Homey Tips, Hopefully Helpful

roger

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 12:48 pm
That reminds me, shewolf. For stains on the floor that just won't come up, mop with a quite wet mop, let the mop lie atop the stain, and give it a good splash of bleach. It usually works, and doesn't leave a bleached out area around the former stain.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 01:19 pm
And heating that wet sponge up in the microwave for a minute or two will kill all the nasties and make it smell a lot better.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 06:00 pm
Baking soda. Buy it. Know it. Love it. Use it.

Good for anything that needs an abrasive cleansing and a helluva lot better for the environment (and cheaper!) than Comet or Bon Ami.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 06:14 pm
Montana wrote:
Laughing I do the same thing with the using both sides of the paper.

I also stopped using pens, unless I have to fill out an important document. Pencils only for me and I have my electric pencil shapener nice and handy on my desk.

Dollar store is one of my best friends Embarrassed

girl dont even get started on dollar stores, plactics containers, food ,lately Sad ,
some minor tools (not the hammers or screwdrives, try the tapemeasures and rulers lol)

at mine they have name brand stuff, i got name brand bleache whatever its called ic ant think atm, namebrand spnges like 5 for a dollar, the ocellos and then theres the wool stuff, the blue scrubby metal things iornwool? i forget. oh well. like 10 for a dollar.

yeah anyways ranting. dollar stores ROCK.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 06:21 pm
Montana wrote:
There are very few things I won't scrimp on, which are cars, computer, and meat, although I will try my best to catch them on sale.

im the same way! i cant eat meat unless it is like from a place where i can see the man raising the cows and treating them nice and letting them be happy.

pure organic for me i hate factory meat, which is prolyl why i am losing weight i dont eat alot of meat at all really i just cant.(in washington state i ate organic meat from right down the road, and when i got back to lasvegas i would puke after eating meat and i couldnt figure it out)

i cant buy shitty cars either,STORYTIME

A long time ago on bonanza hill, we were driving down and took the turn right at the bottom, the whole front end kept going strasight or something, and we spun around twice hit a pole and all ran home, the front end was like hanging on the car in the middle but both wheel things were just broken all over the street. its like they both failed at the same time or something.

then we were on the freeway and the transmission sort of like exploded and fell off.

then the right front wheel broke one day pulling itno a 7-11.

and ive been in 7 other accidents. i hate shitty cars.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 08:31 pm
Anyone have tips for removing the hard water deposits from the inner walls of the tank on a toilet? While you're at it, any tips for removing the hard water deposits in the toilet bowl too?

The same hard water mineral stains are all over the inner bowl of the toilet except for under the water level in the toilet. Under the water level, it's a clean while porcelean. Above the water level it's a dark rusty color.

I've tried everything from pumice stones to baking soda and vinegar and the harsh industrial strength toilet chemical cleaners with mild acids. Even tried those gizmos that are supposed to go inside the tank and attract all the minerals to it to keep them from staining the porcelean.

Nada.... still there. And any ideas as to what's causing it? It's the only place in the apartment that has these hard water mineral stains. Don't have the problem in any of the sinks or bathtub, or dishwasher or washing machine.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 09:04 pm
I would have said vinegar, but you already tried it. Try it again, and let it stay in contact with the minerals longer. Overnight if you can.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 09:12 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
Montana wrote:
Laughing I do the same thing with the using both sides of the paper.

I also stopped using pens, unless I have to fill out an important document. Pencils only for me and I have my electric pencil shapener nice and handy on my desk.

Dollar store is one of my best friends Embarrassed

girl dont even get started on dollar stores, plactics containers, food ,lately Sad ,
some minor tools (not the hammers or screwdrives, try the tapemeasures and rulers lol)

at mine they have name brand stuff, i got name brand bleache whatever its called ic ant think atm, namebrand spnges like 5 for a dollar, the ocellos and then theres the wool stuff, the blue scrubby metal things iornwool? i forget. oh well. like 10 for a dollar.

yeah anyways ranting. dollar stores ROCK.

I do stay away from the plastic containers and use glass whenever I can. They have glass too, so I'm all set there.
The place is full of stuff I can never seem to get enough of, including chocolate :-D

I'm the dollar store girl around these parts and they all know me well over there. They even started accepting bank cards for payment, so no more chasing cash to shop at one of my favorite stores :-D
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 09:18 pm
OGIONIK wrote:
Montana wrote:
There are very few things I won't scrimp on, which are cars, computer, and meat, although I will try my best to catch them on sale.

im the same way! i cant eat meat unless it is like from a place where i can see the man raising the cows and treating them nice and letting them be happy.

pure organic for me i hate factory meat, which is prolyl why i am losing weight i dont eat alot of meat at all really i just cant.(in washington state i ate organic meat from right down the road, and when i got back to lasvegas i would puke after eating meat and i couldnt figure it out)

i cant buy shitty cars either,STORYTIME

A long time ago on bonanza hill, we were driving down and took the turn right at the bottom, the whole front end kept going strasight or something, and we spun around twice hit a pole and all ran home, the front end was like hanging on the car in the middle but both wheel things were just broken all over the street. its like they both failed at the same time or something.

then we were on the freeway and the transmission sort of like exploded and fell off.

then the right front wheel broke one day pulling itno a 7-11.

and ive been in 7 other accidents. i hate shitty cars.

Yup, yup, did the shitty car thing and am never going back! My car payments are hell right now since I'm currently unemployed, but it'll be paid in 3 more years and I'll be free. Free, I tell ya :-D

I will eventually get my meats organic, but that's very costly around these parts, so I have to settle for grocery store T-bones and baby back ribs on sale in the mean time.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 12:17 am
Sorry I can contribute nothing to the discussion of groundhogs and gophers. They're not really much of a problem here on the upper east side of Manhattan. I also have nothing to offer about cars. I've been in cars, but I don't own one and don't drive. As to hard water, the only kind of hard water I know about is ice.

As for the cleaning tips, outstanding. I'm gonna try the microwave one, Mame, to get off some sticky stuff. Jes, I've got baking soda. That stuff has magical properties.

Thanks for the other tips. Reading, noting, and absorbing.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 12:23 am
BM
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 08:56 pm
Okay, I put the bounce in the skillet, with the wet sponge on top, and tossed it in the microwave.

Think I'll ever take advice from you guys again?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 09:02 pm
not when you have to scrape that dryer sheet off Cool
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 09:23 pm
Not when you think you're going to plan a funeral for the microwave, either.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 12 May, 2008 11:04 pm
I usually put a bowl of water through a microwave cycle to loosen everything up - great idea to make it with a sponge/paper towel to clean up the mess! Thanks Guys.

Also- If you have something bread like you want to heat up in the microwave but are afraid it will get all hard and nasty - use a slightly moist paper towel around it.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 01:10 am
roger wrote:
Okay, I put the bounce in the skillet, with the wet sponge on top, and tossed it in the microwave.

Think I'll ever take advice from you guys again?

So Roger. You expect me to believe that you put a skillet into the microwave. Are you planning to try to sell me a bridge next--maybe one that connects Manhattan to Brooklyn? Not buying, kiddo. Nice try, though.

Quinn, Thanks for paper towel/micowave tip. I often use a paper towel to wrap things that are going into the microwave. Didn't know about the moistening part. I'll try that.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 01:45 am
If you don't use sponges in your kitchen, it is also a great way to sterilize your dish rag between washings. Just dunk it in water, fold it in quarters without wringing out all the water and put it in the microwave for 1 minute. It will steam the interior of your microwave and you have a boiling hot rag to clean the counters with as soon as it cools off enough to touch.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 11:37 am
All right, Roberta. Sometimes you think of something, and just have to say it.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 04:03 pm
Old sponges are great for starting seeds. As soon as the seeds begin to germinate on the moistened sponge sections, just cut the sponge hunks and plant the germinating seed into a pot with premoistened seed starter. That saves losing pots from "dead" seeds.
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 04:20 pm
Good idea, FM!

For clingy, static-y clothes, rub a sheet of Bounce on them.

To keep your celery and lettuce fresher longer, wrap in aluminum foil. I've tried this and it works.

Make sure your meats are at room temp before cooking.

Eggs should be at room temp before use in baking - you get higher and fluffier baking.

Buttrflynet: Lighter fluid will remove most dark, stubborn stains from sink and bathtub. Try that!

or this: Spread a paste of hydrogen peroxide and cream of tartar over the rusted area, and add a few drops of ammonia. Let it stand or 2 or 3 hours.

or this: Try using one of the rust removers (found on this site) to remove toilet bowl rings.

If you run about an inch of cold water before adding hot water in the bath, there will be absolutely no steam in your bathroom.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/04/2024 at 07:28:17