Hayward Fault Showing Signs of Life in California

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 08:08 pm
Just what California needs on top of everything else. The Hayward fault, runs through the heart of some of the most populated areas containing some of the oldest buildings in California, came to life a few minutes ago. Centered in the Oakland/Piedmont area it has been reported as registering between 3.5 and 5.0, no reports of damage.

Scientists have forewarned for years that the Hayward fault is ready to go at any moment and is due to produce a quake as large or larger then the 1989 Loma Prieta quake near Santa Cruz. The difference is that cities have built emergency services and residential areas directly on top of the fault. UC Berkeley is a prime example.

Nothing on the news wires yet so I can't quote any sources.

Hope this isn't a precursor to a larger event...

Does one ever get over the nervousness about earthquakes once they've experienced large ones?

Ah, here come the first official reports.... 4.1 it is.

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/recenteqs/Quakes/nc40146204.htm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 852 • Replies: 10
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2003 09:39 pm
Um. I moved from west LA to northern Cal, advancing north with the earthquake faults. 4.1., sorry, small peanuts here. But on the larger view of things, I have no idea if 4.1 is meaningful.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 10:14 am
It's been a while since I've felt any shaking at all. Not even a slight bump or wave. I don't get too nervous about it, but I admit that lately I've been wondering if we're due for a big one since it's been so long.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 01:00 pm
The interesting thing is that there were almost simultaneous earthquakes in Panama and Indonesia at around the same time. The Pacific Rim is coming to life again just like it did right before the series of large quakes we had in both north and south California.

Was watching a show last night that says the experts are now saying the Hayward fault has a 62% chance of a 7.0+ quake in the next 30 years.

That's going to be a very costly quake in terms of human and economic loss. The good thing about these smaller quakes is it catches people's attention for a few days and a few more actually make efforts to put together emergency survival kits and make plans for themselves and family.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 01:05 pm
Forecasting earthquakes is still an art, but they're doing a pretty good job of accurately predicting them. It's still a hit and miss proposition, but it's still a very good idea to heed what they say about what to expect; do all the necessary safety recommendations on stablilizing your water heater, put all heavy books on the bottom of book shelves, put anchors on bookshelves, have extra bottled water and food, and first aid kits in the house. Know how and where to turn off the gas to your house with the proper tool.
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 01:51 pm
I made a great new puchase which I highly recommend.

It's a radio that has solar panels on it. If you don't have sun there is a hand crank that will charge it up. No batteries!
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 01:57 pm
Now that's a great idea.... Where'd you get it? Any resource on the 'net for it?

I have a small transistor type radio with batteries but that sounds like an even better idea. How long do you have to crank it to give it a sustaining charge?
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 02:01 pm
It has a light too!

http://ccrane.com/freeplay_plus.asp

There are others around too, if you look. Different sizes and prices, but this one seems to be very rugged and of good quality. AM/FM and short wave. Flashlight, Solar and Crank. I've seen smaller ones at places like Sharper Image and in travel or electronic catalogues.

You crank it 30 times for 30 minutes. The solar charge can gofor days depending how long it sits in the sun.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 02:07 pm
Solar powered light? Awesome.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 08:08 pm
There's a whole solor powered everything store on my route from San Francisco on highway 101, can't quite remember name or exact location (Hopland?), but it is a feast....
will post when I zero in on it better.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 08:28 pm
Fealola, I think that radio is made in South Africa.

I have a brother and family living in San Francisco, I'll be watching this.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Hayward Fault Showing Signs of Life in California
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/14/2024 at 04:19:12