Will that be cash or charge?

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2008 03:35 am
There is no doubt now that the economy is in turmoil, and the end is not in sight. Prices are going up the roof, and not only for gas. On the bright side, because people are buying less, there are a lot of opportunities for wonderful "sales" that keep popping up. It is up to each of us to do a bit of research, and find ways to maximize our buying power.

Hope that this is helpful:

http://www.gasbuddy.com/
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 08:48 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
There is no doubt now that the economy is in turmoil, and the end is not in sight. Prices are going up the roof, and not only for gas. On the bright side, because people are buying less, there are a lot of opportunities for wonderful "sales" that keep popping up. It is up to each of us to do a bit of research, and find ways to maximize our buying power.

Hope that this is helpful:

http://www.gasbuddy.com/

Thanks - I looked this up and one of the cheapest in my town is the one that charges extra for credit!
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 09:03 am
Phoenix32890 thanks for the link, but they don't even have where I live as an option. Gas in the area right now is $4.42 for premium.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 09:22 am
It doesn't matter to me if there is a 5 or 6 or even 10 cent difference in gas prices between cash and credit.

Say you fill up your car, average tank is 14 gallons.

At $3.99 a gallon, that's $55.86 (holy ****!). At $4.10 a gallon, that's $57.40. I am not going to drive around to save $1.54. Even if you fill up every week for a year, that's still only saving you 80 bucks a year and honestly, convenience is worth that price to me.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 09:27 am
Her Royal Bitchiness (just joking=sig line) Laughing
I just recently filled up our 2 cars and 1 truck at a cost of $249. I do shop at Safeway so I get their .10 cent off a gallon. But, if I am not in the area of a Safeway gas station, I am not driving out of my way to go there.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 10:22 am
That's what I do. If it's there, great. But I don't get people who drive all over the world looking for gas that's 5 cents cheaper.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 10:59 am
Bella Dea wrote:
It doesn't matter to me if there is a 5 or 6 or even 10 cent difference in gas prices between cash and credit.

At $3.99 a gallon, that's $55.86 (holy ****!). At $4.10 a gallon, that's $57.40. I am not going to drive around to save $1.54. Even if you fill up every week for a year, that's still only saving you 80 bucks a year and honestly, convenience is worth that price to me.

But if you know there is a difference and you have cash on hand it still saves you. With everything going up so much, if I can save here and there why not. But I agree I do not drive out of my. Many of these gas stations listed with the lowest prices are in areas where I drive by regularly - why not save a few bucks.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 11:18 am
That is why when I need to go somewhere, I try to make all my appts. on the same day. That way I am not driving everyday to go somewhere.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 12:42 pm
Linkat wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

But if you know there is a difference and you have cash on hand it still saves you. With everything going up so much, if I can save here and there why not. But I agree I do not drive out of my. Many of these gas stations listed with the lowest prices are in areas where I drive by regularly - why not save a few bucks.

I don't carry cash, at least enough for gas, on me.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 12:53 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Linkat wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

I don't carry cash, at least enough for gas, on me.

I'd still prefer the $80 for something else. ATMs are everywhere - I even have one in my workplace cafe and it is my bank so no charges.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2008 07:37 pm
Linkat wrote:
JPB wrote:
I haven't noticed that here, Linkat... how was it posted?

But then, we already have the highest gas prices in the nation so I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see an add-on price for credit cards slipping back into the mix.

Well the have the huge advertisement (which is what attracted me - cheaper gas than many) - then when you pull up to the pumps, the prices above the pumps have two prices, one listed ontop of the other.

One of the Petrol Plus stations? I got hit with the same thing a week or so ago on Quincy Ave in Braintree. Huge sign on the street with the cash price, little tiny notice on the top of the pump that the credit price was $.06/gal more... Bah!
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 3 Jun, 2008 10:13 am
fishin wrote:
Linkat wrote:
JPB wrote:
I haven't noticed that here, Linkat... how was it posted?

But then, we already have the highest gas prices in the nation so I wouldn't be a bit surprised to see an add-on price for credit cards slipping back into the mix.

Well the have the huge advertisement (which is what attracted me - cheaper gas than many) - then when you pull up to the pumps, the prices above the pumps have two prices, one listed ontop of the other.

One of the Petrol Plus stations? I got hit with the same thing a week or so ago on Quincy Ave in Braintree. Huge sign on the street with the cash price, little tiny notice on the top of the pump that the credit price was $.06/gal more... Bah!

Nope not that one - it is some small time place - forget the name, but it is near the Outback in Quincy - there are a few clustered around there that tend to have a bit cheaper gas.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 01:59 pm
I really MUST pay closer attention to what I am paying for gas. I always fill it up with my Debit/Credit bank card & I never use cash. If I am being charged EXTRA because of using a card - I will surely bring it to the attention of SOMEONE, because there's no indication anywhere of any price difference between Credit/Debit OR cash. Speaking of gasoling, it
costs about $4.10/gal here in Florida. How much are they charging in other parts of the country???
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 02:58 pm
I can get it for as low as $3.97/gallon - this is at a gas station that only accepts cash. Fortunately it is near my church and kids' school so I am around it every week.

I have one other thing that I discovered. A grocery store I frequent (stop and shop for anyone in the area) will give you discounts off gas depending on how much you spend in their stores - so you spend $100 and you get $0.10 per gallon; at $200 you get a discount of $0.20/gallon

Great deal - I have accumulated $0.40 off a gallon.
0 Replies