And I pity any girl who isn't me tonight.

boomerang

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 08:37 pm
Ha! Mr. B had not come home yet when I posted the question.

littlek, I followed around a certain stylist for years and years -- even after he moved to one edge of town. A year later I moved to the other edge of town. I would probably still go see him if Portland didn't have so many rivers and so few bridges.

I have no idea what this place would charge for color, Chumley but I bet it isn't hard to hit the $200 mark. I've made peace with my grey.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 09:05 pm
What's with tipping hairdressers?

Aren't they earning a living, appropriate wage? If not, why not?

It's their job to cut hair. You pay them to do it. And then you tip them because they did???

I understand waiters in US aren't paid an appropriate living wage, and live on tips. But the $50 haircut would seem appropriate payment. That's roughly what it costs here - and my hairdresser would probably faint if I tipped him!

Cost of living is much the same.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 03:03 pm
margo, the stylist doesn't usually get what you pay the salon.

there's a lengthy thread at another forum I go to, where they're discussing the range of the appropriate tip at hair salons - to sort of cover what they don't get paid

at the salon I go to, one of the stylists recently asked for an increase in her pay. the owner told her she was being greedy, increased the cost to customers - but isn't giving the stylists any of the increase Twisted Evil
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 03:55 pm
djjd62 wrote:
i cut my own hair

If we meet at a gathering, I will cut your hair. Uh, once we're out of the restaurant or bar, of course.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 08:39 am
I had my hair cut just yesterday. I went with a number 2 blade and it is really short. I usually leave my hair long and combed back as I work in an office. After the hair cut my face looked bad with the beard so I had them cut it down to a goatee. Well, I have had a beard for almost 12 years now and let me tell you it is an odd snesation felling the wind on your face when you are not used to it. Today I keep scrapping my stubble like it's a new toy. Feels like sand paper.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 10:16 am
I still get cheap haircuts - currently paying $12 plus $5 tip at Great Clips. I'm almost always happy with my cuts there, but the last one was too short. She managed to cut almost all the curls off! But it's been three weeks and I'm liking it better now.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 10:37 am
I paid $15 when I had really short hair, but then I grew it out and it was a nightmare finding someone who could cut my type of hair. I finally found a guy who was a bloody wizard and paid him $50 plus a $10 tip - sadly, he broke up with his boyfriend and decamped. I have no idea where he is but I am determined to find him again. Anyone in Vancouver know where Steve Mackie is???

I've been going to a woman in WVan for the last 4 or 5 years who is a real sweetie but completely out of date Smile Decent enough cuts and great conversation, so I keep going - she charges $30.

Now I'm downtown I'll have to pay the exorbitant rates again - don't know why but they seem to start at $60. I've had terrible cuts at this price, so it doesn't guarantee talent. Just have to find someone with hair like mine and ask where they get theirs cut. Or find Stevie.

I just realized I haven't had a cut since November - it's not something I really care about. What do you do with curly, wavy hair, anyway?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 11:47:07