Ten questions about race

Foofie

Thu 12 Jun, 2008 09:39 pm
snood wrote:
And in keeping with that spirit of getting past race, your avatar is a known racist.

Do you know that Jack Benny was famous for your avatar's pose. He would then say, "Well!" in a surprised tone.

Jack Benny was not a racist. The actor that played Rochester, his assistant, made a good living from that role I read.
0 Replies

JTT

Thu 12 Jun, 2008 10:10 pm
Ticomaya wrote:
[the usual tripe]

And yours is an ignorant sexual pervert. The length of time that you've retained it as your avatar speaks volumes about you.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Thu 12 Jun, 2008 10:39 pm
5 A's - 5 B's - currently leaning toward McCain.

The problem I had with the test though is that it doesn't allow you to qualify an answer. Having to pick A or B without anything in between is not an accurate reflection of my views on almost all the questions.

If I say that poor people are too dependent on government assistance programs, for instance, I don't see that as about race at all. And further I want an option to qualify that all poor people are not too dependent on government assistance programs and that it isn't necessarily the poor people's fault when they are too dependent on government assistance programs.

In most cases when it comes to social issues, there are too many variables for there to be a simple choice between A and B.
0 Replies

Kayyam

Thu 12 Jun, 2008 11:43 pm
Opportunity is the litmus test. If being poor is an major obstacle to the career.etc then more assistance is necessary.

/Kayyam
0 Replies

Mame

Fri 13 Jun, 2008 12:04 am
Is your first name Omar?

Jes' wondering.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Fri 13 Jun, 2008 09:20 am
The litmus test for me in all things is the specific circumstances. For virtually each one of the questions--maybe all--a qualification to the question might cause me to vote a certain way while a different qualification might cause me to vote a different way. In other words, none of them are absolutely cut and dried.
0 Replies

Lash

Thu 21 Aug, 2008 07:14 pm
@nimh,
1) In general, do you approve or disapprove of giving preferences to blacks and other minorities in things like hirings, promotions, and college admissions? A) Disapprove

(2) As a result of such preferences, do you think less qualified people get hired, promoted, or admitted B) Sometimes

3) Which do you think is a bigger problem in this country today...( B) Blacks losing out because of racism
(The past still affecting new generations, though the current climate, I think, is good)

4) We have gone too far in pushing equal rights in this country B) Disagree
(I think we've gone just far enough)

5) Poor people have become too dependent on government assistance programs A) Agree (But, it has been improved in the past decade.)

6) Which of these statements comes closer to your own views-even if neither is exactly right:[/b] A) Blacks who can't get ahead in this country are mostly responsible for their own condition
(This one was difficult...it sounds mean, but ultimately, in this climate, I think people can more effectively determine their outcomes.)

7) Do you approve or disapprove of marriage between blacks and whites B) Approve

8) Do you feel like you have a lot of common interests with blacks in your social class, some common interests, or very few common interests?
A) A lot

9) Would you mind if a black person with equal income and education moved into your block? B) No

10) If you had a daughter who was dating someone who was black, do you think you would be B) Okay with it (I'd be just as picky about their behavior, goals, treatment of her, but their skin color wouldn't matter.)

So, 4 As...
0 Replies

greyowlfive5

Wed 22 May, 2019 12:35 pm
@nimh,
I live in a city where blacks do whatever they please with no regard for anyone. People should be allowed to choose who they want to hire, period. I believe it is wrong that blacks still have the NAACP, as whites cannot have anything special. I strongly dislike blacks calling themselves african americans, because they are not. Obama calls himself black, and he isn't either!!
0 Replies