough benefits to retire "on time" anymore.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 760 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Mame

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2008 11:40 pm
This post wasn't worthy of you. You're slipping. No mention of how women are to blame for all this and how much you hate them... go back and do some research, Primo, I think you'll find we're the cause of all your problems.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 04:43 am
They have predicted the demise of SS since at least the early 1960s, since I first read of it back then. No, it won't run out unless the politicians kill it. They have already severely wounded it. They spend with reckless abandon on their pet projects, but get really "responsible" when it comes to social programs. It's a scam.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 06:17 am
Back in the late 70's, early 80's some employees took that issue to court Primotivo. The case went before the Federal courts and the judge ruled in favor of those employees. They opted out of paying social security. To this day they don't pay into social security. After that ruling, others fought it in the court system, but lost.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2008 07:41 am
Re: If social security is gonna run out before I retire...
Primotivo wrote:
Shouldn't be afforded the option to not have to pay into it?

My dad says many older folks are being forced to sell the homes they have lived in all their lives because social security just doesn't cover the cost of living anymore. How many people's 401k got completely screwed within the last 10 years? Its tough to get a job with enough benefits to retire "on time" anymore.

I haven't gotten "screwed" with my 401k in the past 10 years. You invest in a 401k long term and if you follow the recommended types of investments you should not have any issues. The only people that may have gotten "screwed" is those that put all their retirement in one vehicle. I do feel bad for them, however, it is important as an investing to make sure you know what you are doing with your money.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2008 02:49 pm
I never thought Social Security was supposed to "cover the cost of living." It was always supposed to be a supplement to what you saved yourself.

The reason it started as a mandatory program is that too few people did any saving for themselves. How much have you saved toward your retirement? And how tempted would you be to spend it on, say, a house, car, trip to Spain, college education, broken leg... thinking you'd make it up later?

A few company retirement plans have spectacularly failed -- usually because the bulk of the plan's assets were shares in that company. A properly managed (usually by an outside company which specializes in investments) 401k is not generally a dangerous place for your funds.
0 Replies