Nerd Alert

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 05:20 pm
How do you know, Victor?

On swimming, I also was waaaay afraid in the pool. I did the panic dog paddle my first few classes. At the end of the first one, as a child of ten at some class at Northwestern Uni gym, I remember that I had this tendency to shake my feet (what?) instead of kicking. Last class of 10? involved diving from the low board. I remember walking on the board in disbelief and surfacing, liking it.. but having trouble shaking my feet to get to the side afterwards.

Took swimming again in high school, got to about the same point, but I'd stopped with the foot shaking, and there was no dive involved.

In adult life, avoided the deep end like the plague. I probably wasn't alone, but felt like it.

Went to the YMCA in my late thirties, learned to love to swim, at least in big pools, got to doing a mile at my own speed a few times a week. Even liked diving, once I dove off the damned board. I'm still scared of the ocean, and for me now that is reasonable, unless it is in some kind of cove.

I'd not like a nose clip, I think I'd feel semi threatened by that.
I took a lot of swimming lessons at that west LA Y back then (probably four or five sets, before I just started with laps). Our teacher was like a, what? dolphin? barracuda? some combo thereof... major glide person.
Most langourous butterfly I've ever seen... if not good for competition - I don't know, that might have been her slo move - really good for pool gaining in a luxe way. It took her very few strokes to cross 75 or so feet.
Her ability made me stop with the qualms and listen - and in practice, she didn't push us all that far past where we were able. Cool.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 05:39 pm
I do remember her hollaring at me re my first Y board jump. She simply would not countenance me backing up. Bless her heart. I remember that first dive almost by the second.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 05:40 pm
There is NO way I'd ever go off the high diving board - NO WAY. I can barely jump off the low one. ack.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 05:46 pm
Well, cough, me either. Sushi anyone?

but I figure people work up to it.

Which brings up Acupulco...
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 06:03 pm
what is that old saying.. conquer your fear by doing it?

ehh.. bullshit.

I will not get near a diving board. dont care WHO is on the other end of it.

open water that is deeper then my head scares the hell out of me.
0 Replies

Victor Murphy

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 06:44 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
kneed ?

you mean' need '?

I can't change the spelling now. I usually check my spelling before I post but I forgot this time. I can't be perfect all the time! Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2008 07:12 pm
pfffft.
0 Replies

mushypancakes

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2008 01:21 am
Woo hoo, Chai! Sassy and sexy in the pool. Smile

Swimming has kept me at least half sane over the years - I'm a fanatic and a fish by nature.

Nothing makes me happier than seeing someone taking the plunge. If you like to assesorize in the pool, go for it, why not.

Next up - full body wax and oiling you up to get maximum speed. Smile Wally might like that....
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Nerd Alert
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 08:53:57