For Reasons Unknown

Chumly

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 08:21 pm
Have you ever been struck with a certain sadness? One that seems to come out of the blue. Perhaps it has a melancholy overtone to it, but in any case it appears uninvited, unwelcome and rather short-lived. It disappears from whence it came, all for reasons unknown.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,946 • Replies: 51
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 08:38 pm
Most of the time I listening to Bonnie Raitt sing "I can't make you love me." Even when I am in the happiest of times, that song will puncture my mood.

Joe(then it passes)Nation
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 08:57 pm
I have always been able to dig about until I can identify a cause of such depression.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 08:59 pm
I'm dying my hair, maybe the vapors are compelling the gremlins, or maybe I don't always want to know the truth.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 09:03 pm
It's pretty normal to feel some sadness at times.
We're all full of emotions - the good, the (b)sad, and the ugly.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 07:48 pm
I think those blue moods come from somewhere in my brain that remembers, but doesn't allow me to verbalize the thought, that there are some sad things in my life that never had closure.

Sort of like the feeling one is coming down with a cold, and then it goes away after some rest and food.

I think that's why I listen to radio a lot. It's a live voice that short circuits those feelings, I think?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 08:08 pm
I think that if I don't have a good cry on occasion, it is physically bad for me. I have even been known to put in a particularly tear-jerking dvd episode of The waltons or a sad movie, specifically to induce a sort of brain catharsis I get from just letting myself be frikkin SAD.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 08:29 pm
Go kill something, cook it, and eat it. Find your inner happy. Doesn't matter if it's a mushroom or a cervid. Just do it.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 08:36 pm
Now here is a depressing thought if there ever was one. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 09:17 pm
cjhsa wrote:
Go kill something, cook it, and eat it. Find your inner happy. Doesn't matter if it's a mushroom or a cervid. Just do it.

Thank you cj. I will definitely hasten to take any advice about emotional healthiness provided by you.

Right after I start getting spiritual guidance from the Flintstones.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 04:39 am
Re: For Reasons Unknown
Chumly wrote:
Have you ever been struck with a certain sadness? One that seems to come out of the blue. Perhaps it has a melancholy overtone to it, but in any case it appears uninvited, unwelcome and rather short-lived. It disappears from whence it came, all for reasons unknown.

It's usually chemical and it works both ways. You can also be hit with a wave of euphoria and love. There's often some trivial trigger. Many women experience depression and euphoria as a part of PMS or pregnancy, men also seem to have these emotional waves, but it tends to less physically obvious. It helps to recognize that it's just a phase. Try and distract yourself by doing something you enjoy. For cjhsa it might be strangling a kitten, others might prefer to go for a walk, read a favorite book, or watch a funny movie.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 04:49 am
Chumly wrote:

Sometimes a feeling happens upon you and you aren't aware why - you may see, or smell/touch something, someone can say something to you - and then you suddenly can feel a sadness. Sometimes I find myself staring out the window and an incredible wave of sadness overwhelms me - then, the phone rings ... or whatever it is...any noise, and in a split second it's gone again. Or it can go on for a while. Maybe it's the brain just sorting through memories of a sort - no specific memories - just putting them in a place somewhere and filing them away.

As much as it happens with a melancholy feeling, it happens with good/happy feelings too. I guess it balances out to a degree.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 06:46 am
CalamityJane wrote:
Now here is a depressing thought if there ever was one. Rolling Eyes

Then just go to the grocery store and stuff your fat face with crap other people killed and cooked for you.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 07:27 am
snood wrote:
I think that if I don't have a good cry on occasion, it is physically bad for me. I have even been known to put in a particularly tear-jerking dvd episode of The waltons or a sad movie, specifically to induce a sort of brain catharsis I get from just letting myself be frikkin SAD.

I will not be able to get the picture of you crying over an episode of the Waltons out of my head today snood.

If you ever feel you need a good cry, but are on a tight schedule, I advise you buy a copy of a Terms of Endearment DVD.

Cue it up to the scene where Debra Winger is saying goodbye to her boys.

I cannot watch that without instantly becoming a tearful pile of mush. I feel so much better afterwards.

As GW said, for women there's a large hormonal compent that very complicated.

There have been times I've become suddenly sad, as chumley described, or just plain tearful, with no particular sadness involved. Like snood said, it's a catharsis. As far as just tears, it can be a release of pent up energies.

Yeah, I don't worry about short bouts of sadness. I know they have their purpose.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 11:33 am
Chai wrote:
snood wrote:

I will not be able to get the picture of you crying over an episode of the Waltons out of my head today snood.

If we knew each other well, this wouldn't suprise you a bit.

If you ever feel you need a good cry, but are on a tight schedule, I advise you buy a copy of a Terms of Endearment DVD.

Cue it up to the scene where Debra Winger is saying goodbye to her boys.

I cannot watch that without instantly becoming a tearful pile of mush. I feel so much better afterwards.

It's one of my favorite parts, for tear-jerking. also the moment after she dies when her mom hugs Flap and says "there's nothing harder."

As GW said, for women there's a large hormonal compent that very complicated.

There have been times I've become suddenly sad, as chumley described, or just plain tearful, with no particular sadness involved. Like snood said, it's a catharsis. As far as just tears, it can be a release of pent up energies.

Yeah, I don't worry about short bouts of sadness. I know they have their purpose.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 11:36 am
Green Witch wrote:
[ Try and distract yourself by doing something you enjoy. For cjhsa it might be strangling a kitten, others might prefer to go for a walk, read a favorite book, or watch a funny movie.

I don't put kittens in strangleholds, only full grown pussy. Shocked
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 11:38 am
Yup, it's easy to imagine you strangling your women from both ends.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 11:40 am
snood wrote:
Yup, it's easy to imagine you strangling your women from both ends.

Doesn't it make you tear up? Here, have a tissue.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 12:01 pm
give it to your woman. she doubtless needs it.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 15 May, 2008 12:02 pm
snood wrote:
give it to your woman. she doubtless needs it.

I provide for her better than you ever could. Keep the whole box, I can afford it.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » For Reasons Unknown
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 08:38:41