The 'book falls in the bath' problem!

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 02:19 am
In a variation of the book in the bath, I somehow left a library book out in the garden last night, and it duly rained for the first time in weeks! I just found the book twenty minutes ago, and it is sopping wet!
Anyone have any foolproof methods of drying books while avoiding the curly page/ pages stuck together problems??
Any advice is appreciated as the book is due back next week!
Alternatively, if you don't have any advice, please regale us with an amusing tale of accidentally ruining a book Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,714 • Replies: 17
No top replies

Adele

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 04:20 am
Put typing paper in between ever single page. And straighten them out as much as possible. After an hour of slow drying, take out the typing paper and replace it with fresh typing paper. Sit on the book so that all lays flat. Keep taking out the type paper and putting in dry.
The only way I have ever 'passed' the librarians' gruesome gander, was to do just everything I mentioned. Just keep changing the paper in between so it keeps absorbing. And be sure to keep it all flat under pressure. (sitting on it)
If you don't change the paper enough, the pages will start to stick together, and make one nasty sticky mess.
I hope all goes well for you. Good luck
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 04:47 am
Thank you; it has dried out quite a bit now, so I've put it between two heavy bricks, hopefully it will get rid of the 'wiggle' Smile
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 06:45 am
Oh my! I once dropped a copy of "Dombey and Son" in the loo - and I was writing an essay on it as I read it - I was about half-way through!

Hairdryer was the only thing - and rubber gloves. It was my own copy, though.

Glad your book is looking ok!
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 01:31 pm
The Book falls in the bath problem
Well, I can't help you with the drying problem, but I think I can beat it; I borrowed a book from the public library many years ago, and dropped it in the bath BUT to add to the fun, the cover was red, and it duly ran - and it looked as though I was bathing in blood!
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 02:34 pm
You People!!!!!!!!!!

No wonder librarians give you such looks! Long suffering saints they are Cool !
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 02:51 pm
The Book Falls in the Bath Problem
Well, get this: I WAS a librarian at the time! Embarrassed Embarrassed
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 02:55 pm
Re: The Book Falls in the Bath Problem
Tomkitten wrote:
Well, get this: I WAS a librarian at the time! Embarrassed Embarrassed

Librarians and teachers are absolutely the worst customers! (read my profile!) Twisted Evil Embarrassed
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 01:27 pm
I think I am going to get away with it!! The book has been squashed between two bricks for over 24 hours, it is drying with no wiggles! Woo hoo!

dlowan, what a shame! Worst loo experience I had was dropping my specs, in their case, in a public loo - the case filled up, and they sank like a brick to the bottom, lol! Yuck. A library book in the loo, well that would be pretty traumatic!!

tomkitten, Very Happy That's a good one!
0 Replies

jnfr

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 02:24 pm
I was reading my mom's beloved copy of John Adams. She bought the hardcover version because it was one of those books that she wanted to save, not to mention keep nice, throughout the years... Well, it was the summertime, and I was reading outside...it's hot, so I decide leave the book outside, get a drink, and come back...well....I don't come back.....and it thunderstorms during the night...oops! so the next morning I sneak the now bloated book back into the house and hide it in my ceiling tiles....I live in a small town, so there was no way I could buy and replace the book any time soon... I want to escape a lecture from my mom, so I don't tell my mom of the books fate...so for many months I "read" John Adams...til finally I go to Minneapolis and buy the book....that the book is a replacement is a secret that will hopefully go to my grave......
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 02:26 pm
jnfr Laughing Cool

and welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 03:28 pm
lol, jnfr, your secret is safe with us! Very Happy
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 03:34 pm
I understand that some deep sea divers invest in read-once paperbacks to read as the ascend slowly, slowly avoiding the bends.

Evidently if the book never dries out, it never gets crinkly and awful.
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 04:38 pm
Gosh, how long does it take to ascend??
I wonder what the library would think if I returned the book in a jar of water - 'I think you should start a section of books purely to be read in the bath...' Smile
0 Replies

jnfr

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 06:08 pm
thanks for keeping the secret Smile I can just imagine the librarians response if you returned a book in a jar of water and say, "if you keep it in the jar, it'll never get crinkly!!" HA!---oh dear, i seem to relish the thought of book abuse a bit too much, don't I....I am like an abusive husband....i love books, but i shall make them MINE!! muwahaha..... moral of story, never lend me a book Smile
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 01:24 pm
I'm not a diver myself, but I understand that six to eight hours of rising slowly and pausing frequently to decompress are not uncommon.

The alternative is The Bends.
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 09:18 am
Thanks for answering, Noddy. My uncle suffered from The Bends many years ago, it's not nice Sad But I had no idea that it could take as long as six hours to rise from the depths!
0 Replies

carrie

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2003 03:49 am
I was once reading a little book and after a cigarette break took it into the toilet with me...this is when I came across the strange 'slow motion book falling syndrome'...as the poor little thing fell, I could see it wanting to be caught...it seemed to take hours and my books whole life flashed before my eyes...

Well, then I nearly got sacked as the whole thing made me laugh so much that I couldn't do anything but laugh for the whole next hour....bearing in mind I was a civil servant...not a good place to have spontaneous laughing fits about things in the loo!!

The book is crinkled but I am pleased to say that it survived the ordeal...!

xxxxx

xxxx
0 Replies