A Special Countdown

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 01:04 pm
sozobe wrote:
That's a nice plane!

What's the scale?

(Agreed about nice writing, too...)

For most aerobatic planes it would be something like 1:6.792.

I'm glad that everyone has been enjoying my entries. I apologize for the sometimes odd grammar and spelling. I have been posing these at like 5:00AM here during my all night study sessions.

When I'm done, I'll probably cut and paste these into a word document and edit them. What I do with it after that is anybody's guess.

countdown: 3 days 20 hours 53 minutes

T
K
O
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 13 May, 2008 02:19 pm
Diest TKO wrote:
littlek wrote:
TKO - this is a piece of journalism - you should submit it somewhere.

Like where?

T
K
O
If you think small-scale, your college/university magazine. On a larger scale, a local newspaper?
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 01:38 am
countdown: 3 days 9 hours 8 minutes

MEMORY #7: Losing the Fight Against the Tank

Through high school I was a tobacco educator in a student led program. We would go to local elementary schools and present to 5th graders about the dangers of smoking. In addition to that we would field question about middle school and high school in general. It was something I was very passionate about.

During my two years at my community college, I felt like something was missing, and that desire to get involved is probably what encouraged me to become so active on my university upon arrival.

I put on programming at our school which was need based, and much of what I did was related to wellness education. Later, I joined a group on campus which was specifically designed to address student needs in wellness education.

We were the campus source for said programming. This was more than just an organization though. We were paid for our work and were expected to stay updated on related topics.

We stayed informed because often we would have to field questions related to delicate topics. Examples included unplanned pregnancy, new medications like Gardisil, date rape, and depression (or other mental health related topics).

One of the specific service we provided was related to many of the campus greek houses. Many houses must complete some sort of educational programming to keep their charter. While some houses are enthusiastic about various programming, others seem to try and scrape by with doing just the minimum.

The day of my memory, was in the fall a few weeks before "Greek Week." Greek Week is for those unaware a week of programming put on campus to build community and display spirit for the various fraternities and sororities. It is custom to build a float. For some houses, this is a bigger deal than homecoming or any other large campus event.

The house that shall remain nameless requested that we present to their house on the topics of alcohol and safer sex. We arrived early, as we always did, and waited to be greeted by someone from the house. Nobody came. We decided to simply wait on the porch until we were addressed. We could not set up because we didn't know where we would be presenting.

As we sat on the porch we looked at their float. It was a large wooden tank built with moderate skill. It's paint was a 30 minute spray-paint job of olive green, black, and brown meant to resemble camouflage.

Then we noticed it. In bold yellow letters on the back read the phrase:

"Porch Monkey's for Life."

It was alarming. Being that we still had not been greeted, it was already awkward. Add to that the fact that I was the only non-black member of the group (other than my friend AJ, he was Indian, and a woman Christina). I could tell the other presenters were uncomfortable about going into the house to present, and other's were just upset.

After a considerable amount of time we were finally greeted by the VP of the house. He directed us to the dining hall and told us where we would be presenting.

We began the presentation with a crash course on condoms. We received boos from the crowd, and the girls in the group were whistled at or received cat calls. I was new to the team so I was in a support role at this presentation, but I found myself becoming more and more angry.

Later, we had volunteers from the house come forward and attempt many simple tasks while wearing special goggles. The goggles distort the user's vision in a way that the brain sometimes becomes confused and the user can loose balance. The main idea here being that the wearer is in a simulated loss of motor skills, much like if they were drunk.

Long story short, the volunteers were encouraged by the audience at large to be disruptive and rude.

By time it was over, I couldn't leave fast enough. Once outside, I felt like I could breathe easy knowing that not every other word I heard would be the word "fag."

I was upset. I told my supervisor. I told her that if she had to sign off on anything saying that they had completed the training to not sign it. I was insistent that they learn something.

I posted later a note on my facebook page describing like this my experience. the note raised a lot of controversy. I was called in by my supervisor and told I would lose my job if I didn't take it down. She had been bombarded with phone calls all day from the executive board of the fraternity in question. They like to use words like "alumni" and "powerful." My fellow educators sided with me and were appauled when they learned of our supervisor's ultimatum. I argued with her, but ultimately felt that I loved my job too much. I folded. I felt I had to pick my battles.

because of my note, I attracted a lot of heat and the entirety of the house began addressing me very aggressively. I learned that word of the tank with the "porch monkey" on the back of it had made it's way to their fraternity's national office, and that they didn't like the heat.

I was unapologetic, and after being forced to take the note down, I felt like the gloves were off. I found myself in public debate over the appropriateness of having such a thing on display.

Their defense was that their house had a large porch and that they had some time ago began calling themselves "porch monkeys." I distinctly remember them aggressively telling me how the house has "a black guy."

I tried to reason with them.
I tried to reason with my supervisor, but she signed off on their training.
I almost lost my job.

Sometime later, I learned that several years ago the same house had performed a skit in black face make-up at a Greek week event.

This is my story of defeat. I lost. I sometimes wish that I had not taken down the note, and just quit the job.

Some changes require more than just one person, I hope my former supervisor has the same regret that she didn't support me when the heat came down.

T
K
O
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 02:10 am
I love this thread, Diest TKO.

I absolutely love it.

Only...I am going to have to go and look up "porch monkey" because I have no idea what it means.

"In my life as an engineer, through my good work, and through my research, I have saved more lives than any man can take in one day."
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 08:08 am
I'm glad you are enjoying it. I'm on my way to my last final. Orbital Spaceflight Mechanics II. After that, I'm getting n my car and driving to St. Louis to see my favorite band of all time, Radiohead.

countdown: 3 days 1 hour 54 minutes

Today should be good.
K
O
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 14 May, 2008 10:58 am
Diest TKO wrote:
I'm glad you are enjoying it. I'm on my way to my last final. Orbital Spaceflight Mechanics II. After that, I'm getting n my car and driving to St. Louis to see my favorite band of all time, Radiohead.

countdown: 3 days 1 hour 54 minutes

Today should be good.
K
O

Your favorite band made one of my favorite albums of all time - OK Computer....

You're a good person. It makes me happy to know there are people like you out there. I wished you success and congratulations - but I also want to wish you joy in your life - you deserve it.

Have fun tonight and enjoy the music...
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 03:45 am
countdown: 1 day 6 hours 28 minutes

MEMORY #8: Late nights

I've had many late nights in my college career. However, too few due to late night liaisons. No. Instead I have spent a many nights up late compiling computer code while posting on forums such as A2K and my community blog. I've probably had more sit down meals at restaurants at 3:00 AM than I have had during the hours of civilized society.

However some nights, I'm not awake for any real reason. I sit, and wait. Wait for something amazing to happen. I will wander outside and listen to the silence. No cars, no people. I hope to be the only person to see or experience something special. It rarely happens, but that's fine. If it happened every time, it wouldn't be special.

When the birds start singing, I know it's bedtime. For the sake of pride, I often dive under the covers if I sense a sunrise coming.

Does it really matter what burns the midnight oil?

T
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Fri 16 May, 2008 04:13 am
countdown: 1 day 5 hours 50 minutes

I know I'm behind everyone. Another memory to come later today. I'll finish this strong. I've been thinking about what memories to end on. only two left.

The really screwed up part is that I have to be awake in 3 hours for an all day presentation for my senior design team.

The midnight oils burns.
K
O
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 02:57 am
countdown: 8 hours 44 minutes

MEMORY #9: Life Goals

In my second year in college I began becoming more professionally oriented. I began to care about having a career and I started working on my resume. I remember how my environment made me feel like having an internship was important. More than than important, it felt like it was necessary.

I felt weird that I didn't have a summer internship. I decided to work harder in my junior year.

I began early by attending some programs put on by the career center at my campus. They made it seem easy. The entire thing was odd because in the engineering community, we are constantly being told this line about how important we are and how jobs come to us. To me it was all odd and I didn't really realize what was happening to me.

By second semester I had not had an interview and I was becoming very depressed. I had really applied myself and been extremely disciplined. So by April, it was obvious I would not have an internship.

I needed something to feel that void. So I left. I just got into my car, and I drove. My road trip in total was 7,000 miles over two months. There is something very liberating about being on your own. I had lots of time to think. Heal.

I was in San Diego. A friend had invited me to a birthday party. I didn't really know anybody. I remember being approached by some very...

uh...

Californian people. Californian youth at least. Out of high school, but still younger than me. Beautiful people. Nicely tan. They seemed interested in me. I was a new person in their circle, so I stood out. I was dressed a lot nicer than normal that night. I could almost blend in.

They were very interested in what I did. Not in Engineering though, just about how much money I would make. They very very certain that I belonged on the west coast, and that I'd need to find a job out there. I said how much I liked the area and mentioned that I had family in the area. However I followed that with how I liked some companies for the projects they worked on. When I told then the cites I'd be in they seemed to turn their nose up at the thought of living in the midwest.

a "fly-over" state

I replied, "Yeah I guess our job is to just make the food. I guess I'm out of place."

I thanked my friend for inviting me, and left. As I left, I was still disgusted by these superficial plastic materialist people.

Then I remembered how I had become so obsessed with some job goal. A goal I didn't even set for myself. It was set for me. I did want a job, but for the experience, the skills. The casualty of this obsession was that I became sadly aware of two truths.

1) I didn't have a single goal in my like that didn't have something to do a with a career.

2) I had stopped doing the things I loved to become a professional.

I spent the second half of my trip just soaking in the beauty of the Pacific northwest. As I drove back east, I remember sleeping on the side of the road in Montana, only to wake up to the most majestic sunrise. It was just for me.

No cars.
No people.

I think the sunset gets all the glory, but sometimes a sunrise can be breathtaking.

It's honestly a shame I'm not a morning person, and it's too common that if I see the sunrise, I'm stuck i a building.

Now I make new goals for myself. I let myself wander. I dream again of new adventures.

Being professional is the just a hobby now. My real occupation is being spectacular.

T
K
O
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Sat 17 May, 2008 04:30 am
'If you can't be the poet- be the poem'

(I think I read that David Carradine said this - the kung fu guy - I guess he's not quoted often enough having said it for it to come up on google but I'm 99% sure it was him).

But anyway - sounds like you have the 'skills' to have a career - but you also have the soul to have quite a life too and be someone who can find what you need to enjoy it...best of both worlds- I'm happy for you.
(This is one of my favorite threads now too - it always makes me feel happy...does graduating mean the thread will end?

I'll try not to think selfishly-

HAPPY GRADUATION DAY!
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 02:31 am
I'm still composing my final thoughts. I'll try to finish today or tomorrow.

T
K
O
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 19 May, 2008 05:42 am
Hey Hey

"HAPPY GRADUATION"

Hope you had the best time Very Happy Well Done TKO!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Tue 20 May, 2008 10:35 pm
Best time indeed.

Quote:
Another turning point;
a fork stuck in the road.

Time grabs you by the wrist;
directs you where to go.

So make the best of this test
and don't ask why.

It's not a question
but a lesson learned in time.

It's something unpredictable
but in the end it's right.
I hope you had the time of your life.

So take the photographs
and still frames in your mind.

Hang it on a shelf
In good health and good time.

Tattoos of memories
and dead skin on trial.

For what it's worth,
it was worth all the while.

(music break)

From the boys of Green Day

Joe(and me)Nation
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 12:39 am
Geez, how did I miss this? What a nice thread, TKO. Good stories. Congratulations.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 01:11 am
(waiting)
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 02:17 am
I've made you wait long enough. I apologize for that. I've been composing my thoughts and doing some reflection. I think I know what my last memory is now.

countdown: (post) 3 days 15 hours 15 minutes

MEMORY 10: What's in a name?

(NOTE: Yes, I plan to disclose my real name. It's kind of integral to the story.)

When I was young I didn't know my proper name. Not at least until I was 15. The circumstances of this revolve around my parents having a spelling discrepancy on my birth certificate and my social security card.

One read: Alias Seichi Tagami
The other: Alai Seiichi Tagami

The day that I went to get my driver's learner permit, I saw my birth certificate for the first time. I immediately notices the spelling of my names. Needless to say, that evening, I had words with my parents...

I decided on a hybrid of those two names: Alias Seiichi Tagami

I went by this for years. But mostly, my friends and family just called me "Seich" for short.

When I first arrived at my school, I decided to change my name. Or at least change the name I go by. I had some weird fixation on the idea that my identity was bound to my name and that Seiichi was someone who let others walk on him, and that I needed to reinvent myself.

The first attempt at a new identity was to take my first name Alias, and shorten it to just "Ali." I didn't work. I just couldn't do it naturally. It was too forced. I was simply trying too hard to do the whole reinvention thing.

One of my early college friends I met had a really hard time pronouncing my name. I told her that "Seiichi" is just like "Say Chi". So she just started calling me Chi. I liked it. I kept it.

What I didn't realize then, that is so clear to me now, was that my desire to be somebody new was not something I needed to try so hard for. It was inevitable. The acquisition of a new name was just ironic.

I was named by my Great Grandfather Ikeda. He came from Japan at the turn of the 20th century at the tender age of 16. His ship came into the San Fransisco Bay on April 18th 1906, the day of the great quake. I like to joke that as the fog cleared and he saw a city in flames that he quickly pulled out his brochure and began to complain. The ship would be leave the bay. It landed and My grandfather began to farm in the Salinas Valley.

His family grew and he eventually even bought land. It was a great success for an immigrant.

He gave me my middle name; the primary name I would go by. The name means "Sincerest first born."

Sei - Sincerity
Ichi - 1 (yes, like the number.)

Number names are not uncommon in Asian cultures, and usually symbolize some statue in the family. For me, it was that I am the bearer of name. Only I can carry on the family name, and culture.

(I imagine your wondering how I plan to tie this back into college. I would too. I'm trying to figure it out. Be patient with me. I know where I'm going... I think)

My first name Alias/Alai was a creation by my parents from the word "ally." This was largely due to the fact that racial tension between my families was ended when I was born. My birth granted both sides of my family the perspective needed to come to terms. Hense, I was the bridge; the "ally." I guess they didn't like the spelling or something... Wither way that's the etymology behind those two.

So here I was at college looking for a new identity, a new purpose, a new creed. I think then that it is interesting my new identity was to become a community builder, mentor and student advocate. Interesting because there in the name was the "sincere friend."

I chose my Mentor in my job as an Resident Assistant. We are very close. She challenged me to make a legacy. Every year, at the closing banquet she would close with...

"Live, love, leave a legacy."

I slowly began to understand what a legacy really was. I was not people remembering what your name was, and what you did. It was instead making long lasting changes around you that went beyond your time.

In my weekly lunches with my Mentor, she told me that she was proud of the legacy I had left at the school. I asked her what she thought my legacy was, and she said that her department would fail without the students leading each other. She thanked me for staying involved, and explained how many students I had introduced to student advocacy. She thanked me for being passionate about what I did. She acknowledged the struggle I had through college, and told me that I had I not chosen to engage face first many of those challenges I that I would not have grown into the man I was.

I arrived at graduation an hour before the ceremony. I looked around at the sea of graduates. We were handed a card with our name on it. We were supposed to write out the pronunciation of our name.

Oh brother.

I wrote: Aa-lie-us Say-ee-chee Taa-gaa-mee

I knew it would get butchered. I knew this because of every class and every teacher I have ever had in my entire academic life. I held my card and thought about that fact. That on the first day of every class, I had to speak up and say more than just "here."

As I walked up to the stage, I handed the speaker the card. There was a long pause... then a awkward attempt at my name, then a apologetic shrug. I shrugged back and made my way across the stage. As I shook the hand of the Chancellor, he said

"close enough?"

I said back,

"It's not my name that should be remembered."

I don't believe that because my Great Grandfather gave me my name that I fulfilled any sort of duty, or calling. I don't believe that my name defines me at all. I am proud to be defined by my actions.

On April 18th 2006, I turned 22, and my family turned 100. I began thinking about my Great Grandfather, and I wrote a poem. I will close with it.

Alias Seiichi Tagami wrote:

A Cheers

Now at 22,
looking back
I see that my training wheels are off
and that I am finally a part of life.
So to those
who helped me
I give you
cheers.

To Jeremy's departure.
If you had not left
I would have latched on to you
forever.

To the kids with razor tongues and spiteful eyes.
Not envy,
just destruction.
Because you made me
Hate you
and love
me.

To Smarts.
For making me survive
jealous love
Yet still laugh at all my
Desperate jokes.

To Kathy.
The first lamb
I
ever thought
I could
marry.

To Jose.
Because
you became family
and truly my
brother.

To Taylor.
A partner in crime,
A madman with
cap and a camera.
We could have been rivals,
We choose to be best friends.
Don't ever quit.

To Corinne.
You told me
to do what ever it takes
to make myself free.
And I've been doing my best.
I'm glad you can swim
in the stardust
and sleep in peace

To the kids with shining wheels and the girls with the tight sweaters.
**** you.

To Steph.
For imagination.
For respect.
For love.

To countless teachers and counselors.
For not believing in me.
For the patience they denied.
For my time they took.
For every "F."
I'll still win without you.

To Sensei.
For commanding my respect
in my youth.
Not an easy task.
Thank
You.

To Dr. Toste.
Never my teacher,
just a grumpy old man
Never afraid to remind me
That I was just
another
asshole kid
dancing like jackass
on the paper thin stage of
life.
Thank you,
And I'm sorry,
Pot-luck means bring something,
I'll never forget again.

To Meagan.
For innocence
For focus.
For near death.

To the bird.
For shitting on my car.
Or at least trying

To Dr. Fannin.
For exercising no compassion
For a 2ft yard stick.
Yeah,
**** you too.

To every genius I encounter.
For keeping me sober and humble.
Because
I could be just like you.
But my dunce cap
keeps me warm

To Mother,
For the leather skin,
For the weapon of reason,
For the weapon of forgiveness.
I wield them well
And
Do great harm.

To Ismael,
You wanted me to be; to exist.
Thank you
for your
prayers.

To Junior Flores.
For training my ears
to the tune
of a sweet and low tongue
that speaks only artificial sweetener.
Still a donkey
with his
carrot in the mud

To Senior Flores.
For training my heart
To speak.
For poems.
For songs.
For something human.
Check me out.

To Maia.
To a hero.
My sister
and
most loyal fan

To boys with hungry mouths and loose zippers.
Because they never taste life,
And their zippers will eventually rust.

To Father,
For a legacy,
For pride,
For compassion,
For real masculinity,
For strength.
I'll never cut my hair.
I'll never say die.

Kanpai. (Cheers.)

A man with many names called
L
I
A
S
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 02:22 am
Thank you everyone who took the time to read. It felt good taking the time to do this. I have decided to cut and paste these ten memories into a larger document and edit them to some degree. What I do with them from that point, is unknown. I hope that it painted a little picture of who I am, and perhaps pulled the canvas a little tighter on the picture of who I will be.

Take off successful.
K
O
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 04:20 am
What a pleasure it has been to meet you.

Joe(alias Jonathan)Nation
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 07:30 am
What Jonathan said, TKO. Congratulations!

http://www.usm.maine.edu/careers/images/animations/animatedGrad.gif
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 21 May, 2008 07:45 am
Oh wow!

Lovely stuff. Thanks for letting us read it.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 05:04:55