Simple rules to cribbage help needed

Reyn

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 11:06 am
My wife and I are learning the game of cribbage. I'm looking for a site that will explain the rules simply, so even a noob, like myself, can understand them.

I've done all the usual searches, but have yet to find a site that explains it in real layman's terms.

Can anyone help here?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,789 • Replies: 15
No top replies

TTH

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 11:21 am
I found this site's explanation not bad:
http://www.learnplaywin.net/cribbage/cribbage-rules.htm
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 11:22 am
Not familiar with a link but I've been playing cribbage for years. Got any specific questions?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 11:30 am
TTH wrote:

I just took a quick look at this link and agree with TTH that it's pretty straightforward in it's explanations.

If you're using a cribbage board you don't need to worry about total scores because the 'streets' of 30 are laid out for you. Just complete two full circuits around the board and you will have moved 120 points. First one to go past the end of the 2nd circuit wins. Some boards have 120 holes laid out in a single circuit like the picture of the one in the link.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 12:57 pm
TTH wrote:

Thank you kindly for this link. I think a novice like myself may be able to follow that. We'll see. Laughing

JPB wrote:
Not familiar with a link but I've been playing cribbage for years. Got any specific questions?
JPB wrote:
If you're using a cribbage board you don't need to worry about total scores because the 'streets' of 30 are laid out for you. Just complete two full circuits around the board and you will have moved 120 points. First one to go past the end of the 2nd circuit wins. Some boards have 120 holes laid out in a single circuit like the picture of the one in the link.

No specific questions at this time, but that might change, as I dig into it. I find the scoring gets a bit over-whelming.

I did go out and buy one of those standard wooden crib boards that have 120 holes laid out for each player, with the 121st hole for the winner.

I'll let you guys know how I do. :wink:
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 01:19 pm
Have fun -- it's a good two-person game.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 06:08 pm
Okay, here's a quick question:

When each person gets dealt 6 cards, you're then supposed to throw away 2 cards each into a separate crib pile meant for the dealer. How does one determine which 2 cards to throw away? Is there a strategy for this?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 07:00 pm
I'm going to have to check this out reyn
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 08:30 pm
I don't play or know how to play cribbage, but I found the following info.

Cribbage Strategy for Discarding for Your Opponents Crib

There is no such thing as a safe crib, but here are several ways you can reduce the chances for giving your opponent a big crib.

1. Avoid discarding cards that add up to five, a 3 and 2, or a 4 and 1.
2. Avoid giving the Q, J or 3, 4; they often produce runs. J has also a 25% chance of counting one point as Nobs.
3. Avoid two cards with just one between such as Q-10, 10-8 combination as it only takes one card from the dealer to complete the sequence.
4. Avoid 7s and 8s; they are big hand builders.
5. Don't discard two cards of the same suit.
So the good cribbage discard onto opponent's crib is: 10-K, 9-K, 6-K, 6-Q, 9-Q, 8-K, 7-10, 6-10, A-Q, 7-Q, 7-K, 8-Q, A-K and so on

Sometimes it pays to give your opponent something good. If four of your cards combine to make a good hand then, give your opponent what is left over.

Double runs should almost always be kept; chances of a quadruple or triple run are high enough to warrant keeping a double run even if you must help your opponent's crib a bit. An exception would be a hand like 5 5 10 10 9 8, when the best play is to throw the 9 8.

If you need to discard face cards, throwing a king into the opponent's crib is better than throwing a queen or jack, since it's hardest to form a run with a king

When there's a conflict between helping the opponent's crib and keeping your own hand intact, consider the score of the game. If you're ahead and it's okay if you both score big, you might take a chance on giving the opponent a big crib; but if you're behind, you want to play defensively and slow down the game, which means you should give up your own best hand to avoid helping the opponent.

source: http://www.rubl.com/rules/cribbage-strategy.html
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 09:09 pm
I would kick JB's ass in a game of cribbage with relative ease.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 29 May, 2008 09:20 pm
It makes good coleslaw is all I know.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 07:53 am
TTH wrote:
Cribbage Strategy for Discarding for Your Opponents Crib

There is no such thing as a safe crib, but here are several ways you can reduce the chances for giving your opponent a big crib.

[...]

source: http://www.rubl.com/rules/cribbage-strategy.html

This looks like excellent advice! I will study this carefully.

Thanks very much!
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 07:55 am
edgarblythe wrote:
It makes good coleslaw is all I know.

I've never played with cabbage, Edgar. How do you shuffle and deal it out for play? Laughing
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 09:12 am
Reyn
I don't know if there are other strategies or not. I hope you can find those links useful and your welcome of course. Good luck playing Very Happy
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 12:51 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I would kick JB's ass in a game of cribbage with relative ease.

NOT!

Reyn, I didn't look carefully at the strategies in the link, but it really depends on whose crib you're feeding. The dealer always gets the crib. If you're the dealer then it makes sense to give yourself better cards than if the other person is the dealer. Yes, there's always a strategy. There is ONE best way to play any hand, but that takes lots of practice and coaching and you're not looking to enter cribbage tournaments, so using general rules of thumb will suffice.

Don't break up a run of three in your hand (i.e., 7-8-9, or 2-3-4). This is a cardinal rule that you don't want to break UNLESS the other three card are three of a kind, then you would want to break up the run.

Basically, you look at the six cards. Quickly look for runs of three or more, pairs, double runs of three (a run of three including a pair such as 3-3-4-5, 6-7-7-8), and combinations of cards that add up to 15 (any combination of two or more cards such as 9-6, 3-3-9, 3-3-4-5, 1-2-3-4-5, etc). Try to keep cards that add up to 15 in your hand and throw away what you think is crap to the crib -- particularly the other person's crib. If it's your crib, you can give yourself a pair, or two cards that add up to 15 - they count the same in your crib as they do in your hand.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Fri 30 May, 2008 04:34 pm
JPB wrote:

[...]

Try to keep cards that add up to 15 in your hand and throw away what you think is crap to the crib -- particularly the other person's crib. If it's your crib, you can give yourself a pair, or two cards that add up to 15 - they count the same in your crib as they do in your hand.

Okay, this makes a lot of sense. I'll certainly keep these ideas in mind as we start to play.

-------

Great! I'm sure other stuff will come to mind later.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Simple rules to cribbage help needed
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/03/2024 at 12:31:19