Oliver Lafarge

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 04:41 pm
Has anyone here read anything by Oliver Lafarge? His best-known book is Laughing Boy. I've read a number of others too, and would love to discuss LB and the others with anyone who knows them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 714 • Replies: 4
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2003 08:18 am
I've never heard of this author. What's he like? Do you have any other authors you can compare him to?
0 Replies

Elegant Fowl

Reply Wed 17 Sep, 2003 07:06 pm
LaFarge was an American writer best known for his novel Laughing Boy, a love story with a social message set mostly in the Navajo nation about a hundred years ago. He also wrote The Enemy Gods and several other novels of varying quality and a lot of short stories, some with an Indian setting, some about anthropologists and even a couple science fiction items.

He died in the 60s and his work seems to be fading, though I imagine Laughing Boy will always have readers, as it is truly a beautiful story. It is still in print, possibly the only one of his fiction titles that still is. I recommend it highly.

As to whom LaFarge reminds me of, no names spring to ming. He has a subtly lyrical style that, while not terribly remarkable in itself, doesn't really resemble anyone else's that I know of.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 11:59 am
Many thanks - yet another author to check out, on my list of hundreds. :-D Cool!
0 Replies

Elegant Fowl

Reply Thu 18 Sep, 2003 12:22 pm
Actually, I slept on it a bit and am vaguely reminded of Thornton Wilder. Vaguely.
0 Replies