And I pity any girl who isn't me tonight.

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 05:01 pm
Because I feel.... I dunno.... pretty?

I haven't had a REAL haircut in years so I decided to splurge today and go to a trendy salon and get a cut. The stylist spent a lot of time talking to me about what I was willing and not willing to do with my hair and how much time I was willing or not willing to spend on it and how trendy or not trendy I was wanting to go and she did a great job.

I love my new haircut!

But at $60 plus a 20% tip it seems kind of pricey. I'm not complaining because I love my haircut but because it's been so long since I've had a real cut I'm just wondering if that is typical of the going rate or not.

So I'm just wondering what you spend on a haircut?

Could I get away with going to a lesser salon for upkeep or should I bite the bullet and schedule regular maintence with this girl who cuts my hair good?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,268 • Replies: 26
No top replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 05:13 pm
Hun, if it makes you feel good, pretty and confident.... then pay the gal the money if you think she's done a good job and go with the good feeling for the moment.

So glad it has made you feel good about yourself. Nothing like a bit of pampering. What's important is if it makes YOU feel fab. You do. I wouldn't question it for the moment - maybe later - enjoy good feeling.

(off to eat lemon citroen tarte - that'll make me feel good!)
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 05:13 pm
i hear alot of talk with the trendy rich preppies about not gettin 10 dollar haircuts, theirs usually cost about that.

60-70 bucks, you can go cheaper but the quality goes down too.

im just lettin mine grow.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 05:18 pm
I spend $35 at Ulta and make sure I get the same stylist each time.

I tip her $10.

Their stylists charge by their experience. 35, 45 and I think 50.

Once sarah wasn't there and I regretfully went with a supposedly more experienced person.

I hated the results.

When Sara starts to charge more, I'll pay it. I really love her, she's got all these piercings and tatoos, but has the personality of a wood sprite.

Do they have Ulta's where you live?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 05:22 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
i hear alot of talk with the trendy rich preppies about not gettin 10 dollar haircuts, theirs usually cost about that.

If you pay $10 for a haircut, that's what you'll get. I sure wouldn't spend 1/2 hour or more of my time to make $10, minus expenses.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 05:23 pm
i cut my own hair
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 05:25 pm
Do you have a flowbee?
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 05:26 pm
i wish
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 05:27 pm
Chai wrote:
I spend $35 at Ulta and make sure I get the same stylist each time.

I tip her $10.

Their stylists charge by their experience. 35, 45 and I think 50.

Once sarah wasn't there and I regretfully went with a supposedly more experienced person.

I hated the results.

When Sara starts to charge more, I'll pay it. I really love her, she's got all these piercings and tatoos, but has the personality of a wood sprite.

Do they have Ulta's where you live?

u described my dream girl lol!
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 05:28 pm
Chai wrote:
OGIONIK wrote:

If you pay $10 for a haircut, that's what you'll get. I sure wouldn't spend 1/2 hour or more of my time to make $10, minus expenses.

yeah mine is short tho, like a #3 on top #1 on sides usually.

everyone says i look like a nazi so now im goin hippie.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 05:32 pm
I like my own cut of my hair best except for the back, so I give up and go to salons. I've had bad cuts from $10. places and bad cuts from $65. places.
Best cut in recent years was from a place called Master Cuts, a low end shop, but the same guy got it totally wrong the next time. Grrrrr.

I'm letting it grow in a kind of salon rest phase at the moment. Which will mean it'll be long for summer, and I'll give up and cut it in winter, not smart timing.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 05:34 pm
thats what i do in summer it grows in winter ic ut it.

opposites attract or yadda yadda.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 05:38 pm
It's pretty hot here in August. I may have to get used to sweaty hair. <wrinkles nose>
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 06:01 pm
There is an Ulta here but it is a long ways away. And I worry about getting not-Sara. I went to Toni and Guy where I thought everyone probably had to cut the mustard to get a job there. I think they work on a sliding scale too since they said -- She charges $60 for a cut.

And there is nothing like a bit of pampering, Izzie, you're right.

Osso, it was the weirdly hot weekend we just had (In the 90s! in May! WTF?) that tempted me in for a cut.

My hair was getting long and I started to consider a ponytail. Not only am I too old for a ponytail, Mo always wants me to pretend I'm his other mother when I pull my hair back and that kind of freaks me out.

My last $15 hair cut was essentially a mullet. It was horrid. I took to wearing caps until my psychic friend showed up and whacked off a bit of the back for me. Never again. I'm not really fanatical about my hair but a mulletty thing was uncomfortable.

And men, while I appreciate your input you simply don't count in this conversation. Men's haircuts are not comparable to womens.

Mr. B and Mo go to this place whose name is a word play on "harem", a men's only Hooter's type establishment. They serve coffee, beer and all manner of beverages that are loved by small children. Included in the cut is relaxing in their sports TV area on luxurious sofas, a hot towel facial, and a neck and scalp massage. All this for $25 for Mr. B and like free or something for Mo. (Mr. B and I have a don't ask, don't tell policy about tipping.) It's one of their male bonding adventures.

So if you're getting $10 haircuts or doing it yourself you are seriously cheating yourselves.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 06:04 pm
is a guy with long hair hot? or does it depend?

i told my friend "dude long haired guys alway s have hot girls, like u know lions, they have manes and **** its like showin off.."

for real tho, every long hair guy has an amazing girlfriend. she might be cute or just cool.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 06:08 pm
boomer, $60 is pretty normal these days. I pay $50, plus i leave a generous tip for my hairdresser AND for whoever washes my hair. For me it's not more than twice, max. thrice a year, so why the heck not.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 06:33 pm
I think your city is probably comparable to mine expense-wise, dag, so that makes me feel a bit better about the cost.

Mr. B came home and said "Grrrrrrr. Great haircut!"

And I said "Thanks. I probably spent a bit too much...."

And he said "No you didn't. That's a great haircut."

And then he took Mo to baseball practice.

So that makes me feel a bit better about the cost too!

As to long hair on men, yeah, it totally depends. To me, it just screams "BOY" though and I like men. But when MEN get older, say over 65, they can do long hair again and it looks good. So yeah, again, it depends. Case study: Jon Bon Jovi.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 08:07 pm
I traditionally never have gotten my hair cut at the same place three times. I go in once, if it's ok, I go again, but unless I feel I the person cutting the hair knows what I'm talking about, I stop going. I finally found a guy who knows what I'm talking about. He was one place, then another place, then he disappeared for a year. Now he's back. I just got my hair cut and while it's not perfect, he squeezed me in last-minute, and cut my hair (dry) in 10 minutes. It's a pretty damned good haircut, in my book. Because it was such a rush job he charged me 20 bucks and promised me a free, funky fix-up in a couple weeks. I gave him a 10 buck tip.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 08:22 pm
Mrs. Chumly goes to some modern-style-setting-over-pricey-place and I have no idea, nor am I allowed to know, what the damages are.

I'm guessing @ around $100 - $200 a pop, but not only does she get it cut in any number of ways, but also gets it colored in various layering-type-arrangement-thingies.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 08:25 pm
boomerang wrote:

Mr. B came home and said "Grrrrrrr. Great haircut!"

And I said "Thanks. I probably spent a bit too much...."

And he said "No you didn't. That's a great haircut."

Don't you just hate it when somebody says you've answered your own question. So, okay. I won't say it.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » And I pity any girl who isn't me tonight.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 09:25:28