Run for cover !! I AM BACK !!!!

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 07:30 am
Finally I have sometime to post here in peace. Between unpacking 3 large suitcases (yeah, despite my resolution not to shop during my holiday, I did and I did a lot of it), finding space for all the new things, and restocking my fridge/freezer/bar/pantry plus sleeping off the holiday hangover and catching up with frieds, and not to mention the piled up work on my office desk, I have had no time to say a proper hello to you all.

So hello !! I am back, and hands up all those who missed me !! Tee Hee

The holiday started on a very optimistic note on the evening of the 19th itself when I went out for farewell drinks for a collegue of mine (he made his escape the lucky bastard) and carried on till late in the night. Having being a good boy and packed over the weekend itself, all I had to do was to collect my bags and get to the airport !!

Flying economy class after a number of years was giving me the creeps (I hate cost cutting, no more airmiles to fly business class free of cost) but in reality it was not that bad. But I did learn a few lessons which I had forgotten

- I am "seat 26K" not Mr. Gautam
- The choices of wine with the meal are "red or white"
- The choices of a meal is "veggie" or "non-veggie"
- JW Red Label is a crap whiskey
- Actually drinking any kind of drink out of a plastic cup is crap
- No matter how thin you are, or how short yr legs are, the seats are damn uncomfortable
- It really hurts when you read that channel 13-18 on yr TV are available in "business and first class only"
- The choices of your seat position is upright or upright
- Since your luggage does not have the "priority" tag attached to it, it comes out last

But being hungover from the previous evening, and the fact that I downed a bottle of champagne before boarding my flight (I still had access to executive lounge due to my frequent flier status) I slept most of the way to Delhi. The flight arrived 1 hr beofore time (will wonders never cease to happen ?) and as a result I had to wait for sometime before my parents came to pick me up.

But India is always great, despite the fact that it was HOT !!! I did not do much there except eat and sleep and shop. A perfect way to spend two weeks (and abt $5,000). The highlight of the trip was my folks new house - it is built like a frigging palace !! Though it is a bit small than our previous house, but my dad says that they do not need too much space as only my mom and dad are there - even then it is almost double in size of my house in London. All marble floors, the bathrooms are WOW (the one attached to my room is done in black marble), exotic rugs, you name it !!! And the best feature was a wall mural in the formal sitting room which is 9 x 6 feet, depicting the lord Ganesh. It is absolutely stunning. It was handmade by a local artist specially for our house -and apparently it is only one of its kind in the city !!

In India I always live like a king. There are servants and maids to do every work, a cook which is at your beck and call to prepare whatever you feel like eating (including endless cups of tea - which belive it or not is the best thirst quencher in the Indian heat), drivers to drive you around (the driver which dad allocated to me was great, he used to turn on the car a/c 15 minutes before I had to go somewhere - he got a hefty tip just for that !!) , the unformed guard at the gate who saltues you every time you enter or leave and open the gates for you...ahhhh pure bliss...!!!!

And the food !!! I ate out almost every evening, checking out new places which have opened or just going back to my old haunts much to the displeasure of my mother, who was constantly worried that I would fall sick (since it was the rainy season, outside food is a bit dicey !!)

And I shopped. Despite a pledge not to buy more clothes, I bought 24 new shirts Sad I just could not resist. Plus the indian spices and condiments for my kitchen, leather bags, coat, gifts for my friends, a statue made out of sandalwood (my entire lounge smells of sandalwood now) and knicks and knacks.

And even though I miss all the comforts of home, I am glad to be back !!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,302 • Replies: 44
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 07:34 am
An unformed guard? Wow! Did you form him?

Welcome back - we missed you!
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 07:34 am
Sounds like a really nice trip, mr. seat 26k! Glad that you're back though!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 07:43 am
Quote:
In India I always live like a king.

Isn't 'king' lower in than 'emperor' what you are in London? Laughing

As said already yesterday on another thread:
Welcome mansiohn in London . Jolly good show, old bean! :wink:
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 07:56 am
Good to see you back, G! I've missed you.

Awaiting your grand entrance at the palazzo in Venice. Cav has saved you some dinner. We are playing games with honey and mead right now. The chocolate fountains and champagne pool will just have to wait!

Bring the silk you promised for the pavilion at Lola's Salon. (She has closed up the place for now...may reopen it for holidays.) We are saving a special spot by the pool for your coming home party! (Elephants, peacock fans, etc. You will feel right at home.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 08:07 am
Gautam! Sounds divine, wow. Missed you! Worried about you!
0 Replies

kev

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 08:27 am
sozobe wrote:
Gautam! Sounds divine, wow. Missed you! Worried about you!

Thats an understatement sozobe, I'm off to the Indian embassy to see about emigrating.
0 Replies

bigdice67

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 08:28 am
Great one kev! get a Visa for me too, will ya!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 08:40 am
kev, you'll have to emigrate to Gautam's parents' house, you realize. I suggest starting by really, really kissing up to Gautam, then moving on to his parents.

Good luck!

(Tell me more about the Ganesh mural, G.)
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 09:03 am
Uh...kissing up to Gautam? That could be dangerous! (heehee!)
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 09:19 am
welcome back
And we are glad to have you back. You must rush over to Eva's Love Goddess party to get the late arrival food plate Cav saved for you.

---BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 09:50 am
How do we know you're back.

What kind of tea in hot weather, Gautam? Hot, I assume, but straight up, cream, sugar? Man, whatever works in India should work anywhere.

Glad it was a good trip in spite of the absence of amenities on the airline. Sounds like a long flight, too.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 08:46 pm
Gautam, welcome home!!!

I want to know, why would you ever leave all that pomp and ceremony? Sounds like living a dream, so I'm also emigrating!

Could I borrow a few bob for cab fare?
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 09:03 pm
Lovely to see you again, G! <kiss, kiss .. Very Happy >
That sounds a very decadent holiday you had!
How does it feel to be back home?
What giftie did you buy me? Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 09:04 pm
Great to see you back, Gautam. I'll be back in a bit!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 09:16 pm
Hugs to Gautam, so glad to have you back where you belong! Not that India isn't fine, but missed you.......

In fact, just on your arrival home, Craven has announced the opening of the photo gallery, which, tada, includes a travel photo albums...

Don't have the link this second, but it is under forum announcements.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 09:39 pm
24 new shirts! Shocked
How many does that make altogether?
Er, do you have a shirt fetish-obsession-thing?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 09:41 pm
Gautam - did you bring us pictures!?! One of your parents' mural?

Sigh.

I was worried about you too.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 09:46 pm
He's back!! Yay!!!

kev wrote:

Thats an understatement sozobe, I'm off to the Indian embassy to see about emigrating.

Crying or Very sad When I was being deported from South Yemen all those years ago, the Indian embassy in Aden wouldn't give me a visa for India, either. Shocked ! I always thought I was pretty harmless, so must have been something to do with Aussie cricketers!

Hey - Super G - the Indians are coming here at the end of the year. Good airfares about - email from Deckchair about prices to Melbourne, great. To Sydney - more expensive! Dunno why! See you then?
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:00 pm
Gig smooch going your way Gautam. I missed you and envy your wonderful trip. Wow!!!!!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Run for cover !! I AM BACK !!!!
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/30/2024 at 10:38:55