help with assignment

brahmin

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 01:28 pm
er... i need a little help for an assignment i am doing as part of my mba course.

i would like to know the names of some top companies which have got into fuckups with government and/or organizations like greenpeace/uno regarding issues of CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY.

off the top of my head, i could think of oil companies which have caused major oil spills, companies like gillete which got into issues with wwf and peta for testing their blades on furry animals, even tobacco companies which have had lawsuits slapped against them for being peddlers of lung cancer etc etc.

but i need SPECIFIC examples, like XYZ company got penalized by so and so organization/government for such and such offence.

all contributions welcome and gratefully accepted.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,148 • Replies: 8
No top replies

contrex

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 01:56 pm
Surely you have heard of Bhopal?
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 02:23 pm
yes i have heard of bhopal, being from india and all that.

thing is about half of my MBA class in singapore is indian and i fear more than one of them is going to use this example.

so i ....need some other examples.

but thanks and keep them comming.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 02:30 pm
Exxon Valdiz?
Liggett & Myers?
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 02:44 pm
contrex wrote:
Exxon Valdiz?
Liggett & Myers?

i know about exxon valdez....but can you tell me what exactly was the OFFENCE commited by L&M, for which they could be held accountable.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 02:56 pm
Microsoft and ATT ("Ma Bell") come to mind with anti-trust issues.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 03:18 pm
thanks but anti trust issues are a thing apart from CSR issues.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2008 03:27 pm
In 1996 - 1997, Liggett Group had become the first tobacco company to settle smoking related litigation brought by the Attorneys General of several states.

In 1994, the Attorneys General of four states - Mississippi, Minnesota, West Virginia, and Massachusetts - separately filed lawsuits against the tobacco industry in an effort to secure reimbursement for health care expenditures arising from tobacco-related illnesses. During the course of this litigation, 42 other states joined in similar legal actions. In 1998, a Master Settlement Agreement (MSA) was signed by the Attorneys General of 46 states and the nation's four major tobacco companies: Philip Morris, R. J. Reynolds, Brown & Williamson, and the American Tobacco Company.

The MSA effectively settled the outstanding lawsuits by requiring yearly payments by the tobacco companies to the States and placing restrictions on the advertising and marketing of tobacco products. The MSA provisions also created and currently fund the American Legacy Foundation, an anti-smoking advocacy group, which in turn funded the creation of the Legacy Tobacco Documents Library as well as its ongoing maintenance and collection activities.
0 Replies

brahmin

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2008 07:13 am
wow thanks contrex.

i have received lots of examples of companies that have flouted social-legal-environmental norms. thanks everyone.

now i need a bit different kid of help

1) i need examples of governments or other political bodies (uno, eu) TIGHTENING THE SCREWS against a company or companies, and thus forcing them to act responsibly. For example if any of you know of any instance of some government mandating that logging companies should re-plant so many amount of trees, or fishing companies release so much of er..fishlets, etc etc.

examples where a government (including provincial/state govt) or political body forced companies to behave themselves

2) i need examples of economic reasons why companies have been forced to behave. like for example chavez is trying to come up with a pan latin american trade zone or something that will prevent 1st world MNCs from siphoning away the natural wealth of latin america. stuff down these lines.

i have enough examples of how companies have been forced to behave due to enviornmental, legal, technological, and socio-cultural reasons. i just need examples of POLITICAL and ECONOMIC reasons. can anyone help ??
0 Replies