Child Modeling

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 05:47 am
Im curious to hear what others think about this.

Yes, I am posting this because I am considering doing this with Jillian for a little while.
I have a fiend who is a scout for Gerber , Keds, and several other childrens clothing labels. On more then one occasion she has come to me asking me to allow Jillian into her studio.

I .. am worried about it... But , at the age of 4, I would still have control to a certain extent and could pull the plug at most any time..

But Im on the fence about it.

I have a feeling that, if I allowed it, Jillian would be picked up for a couple small parts.. no doubt.. but.. do I want to do it?

Jillian is a very laid back, very easy going girl. I dont want to stress her out, but frankly.. we could use the income and if it is only for small random jobs I dont know if I see a big issue with it.

To my understanding most small jobs take about a week to complete.
You have the standard with facial makeup settings for posed photos.
Then you have 2 small seperate video sessions. All of which are given to a company that looks through everything to find that one shot that portrays the product just right.
Those shots are then sent to the company whos product is being showcased and they will either accept or reject it.
Either way, the model is paid.

eh.
What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,305 • Replies: 50
No top replies

JPB

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 06:12 am
My chiropractor's son has been a child model since he was 2. And, a classmate of my younger daughter has been a child model since he was about 4 (he's now 16). Obviously, it wasn't the kid's idea to begin with, but in both cases the kids love the work.

I think a lot depends on how you approach it to Jillian. She's used to having her picture taken, she's probably comfortable in a studio setting...

It only becomes a problem if you push her to continue with something she doesn't enjoy. That could be modeling, or soccer, or any number of other things that parents push their kids to try.

I'd say go ahead and see how it goes. One visit to a friend's studio does not make you into a stage mom, or anything other than a mom who is giving her child an opportunity to see if she has a specific talent. Modeling is fun and hard work (I did runway work as a teen). If she likes it then let her run with it, if she doesn't then back off.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 07:06 am
Bean is certainly a beautiful child. No doubt about that.

And I know you to be a level-headed who would never do anything to harm her. Because of that I'll temper my typical "OMG NO!" response.

To me, the big tip off is whether your friend typically charges clients for this photo/video session. If she does I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. If she doesn't, I say nothing ventured nothing gained.

Modeling is a business and an agent who thinks they can realistically cast your child will see that the money they can make will be by taking a percentage of the work she (Bean) does. Charging a parent money to represent their child is a big red flag (even if she doesn't charge you personally) and you should be very cautious.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 07:11 am
Ohh no.
She is not charging me anything for the sessions and is absolutely wanting only a cut of what Bean will earn.

Right now she is doing keds new line of shoes for girls size 10- 1

Bean fits that outline. She has been hounding me for a year now.

Im not sure I will jump on board that quickly, but I think I will take her up on her offer of watching what happens. Spending time in her studio and her office and seeing the actual process.

I dont want Jillian to do this for years. No way. I dont care if she ends up loving it. At 4, 5, 6 years old.. there is no place for a child in front of a camera their entire little lives.
If she is beautiful now, she will be beautiful later.

Im being 100% honest when I say this is --only-- about us getting some income --this year--.
I want to start school and earn my masters in photojournalism.
The starting 2 classes at ACC are cheap.. the ones after that are not. I am looking for a way to cover that and thats it.
And I wont put Bean up to long sessions, or travel.

Small, local shots, once a month or so is it.

Im definitely not going to try to push her into another Dakota Manning Confused
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 07:19 am
I think for sure! It's ok as long as the parent stays in control.

I don't agree with makeup and hair styling (past what's necessary for the camera) and I think there is a cut off age that you should give your kid a break. Being a tween model is probably too stressful for an already stressed out kid (it's tough growing up!).

But right now, I think if Bean likes it and you keep control of her work, it's fine.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 07:19 am
I'm sure that Bean would like that ... if it's "her setting" that is, if she can go on and stop to do different when she likes to.

And since that's how it sounds for me - just try it, the both of you.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 07:21 am
I think that what the others say is true....

I would do it in a heartbeat. For a few years - it is too hard to do the older they get unless you want to keep them from normal activities. I am already running them to places and I said I wouldn't do that - but it is easier said than done.

I think as long as you control it - and you are there with her - it is a great idea. She is a beautiful child and has that kind of personality - she will enjoy it I bet.

I almost did it with the twins...but I am a lazy ass - it seemed like too much at the time! Now we are just too busy. I wish I had done it back then.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 07:23 am
It's all about the parents and keeping them grounded with the correct perspective on reality.

One of my daughter's friends growing up is a Ford model. So's her brother (not sure what agency). We've walked into stores such as the Gap and found their pictures up on the wall. My daughter to this day will be looking through fashion magazines and suddenly have a realization - "OMG that's *****!!!". Her parents have done a great job with both her and her brother. The money is all saved, they get an allowance similar to other kids their age. They don't wear fancy clothes, and go to public schools.

Note: It certainly doesn't hurt that ***** is 6' tall and skinny, and that her father was an underwear model (so I'm told). Wink
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 07:31 am
I'd give it a try then.

Did you read that article osso posted about the retouching guy? There was a bit in there about Dove soap's "Campaign for real beauty" and the guy asked "Do you have any idea how much retouching went into that?"

Scary stuff.

Bean is still young enough now that she probably wouldn't pick up on "imperfection" messages that modeling can dish out, even to kids. Beauty is an ugly business.

It's very cool that you want to go to school to study photography! Yeah shewolf! You should take your portfolio to the school and see if you can get credit for what you already know which is A LOT. Good luck with that!
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 07:33 am
Bella Dea wrote:
I think for sure! It's ok as long as the parent stays in control.

I don't agree with makeup and hair styling (past what's necessary for the camera) and I think there is a cut off age that you should give your kid a break. Being a tween model is probably too stressful for an already stressed out kid (it's tough growing up!).

But right now, I think if Bean likes it and you keep control of her work, it's fine.

really hate make-up and hair styling - kids should look like kids...not little beauty queens...I understand the need for powder and such for shine and being washed out though
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 07:59 am
Quote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coogan_Law

shewolfnm- You say that you could use the money that would be earned. Now, I don't know if other states have similar laws protecting child performers, but it might be a good idea if you checked. Your little one is a doll. One never knows if she will be the next Brooke Shields!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 08:00 am
I also have mixed feelings about it. I believe that one of my daughters when she was very young from a year to pre-school would have been an excellent model - I frequently had strangers come up to me and tell me she is a beautiful child. And mention things about modeling her. She has incredible blue eyes and had the best curly hair and also was very photogenic.

I thought the same thing - money could help, but I didn't want to exploit her. Not that it is necessarily exploiting, but I was concerned about similar things so I never pursued it.

I'm not saying that you shouldn't - I think every situation is different and every child is different. Have you asked her? Also, one other thing I would recommend is if you do pursue this to make sure throughout the process that she is happy with it. If at any point it gets to be too much, make sure you are able to walk away for it. I think you could all benefit if handled appropriately and at the forefront always make sure it is in her best interest and that she enjoys it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 08:08 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Your little one is a doll. One never knows if she will be the next Brooke Shields!

The Bean isn't a doll at all - at least what I have learnt during the four, five days I've met her.

She's one of the nicest four years old children you can imagine, a really lovebable little child, but no doll at all.

To become the "the next Brooke Shields" it neds to have something like their parents. Bean's are different, a lot different. What I know from my own experience, too.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 08:55 am
Shewolf
Bean is a beautiful, charming and extraordinary child, no doubt about it. But she is beautiful because of her personality and her ease in her world. She is self-confident because of her parent's influence and values. Bean will never be a brat as long as that influence guides her. As long as her parents protect her from exploitation, their's or someone else's, she will be safe and happy.

As long as Bean's free spirit is protected, let her expand her horizons.

BBB
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 09:05 am
At first I was going to say 'hell yes do it'. But then I started thinking, you never know what kinds of things are impacting a childs mind. What might go unnoticed as an adult could be something totally different to a kid. This will take some research.

What if after a week you find the kid with a little toy Chihuahua in a mink coat and chatting on a cellphone with those super big sunglasses. You'll have a little Brittney Spears on your hands, a little Parris Hilton.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 09:58 am
Shewolf...you have great instincts. Go check it out...if you feel it is not a good situation then just don't keep her there. You are the best one to judge how you feel and how she is coping with the situation. I know you are aware enough to curtail anything you thought was affecting her negatively.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 12:24 pm
Little bean wont be a Brooke Shields because she doesnt have a mother who would be behind the idea of creating one like Walter said.

Though.. as an adult if that is how she turned out to be.. WOWSER!! That would be cool. But not right now. No way , no how.

I had also thought of the negative aspects of this too..

1) her seeing her photo, AFTER it has been touched up beyond recognition

2) seeing other.. models... and knowing that they are successful based only on their looks

3) grasping the concept of 'being beautiful' in a negative way..

etc..etc.. I could list several others..

And then I realized that she is only 4. She will not remember this. If she does it will be because mommy or daddy relives it over and over again by continuing to draw attention to what she did when she was four. Sometimes I forget that as an adult, I have that kind of power over memories and behaviors.

If I take her into this... do a few jobs here and there.. and then let it be.. Dont feed it. Dont exploit it and dont pick jobs / positions that would make her a large subject ( tv commercials.. etc) then.. all should be well right?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 12:42 pm
I was going to make the same point Phoenix did. Check on the laws in your jurisdiction about who has access to the funds. Also check on whether there is an actors union involved - here you have to be a member of ACTRA to be in any commercials and there are some significant apprentizing costs for the first half-dozen or so jobs.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 12:43 pm
shewolfnm wrote:
Little bean wont be a Brooke Shields because she doesnt have a mother who would be behind the idea of creating one like Walter said.

Though.. as an adult if that is how she turned out to be.. WOWSER!! That would be cool. But not right now. No way , no how.

I had also thought of the negative aspects of this too..

1) her seeing her photo, AFTER it has been touched up beyond recognition

2) seeing other.. models... and knowing that they are successful based only on their looks

3) grasping the concept of 'being beautiful' in a negative way..

etc..etc.. I could list several others..

And then I realized that she is only 4. She will not remember this. If she does it will be because mommy or daddy relives it over and over again by continuing to draw attention to what she did when she was four. Sometimes I forget that as an adult, I have that kind of power over memories and behaviors.

If I take her into this... do a few jobs here and there.. and then let it be.. Dont feed it. Dont exploit it and dont pick jobs / positions that would make her a large subject ( tv commercials.. etc) then.. all should be well right?

I don't see why you should have an issue. As long as you keep your head about it and only expose her to what you feel is appropriate and as long as you keep it fun for her.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 27 May, 2008 12:49 pm
Is she a Hannah Montana/Mylie Cyrus fan? This could end badly.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Child Modeling
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 05/06/2024 at 04:54:27