Few questions

OGIONIK

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 03:48 pm
Real estate prices down

food prices up

is this the return of the small-time farmer?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 829 • Replies: 3
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 10:01 pm
I would guess no. I'd think that low real estate prices are more likely to invite the large corporate farms to expand than to inspire more small farms.

Are the growers actually making any more money? Or are the additional costs of foods simply reflecting their higher costs of producing them? I don't know if someplace like the USDA would have numbers on that sort of thing yet.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sat 26 Apr, 2008 10:12 pm
Re: Few questions
To say that real estate prices are down is simply short-term, sensationalistic media-driven pap. Witness a 30 year real estate pricing chart for most major areas North America.

To say that food prices are up is also short-term, sensationalistic media-driven pap. Such a claim would have to be taken in the context of after-inflation after-tax dollars over a substantive time frame (ie 30 years) as compared to after-inflation, after-tax earnings for a given employment class in North America, and in such a corrected context, food prices are not out of line.

The real question is how the given prices are reflected in the context of after-inflation, after-tax dollars over a substantive time frame as compared to after-inflation, after-tax earnings for a given employment class in North America.

The real question is how does the net worth / net buying power of any given employment class compare over a substantive time frame.
0 Replies

OGIONIK

Reply Mon 28 Apr, 2008 07:15 am
im from vegas so i saw alot more of the price drop, its pretty much 30% lower.
0 Replies