Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 02:56 pm
Favorite stories: Pit and the Pendulum, Fall of the House of Usher, Mask of the Red Death
Favorite Poem (of all poems): The Raven
Poem I most wish I had written: Alone
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 02:58 pm
Alone is so sad.

I envy Poe, but yet i pity him.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 03:24 pm
I believe the code is a name and address...
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 03:30 pm
It is "France's Sargent trthod"

Don't understand the last part.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 03:32 pm
I will have to look into that, as it may be abbreviation.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 04:00 pm
oh ok, i got you
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 04:51 pm
Good evening. Edgar attended the University of Virginia for a spell. His room on the Lawn is preserved pretty much as it was. If you ever get to Charlottesville, you could see it.
He was prone to gambling and drinking,
Many years ago I had access to some property NE of C'ville in what is called the "Ragged Mountain" range. Poe supposedly spent a lot of time there.
My friends (but not me, of course) thought it appropriate to ingest some mind-altering drugs in his honor.

I'm struggling to come up with the spelling of the scariest Poe story: Tellttale Heart (?).
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 05:14 pm
Scariest are:

1. Mask of the Red Death
2. Pit and the Pendulum
3. Telltale Heart

Strange that they are all grotesque. Many people find arabesque horror, much more horrifying.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 08:06 pm
What does everyone think of Murders in the Rue Morgue? I haven't read it in many years and my memory of it is corrupted by Hollywood.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 08:09 pm
I think it was boring and dry. But it was the invention of the detective novel and was far better than Agatha's drek.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 03:08 pm
Got any news on the "code"?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 05:02 pm
I found this:

[This valentine was written for Frances Sargent Osgood. Mrs. Osgood's full name is spelled with one letter on each line, the first letter of the first line ("F"), the second letter of the second line ("r"), the third letter of the third line ("a"), etc. In the original version, Poe accidentally mispelled her middle name as "Sergeant"]
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 06:28 pm
Oh ok i see....Poe seems like a HUGE ladies man.
0 Replies

jnfr

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 08:13 pm
I heard that Poe was a victim of the corrupted elections of his time. Some guys drugged him or gave him to much to drink and possibly (?) beat him and then dragged him off to vote multiple times (i'm a little foggy on 1800's election processes, so I'm not exactly sure how they pulled it off...) and then left him on a street where he was too inebriated/beaten to move...so he died....that's one theory at least.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 08:16 pm
Ive also heard that......It happened in Baltimore, and their election systems, were just to show up, give your name, and vote. So basically all Poe had to do is change clothes and give a new name. But the thing that makes it so strange is that they found Poe in a strangers clothes.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:13 am
The latest theory is that Poe died of rabies.
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 02:50 pm
Indeed, he was bitten by a dog in his last days.

Another theory is a brain tumor killed him. Sad
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 03:18 pm
Love "Annabelle Lee"
If you have the chance, read Nevermore by Harold Schecter. Poe and Davy Crockett (!) chase a serial muder in 1840s Bwal'e'mer. Hilarious,and he has Poe down to a tee! Think Niles Crane with receding black hair.Nevermore
0 Replies

Child of the Light

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 04:19 pm
What does Pit and The Pendulum mean to you guys?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 04:29 pm
Child of the Light wrote:
What does Pit and The Pendulum mean to you guys?

No one expects the Spanish Inquisition. Smile
0 Replies