How often do you make a purchase?

littlek

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 11:47 am
I'm talking about a cup of coffee and a tank of gas as well as a new TV or computer. Big and small, how often do you buy something?

I used to buy something at least once per day. Usually it was something small like a cup of coffee or a bottled water. I am know learning to readjust my pay-out-mentality. I simple do not have any money some times between pay checks and can't buy things.

In urban settings I'd think that people buy more than once per day, in general. But, elsewhere, where stores are farther away, I'd guess people buy in bulk and may be buying more towards the once or less per week end of the spectrum.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,205 • Replies: 19
No top replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 11:54 am
every couple of days or so.

Like you,between paychecks we can literally not have anything. Not even change.

My gas is timed to generally a fillup every thursday/friday

I grocery shop wednesday and sometimes saturday

No coffee, tea, bus fare, target clearance crap, or anything like that for us unless specifically planned for and budgeted for. Even those excursions are once a month or so.

So.. over all.. unless you want to count each and every piece of food we buy, our purchases are about 4 or 5 a week..concentrated in the middle of the week
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 11:58 am
I voted every 3-5 days -- that'd be on average. Hard to say.

It's realistic for me to go about two weeks without making a purchase. I might have already gone grocery shopping and stocked up, have plenty of gas (I refill my tank every 6 weeks or so), and not have any incidental needs (clothes or whatever). I very rarely eat (or drink!) out.

That'd be most realistic if E.G. stopped off at the grocery store on the way home with some chicken breasts, or something, but it could happen even without his purchases.

But then I also will have errand days where I get groceries, get a few things from Target, get a few things from the hardware store, etc., etc.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 12:01 pm
I try to plan ahead so that I'm not making multiple trips. I usually buy everything I need for the week in one trip (which might be to multiple stores.) Sometimes I'll forget something and have to go back out but it is much easier to just get it all done in one fell swoop. But then I hate going shopping...
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 12:03 pm
STOP SHOPPING!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGi21YQFjMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEtlVzRYGIs&feature=related

http://www.revbilly.com/
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 12:06 pm
I shop every day ... mostly more than once:
bread rolls ("Brötchen") from the bakery, because they only taste when fresh. Vegetables, fruits and meat nearly every day from the butcher's/supermarket, too.

Go to the market on Wednesday and Saturday.

I get my diesel when the price is best.
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 03:12 pm
I might spend every 2 or three days at most. Sometimes longer. I grocery shop every two weeks and then have to go get fresh fruit and veggies every couple of days. The kids school is always sending something home for me to send money back with so that is an added expense....I am trying to cut back on my driving. If I don't have to go anywhere - I won't.
0 Replies

George

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 03:16 pm
A couple of us from the widget factory buy coffee in the afternoon,
so I guess I'd have to say every day -- or at least 4-5 times a week.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 03:17 pm
I wrongly voted every 1-2 days, it should have been more than once a day. Since I'm on the road almost every day for work, and go out pretty much every Friday & Saturday, I'm always spending money on something. Fill the car every other day, eat lunch out every day.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 03:21 pm
Probably every 3 to 5 days I take a trip to the groceries. I like to buy
fresh produce and fruits.

I never stop to buy coffee somewhere, but I might stop for lunch somewhere.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 03:24 pm
Grocery shop about every sixth day. Fill the car once a month-six weeks..
Not much else. Hmm, did buy a bunch of plants a few weeks ago. Hardly ever buy clothes, as I already have too many. Occasionally go crazy and order a lot of books. Must get into library use.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 03:27 pm
On the fresh fruit and veggies, my preferred way would be every 2 or 3 days, but here in sandville, the grocery store with an adequate produce section is a bit of a drive, in contrast to when I lived in northern california and there was a good co-op quite near my house.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 10 May, 2008 03:29 pm
I discovered the library late last year. What a novel idea.

Had breakfast at McDonalds. Tossed about half the square rubbery yellow thing on the sandwich. Kept the bacon and cheese.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 08:49 am
since we go to the pool monday to friday mornings , we stop to pick up some bread , fruit or veggies on the way home two or three times a week .
we buy fresh fish almost every friday/saturday - it lasts for two to three days . meat we usually buy only every other week . we usually buy what's on sale and keep a good supply of staples in the freezer .

fill up the gastank as neded - if we just drive within the city : every other week ; if we go out of town : fill 'er up where the price is best .
since we went to watertown , ny , on saturday , i filled up before returning . gasoline is about 80 cents cheaper in the U.S. than in canada (why are americans complaining about high gas prices ??? Shocked Laughing ) .
hbg
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 01:36 pm
I try to get out of the house every day. Shortly the farm stand will be opening up and I'll be making almost daily purchases there.

I can be fairly resolute about impulse purchases in bricks and mortar stores, but I'm very susceptable to the lure of second-hand books on the Internet.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 05:03 pm
i buy an ounce of coke on monday a qp of stress on monday and then an ounce of purp on friday.

ghettenomics
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 05:37 pm
i was kidding fyi Razz
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 11 May, 2008 05:45 pm
I like fruit and veggies to be as fresh as I can get them - so as the season for local fruit/veg comes up, I'm buying them more often.

Bread/milk other semi-staples, weekly.

Meat/cheese - when they're on for a good price every couple of weeks. I've been known to cook up 20 chicken breasts at a time and freeze them for later use.

Major staples, every couple of months. I've got to reel that back in to monthly.

Gas tank - roughly monthly if it's local driving only.

Subway fare - weekly.

~~

So - weekly this time of year, 4 - 5 times a week once we can get fresh local fruit/veg. I don't buy tea out - not a fan of eating out either - though I've been getting a $2 - 3 breakfast on my way to work 1 - 2x a week lately. I'm working on getting more eggs into my diet.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2008 06:15 pm
I have no car and bus to work. I pass the grocery store coming and going, so I usually stop on the way home to get supper. Maybe a piece of meat, if i can find something good and cheap, or a couple slices of cheese from the deli for a toasted cheese sammich, a nice fresh veggie or two. Something for lunch the following day, if I haven't got anything planned.

I try not to have leftovers, because I never get back to them. Ditto with the freezer. I should try harder, but stuff goes into the freezer and never comes back out!
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Wed 9 Jul, 2008 01:36 pm
I voted every 3 to 5 days because over the past 5 years my total purchasing habits have HAD to change. I have watched the American economy and it's descent in its whirlwind downward spiral that looks none too pretty & is extremely unsetttling. Rolling Eyes I have sudden rushes of desire to place every dollar to my name in Switzerland where at least a dollar is and always has been backed by gold. I'm sure everyone must have noticed the prices of things have sort of TRIPLED!! Now damages at the gas pump are beginning to show up EVERYWHERE & in EVERYTHING we must purchase, be it bread, sugar, or gasoline.
0 Replies